• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

XF New AP Royal Oak 15202 Releasing Soon!

Pdatoon

Renowned Member
2/2/19

Here are some more pictures after the relume.
I am very satisfied with the color. Looks a lot better than before. However, I can’t really recommend the watchmaker who did it. Case has a ding, bottom has scratches, markers have residue on them and worst, my rotor had black dirt on it. Removed it myself. Which leads me to my next post.

Sounds like a lot of problems... I would be pissed

Akilles

Lord Commander
Certified
11/6/17
The North
I once got my rehaut on my submariner centred by a modder. He did it perfect however he left a big smudge on the dial and scratched the case so it's always a risk when sending away I've learned...

stanleebobyolo

Known Member
2/10/19

Datewheel gets stuck.
Has anyone else had the problem that the date change doesn’t work smoothly on some days? The wheel gets stuck on a couple of days. Any ideas besides a service? Thank you in advance.

That's interesting. I got one of the first v2s and I have not had that issue. My first guess would be the movement was not robust enough to handle whatever it went through with the reluming. That sucks

maison888

I'm Pretty Popular
7/8/14
I am not a good photographer and only use an iPhone 5S but I hope this will help

You beat me to it! That looks great despite the smaller case, I thought the rubber b would only look good on a 41. I couldn't stand the gap between first link and the case, and overall the quality of the bracelet on the v2 is just terrible.

50211427633_6b22f74813_o.jpg
[/url]

Reactions: Firecomet

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18
I couldn't stand the gap between first link and the case, and overall the quality of the bracelet on the v2 is just terrible.

+1. Can't stand the XF bracelet quality, too many issues - Gap on first link and extremely tight (and sometimes broken) pins on the screwable links. Feels flimsy in hand as well. However the polish in the XF bracelet is pretty good (compared to rep standards). The ZF bracelet on the 15500 feels much better build quality (if you ignore the edge sharpness), lets hope their forthcoming 15202 release is of the same quality.

maison888

I'm Pretty Popular
7/8/14

I do have to say that despite how rattly and flimsy the bracelet is on the v2 I quite like the feel since it hugs my wrist better :mellow:. Dial, print, and lume...I can live with but boy those plots and the gap just ruined the watch for me.

50174102013_19e40a0bd9_o.jpg

Last edited:

Ultra929

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
26/9/12
I do have to say that despite how rattly and flimsy the bracelet is on the v2 I quite like the feel since it hugs my wrist better :mellow:. Dial, print, and lume...I can live with but boy those plots and the gap just ruined the watch for me.

Some mods I’m discussing with
Cosmograph4Ever is a total refinish of the bracelet. It is sharp and uneven so he will refine. And for the gap issue, he is sourcing some stainless tubes to tighten the gap.

Reactions: Pdatoon

Glock3ns

10/2/20
New york
Is this bracelet gap a common issue? I'm in the process of ordering one. Some pictures I see no gap but then the past few the gap is extremely visible

Sonofalich

James
Patron
Certified
10/6/19
United Kingdom
Is this bracelet gap a common issue? I'm in the process of ordering one. Some pictures I see no gap but then the past few the gap is extremely visible

These people are quite dramatic. The gap looks worse in photos than it does in real life. The gens also have the exact same gap... okay this might be 0.5 - 1 mm bigger, but it isn't noticeable on wrist. Anyone that tells you so is just obsessing because they're insecure about reps and are scared they're going to get called out. Irony is, that these are ~40k watches... chances of you EVER seeing one in real life is VERY VERY slim.

Really it's a great rep, don't worry about it. The lume mismatch / yellow lume is the biggest annoyance... I was lucky, mine came great. Some aren't so lucky, that's the only thing you need to watch out for.

Last edited:

Glock3ns

10/2/20
New york
These people are quite dramatic. The gap looks worse in photos than it does in real life. The gens also have the exact same gap... okay this might be 0.5 - 1 mm bigger, but it isn't noticeable on wrist. Anyone that tells you so is just obsessing because they're insecure about reps and are scared they're going to get called out. Irony is, that these are ~40k watches... chances of you EVER seeing one in real life is VERY VERY slim.

Really it's a great rep, don't worry about it. The lume mismatch / yellow lume is the biggest annoyance... I was lucky, mine came great. Some aren't so lucky, that's the only thing you need to watch out for.

Thanks, I'm waiting for qc photos right now.

I feel like most people in general barely even know watches to begin with. I definitely don't have any intentions to pretend I own a 40-50k watch. I even told my friend I'm buying this rep just cause I like how it looks

Reactions: Sonofalich

Sonofalich

James
Patron
Certified
10/6/19
United Kingdom

I feel like most people in general barely even know watches to begin with. I definitely don't have any intentions to pretend I own a 40-50k watch. I even told my friend I'm buying this rep just cause I like how it looks

The rise of cheap fashion watches... and quartz as a whole. Brought watches to EVERYONE. Once upon a time watches were special, now it's rare not to see someone wearing one. However, that trend is now increasing the other way in terms of smart watches... they are the future (like it or not) and will one day replace the swiss watches we covet now. In all likelihood the swiss brands will get it on the smart watches via a partnership with Samsung/Fitbit/Pebble etc...

Anyway I digress. The point is you're absolutely right, no-one gives a hoot what you're wearing on your wrist. The only people that do is yourself... occasionally someone in the know might say "nice watch". Beyond this... no.

Even then people are often just being polite.

We think we're a large bunch because we're on forum and we're isolated from the real world (more so now, COVID) and we live in a bubble where everyone is obsessed with watches. Truth is most people don't care. Cheap shiny flashy watches are everywhere...

The AP brand name just isn't that strong. Ask people (normal humans, not WIS) what the best watch between a Rolex and an AP is and I'd bet money on it that they pick the Rolex 9 times out of 10.

I work in an industry where money is a daily talking point, and wealth is something I deal with daily. The amount of very very wealthy people wearing Timex.. Casio is quite funny. I've mentioned previously on many of these threads that sometimes they wear Pateks... sometimes an AP, but mainly Rolex. They mainly buy Rolex because of low maintenance and believed durability. The haute horology sector is full of very delicate timepieces... not always that appealing.

One of the biggest letdowns for me in the Haute sector is Vacheron...2 year warranty... and 2 year servicing intervals. Plus minimum of £1k servicing costs (on 3 hand + date) is rather disgusting at this point in time.

Anyway... I digress yet again. Personally... I wouldn't even tell anyone it was a rep. How much it was worth or anything. Because 95% of people will never never know the difference between the 15202 strapped to your wrist and a Seiko. The 5% that do, they won't know its a rep or even its "true" value... we're talking the absolute minutia of the population that know.

Enjoy your watch, it will be great.

Ultra929

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
26/9/12
Great points guys. We all love watches.

I can’t explain it! But one thing I will tell you is modding and building is fun to do and very satisfying. It’s like building a home or vintage Porsche or whatever. It’s a great hobby and to turn a $500 watch into a 99% accurate to gen watch is enjoyable.

Reactions: Allure

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
The rise of cheap fashion watches... and quartz as a whole. Brought watches to EVERYONE. Once upon a time watches were special, now it's rare not to see someone wearing one. However, that trend is now increasing the other way in terms of smart watches... they are the future (like it or not) and will one day replace the swiss watches we covet now. In all likelihood the swiss brands will get it on the smart watches via a partnership with Samsung/Fitbit/Pebble etc...

Anyway I digress. The point is you're absolutely right, no-one gives a hoot what you're wearing on your wrist. The only people that do is yourself... occasionally someone in the know might say "nice watch". Beyond this... no.

Even then people are often just being polite.

We think we're a large bunch because we're on forum and we're isolated from the real world (more so now, COVID) and we live in a bubble where everyone is obsessed with watches. Truth is most people don't care. Cheap shiny flashy watches are everywhere...

The AP brand name just isn't that strong. Ask people (normal humans, not WIS) what the best watch between a Rolex and an AP is and I'd bet money on it that they pick the Rolex 9 times out of 10.

I work in an industry where money is a daily talking point, and wealth is something I deal with daily. The amount of very very wealthy people wearing Timex.. Casio is quite funny. I've mentioned previously on many of these threads that sometimes they wear Pateks... sometimes an AP, but mainly Rolex. They mainly buy Rolex because of low maintenance and believed durability. The haute horology sector is full of very delicate timepieces... not always that appealing.

One of the biggest letdowns for me in the Haute sector is Vacheron...2 year warranty... and 2 year servicing intervals. Plus minimum of £1k servicing costs (on 3 hand + date) is rather disgusting at this point in time.

Anyway... I digress yet again. Personally... I wouldn't even tell anyone it was a rep. How much it was worth or anything. Because 95% of people will never never know the difference between the 15202 strapped to your wrist and a Seiko. The 5% that do, they won't know its a rep or even its "true" value... we're talking the absolute minutia of the population that know.

Enjoy your watch, it will be great.

J, I agree largely with your viewpoint.

Not every one who is wealthy will wear a luxury watch, and from my own knowledge, not everyone who wears a luxury watch is wealthy. There are just many many combinations of factors which make up a person's watch ownership story. An ownership can be from inheritance, long time savings, windfall, earnings, loans, or virtually any other income means, legit, honorable or otherwise. From social media and forums, what we see is a pic of the watch, but never the story behind it. I do enjoy the pics of watches others post at face value, and you are correct, I do not really care beyond that haha. It can be a $100k watch or a novelty $100 one. If it looks good to me, then I like it.
I enjoy your discourse, mainly because many valid points were raised. Thank you.

MidRare.

You're Saying I Can Sell?
MULTI ACCOUNT
7/8/20
I think the fine art of appreciating timepieces and its craftsmanship involved have evolved throughout the years and is heading in a direction where i dislike it. Timepieces are now seen as "hype" or "baller" where people tend to "take you seriously" when they see blings or a heavy hitter on your wrist. To me, i do personally take a good 15 minutes to admire and look at every detail and finishing on whatever watches i have, be it an entry level rolex, an omega speedmaster, a g-shock or a high end collectable piece. Timepieces to me, is a form of luxury paired intricate engineering and designing all being put together for hobbyist and enthusiast to enjoy and appreciate.

Whereas in the world we live in now, majority of the people are just getting into the game as many call it, to "flex" and gain social validation from their surroundings and peers.

Like what Sonofalich mentioned, "I wouldn't even tell anyone it was a rep or how much it was worth", and "enjoy your watch, it will be great" really reiterates the point of such timepieces.

Buy what you like and appreciate how it makes you feel on your wrist, replica or gen.

Have a good day guys.

Reactions: Akilles and legend

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Buy what you like and appreciate how it makes you feel on your wrist, replica or gen.

Have a good day guys.

Yes, sums it up perfectly. Been waiting for others to post something like this besides Sonofalich :qtip2:
Guys here post a variety of watches, gens, reps, frankens (which are more expensive reps) and many take excessive pride in their high-end builds, which are just watches. Enter something posting a gen, which is just another watch. And yet another perhaps with a half-a-million quid watch (yet another watch). I do not regard pics anyone post as "flexes" but rather the owner sharing his pride and joy. Someone posting a canal st rep does not make one richer, and likewise, someone posting a diamond crusted gen RM will not diminish one's worth or possession. They should all be enjoyed without prejudice or envy. Afterall we all enjoy the hobby at different levels, and you have said that you admire the engineering and craftsmanship of your collection, which I understand. Maybe the guy buying the ZF or XF AP buys it because he enjoys how he looks, and yet another buys it as a base to build something better. All good reasons.

This is a convening of enthusiasts who congregate to share knowledge, passion and information. Like what you imply, what we choose to wear and own is purely our business. At different levels, we see what we see, and you get owners who take offence when the knowledge about shortfalls and improvements is shared, guys who do not care, and those who take the advice and elevate their games to build something better.

I enjoy the balance in the game, where its not always about how the new x factory release sucks or falls short,, or how one guy's watch is so much better than another spec wise. Balance and fresh perspectives are much needed and very welcome IMHO. The fact is that with the recent releases, any one of the watches can be worn and visually appreciated in real life for what they are: nice looking watches on the wrist. The enjoyment should be implicit and personal rather than captioned subjectively (for example, a rep AP FC GP being 98% gen when its not) if one wishes to avoid challenge and disagreements. Whether anyone agrees with the owner or otherwise, the watch is always what it is, and nothing should stop anyone from enjoying his watch. Labels and superlatives (e.g. super duper uber franken) are often subjective and personal, and should be avoided. Post a pic of your watch, and let everyone appreciate it for what it is. One cannot disagree with a pure picture, but each can surely find something to enjoy about it :hehehe:

Akilles

Lord Commander
Certified
11/6/17
The North

Aren't they still out of stock?