• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Gold Plating AP

Markaplan

Gold Patron
Certified
9/10/20
There is no plating on Earth which is immune to scratches. But having a thicker plating will of course allow the scratches to look gold rather than the color of steel.
Gold alloy is generally softer than stainless steel, and scratches will eventually show up. In fact the gen gold watches are scratched easier than the steel ones, and that is one good thing about wearing plated gold watches.. these are cheap and you won't feel bad knocking them around.

I have worked with watches with flying-tommy's plating and I must say that the color is accurate to genuine AP gold color. I will not call it 100% (I did a side by side comparison with 2 of my gold gens) but it is close enough to pass off without concerns in real life. Besides, both gen gold and plated gold will change over time when exposed to the elements, so there is no one absolute look to how a "gen gold" color should look. Some will be lighter and some will be darker, and the basis of comparison will therefore be when both are brand new from the respective sources.

Just be aware of the color oxidation, and also the fact that plating will eventually wear off, but I consider it a permanent process like how a car paint coat will last the lifetime of the car with maintenance and care and touch ups. This is just science and there is no magic formula. flying-tommy did a very good job with your watch and it is looking the best it can as a franken. It is a nice watch, congrats and wear it well.

I appreciate your honest opinion, kind words and advise. You mentioned that the plating is similar to painting cars and with the right maintenance it will last longer. What kind of maintenance?
Thank you
[mention]legend [/mention]
[mention]flying-tommy [/mention]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I appreciate your honest opinion, kind words and advise. You mentioned that the plating is similar to painting cars and with the right maintenance it will last longer. What kind of maintenance?
Thank you

The “maintenance” I was referring to in this case means taking care of the watch to prolong the durability of the plating.
This includes:

- keeping the case clean and wiping it down with a dry soft cloth after every wear
- keeping it stored in a dry , dark and cool place when watch isn’t worn
- minimize wearing it daily or at least exposing it to rain and other elements, strong sunlight and mineral strong environments like the beach or at sea
- of course good general care like avoiding of collision and impact with hard surfaces.

Reactions: flying-tommy

Markaplan

Gold Patron
Certified
9/10/20
The “maintenance” I was referring to in this case means taking care of the watch to prolong the durability of the plating.
This includes:

- keeping the case clean and wiping it down with a dry soft cloth after every wear
- keeping it stored in a dry , dark and cool place when watch isn’t worn
- minimize wearing it daily or at least exposing it to rain and other elements, strong sunlight and mineral strong environments like the beach or at sea
- of course good general care like avoiding of collision and impact with hard surfaces.

I appreciate the tips. It’s my first gold watch so this will hell a lot.
Thank you

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I appreciate the tips. It’s my first gold watch so this will hell a lot.
Thank you

Of course, in any worst case, you can always plate it again. Do take note that plating will not remove existing scratches. The scratches will need to be buffed or polished out, and the refinishing done if necessary before plating can be done. Enjoy your watch, whatever you call it (rep, franken, gen), it is a nice watch where it is worn. The forum dissects a watch, but real life is where the watch is worn.

Markaplan

Gold Patron
Certified
9/10/20
Of course, in any worst case, you can always plate it again. Do take note that plating will not remove existing scratches. The scratches will need to be buffed or polished out, and the refinishing done if necessary before plating can be done. Enjoy your watch, whatever you call it (rep, franken, gen), it is a nice watch where it is worn. The forum dissects a watch, but real life is where the watch is worn.

The watch was brand new when [mention]flying-tommy [/mention] gold plated it. It looks bran new now after the plating. Tommy did a great job.
I appreciate your input and I agree with you. People on the forum compare micro pictures with GEN. A lot of the flaws we talk about cannot really be seen when the watch is on the wrist. Have a great day

Razer126

Do not accept unsolicited offers
10/6/20
I have been wanting to franken an Ap for a while. I always loved the gold ones but was scared to invest in a rep gold franken watch because of two reasons.

1) Rep gold color is not even close to the GEN.
2) I was afraid that if the watch gets scratches the silver stainless steel color will pop because at the end of the day reps have a thin sheet of gold plating or gold wrap.

I did some research and found out that it is possible to gold plate a rep to try to match the color of GEN as much as possible.
You can also increase the thickness of the plating, so when the watch gets a scratch the silver color will not pop easily.
I started asking the different people who do gold plating. What kind of scratches will a 10 micron thickness plating hold? Some people told me 3 microns is enough some said 10. I got lost because no one gave me definite answers based on facts and tests. I felt that they only know how to hold plate and did not understand the science behind it.

While doing all of this research. I found [mention]flying-tommy [/mention] and was amazed with all the great reviews he has on our forum.
I messaged him and told him about my franken dream watch and he was very convincing. All it took to convince me is one answer from him.
He sent me the bellow photo. He tested his gold plating thickness by scratching it with a screw driver. When I saw the picture I was shocked. The results are simply amazing and there is nothing more I could ask for.

Also the color matching is on point in my opinion it’s 100% like GEN.

To put it simply [mention]flying-tommy [/mention] is the Master of gold plating.
I always loved the the RGRC but a GEN costs around €30,000 which I could not afford.

[mention]flying-tommy [/mention] and [mention]dmuit [/mention] built an amazing watch for me with GEN parts. The rose gold plating is fabulous and simply perfect. He even gold plated the screws on the bezel white gold so they look identical to GEN. I also bought an extra bezel and matched the rose gold plating on the watch.

Thank you guys for such a great build.

0961d83fb1e5bf6ff032b93e084a2d70.jpg

75dfb228fafacf8f070e25e4141ad4fc.jpg

375801a1c20d635d2d63eaf5acc24b5a.jpg

0c77f269bab9c072eaedb9dd81970636.jpg

2a29f8c0d59178e53cf4a064977e6179.jpg

ddc7f79ea65da08b6c961984f1537cbe.jpg

1ef19f42cfbe982b32c900539cded016.jpg

a1dbb44bd2edf8717724001003dac05c.jpg

7f0433009508eb44043e8d73afbd7e7b.jpg

When you say that you purchased the extra bezel to be plated, the plated bezel looks like it sits perfectly on the gasket. It was my probably mistaken knowledge that Rubberclads couldn't have their bezels replaced with a non rubbewrclad bezel as the fitment was off. Can bezels be swapped out no problem on a rubberclad perhaps even with a ceramic bezel?
Did you source a gen bezel to be plated for the project or a rep one from a dealer? I ask Because after looking at your watch it has definitely gone up much higher on my list of projects. I was never a fan of the pounders gold dial and this finished project looks absolutely awesome.

Last edited:

Markaplan

Gold Patron
Certified
9/10/20
When you say that you purchased the extra bezel to be plated, the plated bezel looks like it sits perfectly on the gasket. It was my probably mistaken knowledge that Rubberclads couldn't have their bezels replaced with a non rubbewrclad bezel as the fitment was off. Can bezels be swapped out no problem on a rubberclad perhaps even with a ceramic bezel?
Did you source a gen bezel to be plated for the project or a rep one from a dealer? I ask Because after looking at your watch it has definitely gone up much higher on my list of projects. I was never a fan of the pounders gold dial and this finished project looks absolutely awesome.

To be honest I am not sure. The bezel is a rep one gold plated. From my knowledge it fits perfectly. I didn’t try to replace it with the rubber clad yet. Let’s here from the more experienced members.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Can bezels be swapped out no problem on a rubberclad perhaps even with a ceramic bezel?

The answer is yes and it has been done on gens in real life. I have seen a RGRC fitted with a ceramic bezel myself.
This is not the same watch I saw but the owner did the same thing.
ZRLNc5.jpg

You have actually gotten it backward in a way, let me explain.
For the RGRC bezels, the material below the rubber cladding (steel or gold) + the rubber cladding itself, is supposed to give the same proportions as a regular stainless/gold bezel for the other models.
By removing the rubber cladding, the bezel size will be slightly smaller and the bezel screws will need to be modified a little or look protruded.
So a steel or gold bezel will fit on the RGRC, no issues. It is the removal of the cladding which will make the bezel look a little off. :legend:

Reactions: Anonray and QueTip

Razer126

10/6/20
The answer is yes and it has been done on gens in real life. I have seen a RGRC fitted with a ceramic bezel myself.
This is not the same watch I saw but the owner did the same thing.
ZRLNc5.jpg

You have actually gotten it backward in a way, let me explain.
For the RGRC bezels, the material below the rubber cladding (steel or gold) + the rubber cladding itself, is supposed to give the same proportions as a regular stainless/gold bezel for the other models.
By removing the rubber cladding, the bezel size will be slightly smaller and the bezel screws will need to be modified a little or look protruded.
So a steel or gold bezel will fit on the RGRC, no issues. It is the removal of the cladding which will make the bezel look a little off. :legend:

This is a really great information. I appreciate you taking time to explain it to me. I really dig the look of the ceramic on this model.

[mention]Markaplan [/mention] Thanks for your insight as well. Your watch looks sick!

Markaplan

Gold Patron
Certified
9/10/20
This is a really great information. I appreciate you taking time to explain it to me. I really dig the look of the ceramic on this model.

[mention]Markaplan [/mention] Thanks for your insight as well. Your watch looks sick!

Thank you

cbd3add984519b73db2330e0a8e21c1d.jpg

Reactions: P..DR..D and MFK100

Kmmas

7/4/15
I have been wanting to franken an Ap for a while. I always loved the gold ones but was scared to invest in a rep gold franken watch because of two reasons.

1) Rep gold color is not even close to the GEN.
2) I was afraid that if the watch gets scratches the silver stainless steel color will pop because at the end of the day reps have a thin sheet of gold plating or gold wrap.

I did some research and found out that it is possible to gold plate a rep to try to match the color of GEN as much as possible.
You can also increase the thickness of the plating, so when the watch gets a scratch the silver color will not pop easily.
I started asking the different people who do gold plating. What kind of scratches will a 10 micron thickness plating hold? Some people told me 3 microns is enough some said 10. I got lost because no one gave me definite answers based on facts and tests. I felt that they only know how to hold plate and did not understand the science behind it.

While doing all of this research. I found [mention]flying-tommy [/mention] and was amazed with all the great reviews he has on our forum.
I messaged him and told him about my franken dream watch and he was very convincing. All it took to convince me is one answer from him.
He sent me the bellow photo. He tested his gold plating thickness by scratching it with a screw driver. When I saw the picture I was shocked. The results are simply amazing and there is nothing more I could ask for.

Also the color matching is on point in my opinion it’s 100% like GEN.

To put it simply [mention]flying-tommy [/mention] is the Master of gold plating.
I always loved the the RGRC but a GEN costs around €30,000 which I could not afford.

[mention]flying-tommy [/mention] and [mention]dmuit [/mention] built an amazing watch for me with GEN parts. The rose gold plating is fabulous and simply perfect. He even gold plated the screws on the bezel white gold so they look identical to GEN. I also bought an extra bezel and matched the rose gold plating on the watch.

Thank you guys for such a great build.

flying-tommy

this answers all my questions. Great job by

Markaplan

Gold Patron
Certified
9/10/20
flying-tommy

this answers all my questions. Great job by

Go for one trust me you will not regret it. I am getting compliments from everyone around me especially my friends with GEN AP watches. I wear the watch with confidence and no one doubts for a second that it’s a rep. [mention]flying-tommy [/mention] is also a very nice person to work with, he’s always there for any questions I have or support even after the sale. I referred a friend to him and he already paid for a watch. Here is a another picture with the sexy lume on the GEN dial.
a8816f9756883528944d30e920a54514.jpg

MFK100

Watchaholic !
Gold Patron
Certified
16/11/20
Go for one trust me you will not regret it. I am getting compliments from everyone around me especially my friends with GEN AP watches. I wear the watch with confidence and no one doubts for a second that it’s a rep. [mention]flying-tommy [/mention] is also a very nice person to work with, he’s always there for any questions I have or support even after the sale. I referred a friend to him and he already paid for a watch. Here is a another picture with the sexy lume on the GEN dial.

Echo that my friend

[mention]flying-tommy [/mention] is a magician with APs

Razer126

10/6/20

The issue I’m running into is finding the first gen rubberclad to send to Tommy for plating. The second gen dial is just too dark grey for my personal liking and then you have the issue of the gold ring around the subdials not matching the case when finished. I’ve been checking the m2m section frequently.

Last edited:

Kmmas

7/4/15
beautiful

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I wear the watch with confidence and no one doubts for a second that it’s a rep

I agree with you that it is a nice looking watch, but will ask you not to be get carried away that nobody doubts its a rep.
I can tell instantly that it is not a gen. flying-tommy, domi, me or anyone in the hobby cannot turn a rep watch gen. Your thread is a feedback on tommy's plating work, and i agree with you that it is good. But no plating work or mods can turn a franken gen and I don't want anyone looking at building AP frankens to have the wrong conception that this is the case, especially when the hands are aftermarket and its something you cannot avoid looking at. If you upgrade the hands, and change the datewheel to the correct 2326/2840 look, it WILL look convincing on the wrist for me.

Please feel free to showcase your watch as much as you like on this thread, but to say that "nobody doubts its a rep" simply means that you have not met enough people, or people with the knowledge. Its a tad misleading. Enjoy your watch by all means sir, but please don't over-represent the watch as a very gen-like franken AP.. it isn't.
It is a nice watch and Tommy did a fantastic job on it. We can agree on these two points.

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
I can only second what legend said. This is a nicely done watch but calling it a perfect iteration of an Offshore, is just plainly wrong. It’s missing many gen parts for that.
Just because nobody in circle x, y or z doesn’t call it out doesn’t turn a watch gen or NWBIG. Especially for gold models. There will always be plating to begin with amongst other flaws that can easily be called out if one is in the know. Without handling the watch personally that is. A quick glance with good eyes is enough.

Reactions: legend

Markaplan

Gold Patron
Certified
9/10/20
I agree with you that it is a nice looking watch, but will ask you not to be get carried away that nobody doubts its a rep.
I can tell instantly that it is not a gen. flying-tommy, domi, me or anyone in the hobby cannot turn a rep watch gen. Your thread is a feedback on tommy's plating work, and i agree with you that it is good. But no plating work or mods can turn a franken gen and I don't want anyone looking at building AP frankens to have the wrong conception that this is the case, especially when the hands are aftermarket and its something you cannot avoid looking at. If you upgrade the hands, and change the datewheel to the correct 2326/2840 look, it WILL look convincing on the wrist for me.

Please feel free to showcase your watch as much as you like on this thread, but to say that "nobody doubts its a rep" simply means that you have not met enough people, or people with the knowledge. Its a tad misleading. Enjoy your watch by all means sir, but please don't over-represent the watch as a very gen-like franken AP.. it isn't.
It is a nice watch and Tommy did a fantastic job on it. We can agree on these two points.

My circle of friends have no idea about reps and cannot spot differences between GEN because they don’t know them even though some are GEN owners. Experienced guys in this forum can spot the flaws easily especially with a watch like mine that doesn’t have many GEN parts.
I am also fairly new to this hobby and am learning a lot from you guys. I appreciate this community and I am glad I am a part of it. Have a great day everyone.
[mention]QueTip [/mention]

Markaplan

Gold Patron
Certified
9/10/20
The issue I’m running into is finding the first gen rubberclad to send to Tommy for plating. The second gen dial is just too dark grey for my personal liking and then you have the issue of the gold ring around the subdials not matching the case when finished. I’ve been checking the m2m section frequently.

I hope you find one soon. Enjoy the journey it’s fun.