• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZF AP 15500

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18
Thanks legend, but it was not the real deal. It was a mock-up or something like that which they show to clients. For me the 21K CHF is a bit steep at this moment so did not even tried to go for it. And she also has said (the sales person- Nadya) that I need to develop a relationship with the boutique closest to me and make an order there and be on one waiting list around the world. And the wait times are about 3-4 years so yes. ???? I’m thinking of going to Prague and if there is no deposit put myself in the list as a target to achieve and get one or just flip in 3-4 years.

They might have kept the ZF 15500 for showing to clients :hehehe:

Aplex

11/11/18
Is ZF 15500 back in production again? After the raids..
Or do the TD’s sell old stock?

matadore

Horology Curious
28/4/20
They might have kept the ZF 15500 for showing to clients :hehehe:

Haha, imagine that I get the same one as I wore in Geneva. I will be over the moon, rep or gen. :D

Aplex, I've written to Puretime about your question, so I'll let you know once I got an answer.

A question to the more experienced people in the forum, I am asking again as no one has answered:
Do you think if V3 of the ZF 15500 is with the A2121 as in the 15202, it would be better to wait for it than to get the MIYOTA movement in V2, in terms of quality and reliability? (I know I'm getting into it too much but yes, it'll suck if I order V2 and V3 is around the corner for some reason :D)

Thank you all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aplex

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18
Haha, imagine that I get the same one as I wore in Geneva. I will be over the moon, rep or gen. :D

Aplex, I've written to Puretime about your question, so I'll let you know once I got an answer.

A question to the more experienced people in the forum, I am asking again as no one has answered:
Do you think if V3 of the ZF 15500 is with the A2121 as in the 15202, it would be better to wait for it than to get the MIYOTA movement in V2, in terms of quality and reliability? (I know I'm getting into it too much but yes, it'll suck if I order V2 and V3 is around the corner for some reason :D)

Thank you all.

The A2121 is not the right movement for 15500. The Miyota is better suited. If you silence the rotor, it is quite reliable. The ZF is a very well made rep, I don't see reason to wait. It may get some incremental improvement but nothing significant. Beside ZF can go under water anytime with how the raids are going.

On a different note - the AP 2121 is an "old" movement and needs an update to a more modern mechanics

Reactions: matadore

matadore

Horology Curious
28/4/20
The A2121 is not the right movement for 15500. The Miyota is better suited. If you silence the rotor, it is quite reliable. The ZF is a very well made rep, I don't see reason to wait. It may get some incremental improvement but nothing significant. Beside ZF can go under water anytime with how the raids are going.

On a different note - the AP 2121 is an "old" movement and needs an update to a more modern mechanics

I appreciate the push and the help, srhoque , but...

JK, I have contacted PT already, so let's see if all goes to plan :) Cheers

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.

Thank you all.

A couple of things:
1. For replica AP 15500, 15400 and 15202, they all use the miyota 9015 movements, decorated differently in all of them, and for the 15202, a modified to have the date mechanism function like gen.

2. Don’t bother waiting if you’re holding out for a better movement. This is going to be as good as it gets as long as they use the miyota based movement. V2 to V999 will all be flawed so just buy a version you like. As long as it’s not gen it won’t matter which version it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Allure and matadore

MilkMan80

Horology Curious
21/4/21
1st post.

Love this watch, absolutely amazing.

legend is helping me get some gen parts and from what I can tell from everything I read, you are amazing for helping out all the rep noobies.

I read somewhere in one of the posts someone stating they did a midcase brush and bracelet brush to make it gen-like.

Do I just bring it to a watch repair shop and ask for that and show them a picture of a gen and to copy this?

Thanks. I'm new so not sure what to do. Lots of learning still.

matadore

Horology Curious
28/4/20
A couple of things:
1. For replica AP 15500, 15400 and 15202, they all use the miyota 9015 movements, decorated differently in all of them, and for the 15202, a modified to have the date mechanism function like gen.

2. Don’t bother waiting if you’re holding out for a better movement. This is going to be as good as it gets as long as they use the miyota based movement. V2 to V999 will all be flawed so just buy a version you like. As long as it’s not gen it won’t matter which version it is.

Thanks for the help and the reminders that I should just enjoy it as it is, legend. And you're 100% right regarding your post in the ZF 15202 section. Thanks once again to everyone!

Addy

You're Saying I Can Sell?
4/11/20
If I make the strap on my watch long, the watch dangles a little on my wrist. If I remove one link, they put pressure on my hand after a while.
Can you somehow do something in between these options for the length of the AP watch strap?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
If I make the strap on my watch long, the watch dangles a little on my wrist. If I remove one link, they put pressure on my hand after a while.
Can you somehow do something in between these options for the length of the AP watch strap?

Get the gen 1.5 link.

Last edited:
Reactions: Allure

Sonofalich

James
Patron
Certified
10/6/19
United Kingdom
Sorry, I don't quite understand what this is about. What is link 1.5? Where is she located?

It's very expensive and not a practical solution. This is a problem with AP reps, you have to wear them slightly too tight or too loose for you. There is no micro adjustment on the rep, nor the gen, which if you ask me is quite poor from AP in general but hey-ho.

So you have a choice, wear the watch too loose or sell the watch. I found for me, I wear mine slightly looser than I'd like but I've gotten use to it, plus I just move it up maybe a few cm up my wrist where my wrist is thicker.

Reactions: Lariram

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Where is she located?
Link City
caption.jpg

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
It's very expensive and not a practical solution. This is a problem with AP reps, you have to wear them slightly too tight or too loose for you. There is no micro adjustment on the rep, nor the gen, which if you ask me is quite poor from AP in general but hey-ho.

So you have a choice, wear the watch too loose or sell the watch. I found for me, I wear mine slightly looser than I'd like but I've gotten use to it, plus I just move it up maybe a few cm up my wrist where my wrist is thicker.

I agree that it’s expensive but it is a practical solution for the 1/2 size people. To put it bluntly, there is simply no other choice unless like what you say, one chooses to wear the watch slightly too loose or slightly too tight.
Or on a different spot on the wrist.

It is also true that this is a ridiculous issue for a luxury watch brand, who took decades literally to switch to a quick change strap system lol, and maybe another few decades for it to adopt a micro adjustment bracelet design. :legend:

Oline8992

31/3/21
The dial refinish mod isn’t “necessary” per se but it seeks to enhance the appearance of the dial with reference to gen and it can benefit all dial colors. The silver dial is not better or worse than the other colors where dial finishing goes and can benefit from the same mod. The mod seeks to address 3 areas for improvement

- to improve the finish of the dial visually, from a plasticky gloss surface to a luxurious semi matte surface.

- to retain the sunburst effect of the dial while performing the above mod

- to improve the luxury factor of the dial visually. This applies to the black, silver and blue dial. For the grey the color is also rather off but can be improved with a separate dial paint mod.

The only version from ZF that has a dial that looks "Metallic" in its shine as it should is the 15400 White edition i think. Why did they make the white dial correct but not the other models? :p

ZJpHTW.webp

Last edited:

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
The only version from ZF that has a dial that looks "Metallic" in its shine as it should is the 15400 White edition i think. Why did they make the white dial correct but not the other models? :p

I do own the silver 15500 and I can tell you that the rep dial does not look the same. None of the 4 colors look correct VS gen. Let’s not try to suggest otherwise, either to ourselves or others. So to answer your question, they didn’t make the white dial “correct” as well. All of the colors are flawed VS their respective counterparts.

But then again these are reps and should be enjoyed as reps. Forget about them being gen-like and just wear them as fun reps and not Audemars Piguet watches.

Oline8992

31/3/21
I do own the silver 15500 and I can tell you that the rep dial does not look the same. None of the 4 colors look correct VS gen. Let’s not try to suggest otherwise, either to ourselves or others. So to answer your question, they didn’t make the white dial “correct” as well. All of the colors are flawed VS their respective counterparts.

But then again these are reps and should be enjoyed as reps. Forget about them being gen-like and just wear them as fun reps and not Audemars Piguet watches.

No i said 15400 not 15500. The 15400 White dial looks more correct than the 15500 for some reason..

Last edited:

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
No i said 15400 not 15500. The 15400 White dial looks more correct than the 15500 for some reason..

“More” or “less” correct is subjective. But I still maintain that gen is gen and rep is rep and if what you’re suggesting is that the silver 15400 dial is harder to call out, I do understand if you’re seeing it that way.

The silver gen 15400 dial comes in at least 3 variants that I’ve seen and the gen 15500 dial comes only in 1 (that I’ve seen) and yes comparing the two, the rep 15400 dial is more accurate than the rep 15500 dial. This I agree with. I’m unable to answer why this is so though. It could be the different tapisserie patterns between the two rep models.

Oline8992

31/3/21
“More” or “less” correct is subjective. But I still maintain that gen is gen and rep is rep and if what you’re suggesting is that the silver 15400 dial is harder to call out, I do understand if you’re seeing it that way.

The silver gen 15400 dial comes in at least 3 variants that I’ve seen and the gen 15500 dial comes only in 1 (that I’ve seen) and yes comparing the two, the rep 15400 dial is more accurate than the rep 15500 dial. This I agree with. I’m unable to answer why this is so though. It could be the different tapisserie patterns between the two rep models.

Yes I agree with you that there is none that can match the gen but I think the white dial on the 15400 looks quite close. I wish ZF would use this "Updated" dial on all their 15400 and 15500 models.
The White 15400 was added on Trusty's site March 30 2020 and the rest was added around November 25 2019. So my guess is that they updated the White version only. Then 15500 came around June 14th 2020, but they used the "old" Dial again.. Probably cause they already started working on the 15500 before this new updated dial was released..

Last edited:

Addy

4/11/20
I agree that it’s expensive but it is a practical solution for the 1/2 size people. To put it bluntly, there is simply no other choice unless like what you say, one chooses to wear the watch slightly too loose or slightly too tight.
Or on a different spot on the wrist.

It is also true that this is a ridiculous issue for a luxury watch brand, who took decades literally to switch to a quick change strap system lol, and maybe another few decades for it to adopt a micro adjustment bracelet design. :legend:

What is this solution? Should I buy a new link for my watch bracelet? Where can I get it?