• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

A unique AP diver

CurioLeo

GPsy King
Gold Patron
Certified
22/8/18
Australia
This watch started life as one of the best OOTB reps available - JF v9.5 15703 with A2824. First mod was to install a Tissot 25j chronometer grade Powermatic movement. Then I sourced the best aftermarket bracelet I could find and sent it to the other side of the world to have it expertly refinished to gen specs for a 15400 - note that any diver with a bracelet is a fantasy model as the gen 15703 comes with a rubber strap only. At this point, it was basically a top notch rep but I wanted to push the quality as far as achievable.
So off it went to legend to work his magic with the installation of a gen inner bezel, a prof 2xAR cyclops, ceramic bezel with beautiful vertical brushing and any other clean up/refinish to match gen specs. It is obviously no longer a standard diver but a fantasy - something of a cross between a titanium chronograph and a Doha boutique edition but in a diver configuration. There is possibly one final touch to come ! Enjoy and watch this space . Any and all comments welcome.
Zr1FVK.jpg

Zr1Sav.jpg

Zr10p1.jpg

Zr1JA4.jpg

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
This is a beauty in person, C. That first picture somehow reminds me of a variant of the ROO Ghost, but having black dial and black ceramic bezel instead of grey ones.
Thank you also for being a joy to work with, I am looking forward to working on the next project with you.

Reactions: Allure and Lariram

CurioLeo

GPsy King
Gold Patron
Certified
22/8/18
Australia
This is a beauty in person, C. That first picture somehow reminds me of a variant of the ROO Ghost, but having black dial and black ceramic bezel instead of grey ones.
Thank you also for being a joy to work with, I am looking forward to working on the next project with you.

Much of its beauty is thanks to you my friend ! Let's face it, your brief to "make it as gen feeling as possible" wasn't exactly easy - especially when the gen is a 20k watch from one of the Holy Trinity known for exquisite finishing. Your craftsmanship, knowledge of the brand and attention to detail are second to none. The ghost is what I was thinking of when I wrote titanium chronograph :D

Reactions: Lariram

philwongnz

I'm Pretty Popular
27/1/14
Is an interesting project! May I ask why the bezel screws are not slightly sunken? I thought that's a mod which a lot of people tends to do as is quite easily done and is affordable.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Is an interesting project! May I ask why the bezel screws are not slightly sunken? I thought that's a mod which a lot of people tends to do as is quite easily done and is affordable.

It is a fallacy that all APs have sunken screws. Majority of the modern ROOs, divers and Royal Oaks have bezel screws which are flush with the bezel.
The sunken screw mod is based on the fallacy that all AP bezel screws are sunken. Also, a lot of the sunken screw mods are overdone visually.

CurioLeo

GPsy King
Gold Patron
Certified
22/8/18
Australia

When you think about it , it is far more difficult to make fully threaded screws perfectly flush rather than slightly raised or sunken as this requires much more finesse working with nil tolerances. AP's reputation is founded on workmanship - Which way are they likely to go to prove their workmanship?

Last edited:
Reactions: legend

Tobel

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/7/17
Gorgeous! I wish AP were more creative in their 42mm portfolio, and yours nicely illustrates that. IMO there's much more diversity and combination of colours with the 44mm, but that's not my preference in terms of size.

CurioLeo

GPsy King
Gold Patron
Certified
22/8/18
Australia
Gorgeous! I wish AP were more creative in their 42mm portfolio, and yours nicely illustrates that. IMO there's much more diversity and combination of colours with the 44mm, but that's not my preference in terms of size.

Thank you, I totally agree. The design language of matching bezel colour to the dial (except for the lonf discontinued and extremely limited boutique scuba editions) and bezel to the case is unnnecessarily limiting for the diver. As for the alternative of ridiculously garish and outlandishly wild colours (supposedly fun) on the diver.......don't get me started. Aqua, yellow or purple diver watch for 20k ????

Dragonfly35

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
29/4/20
Sunny country
This is a really nice fantasy watch. Congrats to you and to the modder.
The only thing that I'm doubtful about is the different color Lume in dial, hands and inner bezel. How does it appear in real life?

CurioLeo

GPsy King
Gold Patron
Certified
22/8/18
Australia
The only thing that I'm doubtful about is the different color Lume in dial, hands and inner bezel. How does it appear in real life?

All crisp white, no hint of mint green unless charged. Different colour lume is really an overrated forum issue IMHO

CurioLeo

GPsy King
Gold Patron
Certified
22/8/18
Australia
BTW, for everyone wondering why build a fantasy watch, just about the best brand to customise is AP as it is regularly done in real life by many people with plenty of cash to burn and not worried about voiding warranties

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
BTW, for everyone wondering why build a fantasy watch, just about the best brand to customise is AP as it is regularly done in real life by many people with plenty of cash to burn and not worried about voiding warranties

I think the best reason for anyone to build any watch is because he likes it.
Personally the most customized watch I’ve seen in the gen world is the Rolex daytona. Plenty of customized dials and bezels.
Your AP is one of a kind and as long as you like it there is no need to justify the reason to anyone. I’ve only seen one gen customized diver in real life where it’s a 15703 customized with a black ceramic bezel and black pvd plots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Allure and QueTip

Swiss_goupil

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
7/12/19
Last Kingdom
Beautiful! I admire the OP vision and the choice of colour and material. It is a proper beauty. Well done!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Lariram

SHB

Mythical Poster
31/10/18
Earth
Really nice build, fantasy or not I do love the bezel combination with the inner bezel.

With a black rubber strap I'm pretty sure she will be sexxxxy as well.

CurioLeo

GPsy King
Gold Patron
Certified
22/8/18
Australia
Really nice build, fantasy or not I do love the bezel combination with the inner bezel.

With a black rubber strap I'm pretty sure she will be sexxxxy as well.

Waiting for plots to arrive before I install a gen rubber strap. The bracelet is as gen feeling as you can get but let's just say it isn't exactly light!!!

Reactions: SHB

CurioLeo

GPsy King
Gold Patron
Certified
22/8/18
Australia

I see what you mean now :D in real life you don't see different lime colours but in the photos they all look different. Don't know why that is..... ???

CurioLeo

GPsy King
Gold Patron
Certified
22/8/18
Australia
I think the best reason for anyone to build any watch is because he likes it.
Personally the most customized watch I’ve seen in the gen world is the Rolex daytona. Plenty of customized dials and bezels.
Your AP is one of a kind and as long as you like it there is no need to justify the reason to anyone. I’ve only seen one gen customized diver in real life where it’s a 15703 customized with a black ceramic bezel and black pvd plots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are right A, I have only ever seen one other 15703 in the wild in Australia and it was stock standard. I have seen quite a few more ROO chronos and several of them were modded ( almost always blinged up, mostly iced).

SHB

Mythical Poster
31/10/18
Earth
Waiting for plots to arrive before I install a gen rubber strap. The bracelet is as gen feeling as you can get but let's just say it isn't exactly light!!!

I do have a SS JF diver on bracelet, I never wear a single time the diver due to the bracelet weight lol