• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Jf ap 15400 v5

rayz20

Renowned Member
29/6/17
The New V5 that i own now is thinner than the old V5 that I had.

You can definitely see that.
Maybe I can share some old pics and compare with the new one.

You can clearly see it got thinner there’s no doubt about that.

Does it have gen dimensions ? No.

Is it thinner than the old V5 with the bad Swiss made print ? Yes.

SHB

Mythical Poster
31/10/18
Earth
Not my picture but another member who got their 15400 thinned with legend.

DC98-D14-C-C2-C2-4-B8-A-BE88-95-ACC2-E6-B355.jpg

vs.
a297b73d9893357df10386916dde3cb1.jpg

This is THIN lol

SHB

Mythical Poster
31/10/18
Earth
The New V5 that i own now is thinner than the old V5 that I had.

You can definitely see that.
Maybe I can share some old pics and compare with the new one.

You can clearly see it got thinner there’s no doubt about that.

Does it have gen dimensions ? No.

Is it thinner than the old V5 with the bad Swiss made print ? Yes.

So anyone with the V5j should have a thinner watch, owners of the v5j please turn on your caliper :)

rayz20

Renowned Member
29/6/17
458a8099e7e8b7cf17527b3b0980021b.jpg

Here’s my V5.1 vs mech500 gen.

Is 10.2mm vs 9.8mm that big of a deal?

On the wrist 10.2mm vs 9.8mm is comparable to gen (if the bracelet is correctly adjusted)

The bigger deal is the rep dial. The gen dial is something else.

Because gen dial is on another planet.
And rep hands are crap

N0tail_

1/6/17
Unless you have accurate measurements of your V5, pictures aren't going to cut it. Especially judging thickness based on wrist pictures lol.

Also, your V5 isn't 10.2mm but if it was you would definitely notice the difference.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Here’s my V5.1 vs mech500 gen.

Is 10.2mm vs 9.8mm that big of a deal?

On the wrist 10.2mm vs 9.8mm is comparable to gen (if the bracelet is correctly adjusted)

The bigger deal is the rep dial. The gen dial is something else.

Because gen dial is on another planet.
And rep hands are crap

I do agree with you, the dial has tells and the hands are nonsense. So is the movement actually but then again this is a $400 rep.

To answer your mostly rhetorical questions on the thickness difference:
- It is subjective, some mind it, some don't. Some see it, some don't.
- If you are trying to prove that your watch is close to gen thickness, even on the wrist, no need to go further. I am also a gen 15400 owner and being a modder, I get to try on all the rep 15400s I could ever want lol. Objectively, the difference in thickness is NOT night and day for me between the V5 or whatever and the gen, but it is definitely discernible. Don't need pictures for that when you can see it in the flesh with your own eyes. ;)
- The thickness of your watch does not look to be 10.2mm, and even if it is, there is still a marked difference between it and a thinned down 15400, or the gen. A quick measurement however will confirm it. I have a rep v5 with me now belonging to a member here, and I will take a measurement. It is from the latest batch.
- I do agree that the latest batches of the 15400 seem to be a little thinner, but by no means gen spec and still can be thinned to about 9.9mm.

Reactions: Allure and Rolemars

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
This is the latest batch of 15400 JF V5, ordered 1 weeks ago and received yesterday.
Please see the measurement, it is in excess of 10.5mm. So yes, it is thinner than the older batches but it isn’t 10.2mm.
Either way, yes the watch can be thinned further but it needs less thinning now compared with before.
4af442273dc0b93f2be612d6bb79605c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Allure and N0tail_

rayz20

Renowned Member
29/6/17
Completely agree with you legend.

My point was just that it got thinner.

And that’s actually good news for all of us.

And to get it even more gen like you can ofc get it thinned even more to reach gen spec.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Completely agree with you legend.

My point was just that it got thinner.

And that’s actually good news for all of us.

And to get it even more gen like you can ofc get it thinned even more to reach gen spec.

Besides the thickness, there are of course many other flaws which prevent this from becoming a super rep, like you rightfully pointed out.
Even if it is gen spec thin, it is still a watch which has too many flaws to be anything but a nice novelty watch to be worn for someone's amusement/pleasure.

Reactions: Allure and Rolemars

michael5

Horology Curious
20/6/18
In your opinion when do you think JF could get out of v6 version? probably improving on the thickness...

SHB

Mythical Poster
31/10/18
Earth
In your opinion when do you think JF could get out of v6 version? probably improving on the thickness...

None know if jf will improve the thickness, there's 5 version and they didn't improved it much, time will tell.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.

IMHO it does not make commercial sense for JF to release a v6 purely based on thickness, if the v5 is already selling well, complaints and all. A new maker can come along and start a new and thinner version of the 15400 from scratch I think. Until the v5 factory stock of casebacks is exhausted, we will not see a thinner 15400 from JF anytime soon I think.

Reactions: Allure

BIONONE

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/4/17
A new maker can come along and start a new and thinner version of the 15400 from scratch I think.

ZF will beat JF with their thin decoration. may it be the 15500 or the 15400 - ZF will be superior movement/thickness wise.

Otherwise you are completely right like always ;)

Reactions: wewillrock123

Nivka

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/4/15
Australia
IMHO it does not make commercial sense for JF to release a v6 purely based on thickness, if the v5 is already selling well, complaints and all. A new maker can come along and start a new and thinner version of the 15400 from scratch I think. Until the v5 factory stock of casebacks is exhausted, we will not see a thinner 15400 from JF anytime soon I think.

I agree. It’s the same with noobs sub. It’s been a cash cow for them for years. Why change anything now? If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. They’re interested In profit and didn’t care about us hobbyists

KSwatches

Trusted Dealer
29/11/18
We’ve handled a lot of these, Regarding thickness, remember that the tolerance on gasket thickness, caseback assembly torque, mid-case and case back machining tolerance, can collectively result in +/- 0.25 mm (or whatever) compound component manufacturing and assembly tolerance.

Therefore it’s possible that some people report 10.5mm thickness and others report 10.25 -10.35mm. Even temperature has a small effect (say +/- 0.01mm), then there is caliper instrument accuracy (+0.01 mm or whatever). The gaskets the factory’s use and the amount of grease varies in thickness immensely.

Therefore it’s not surprising that people are reporting different thickness.

Overall qualitatively the new batches do seem thinner in the hands....we handle a lot. Haven’t measured one tho.

dominicvw

Looking Around
10/9/19
Hi Guys,

This is my first post, and I would like to thank everyone here for sharing all this information - it helped me a lot to gain knowledge to buy my first replica watch. I've just received the QC pics from purewatchtime and I wanted to get your opinion on the time accuracy test results. In my opinion it's quite a lot! (16.1 s/d) and from what i've read, it can get a lot worse over time.

https://imgur.com/a/xvGbcEM

What are your thoughts? reason to reject the watch?

SHB

Mythical Poster
31/10/18
Earth
Hi Guys,

This is my first post, and I would like to thank everyone here for sharing all this information - it helped me a lot to gain knowledge to buy my first replica watch. I've just received the QC pics from purewatchtime and I wanted to get your opinion on the time accuracy test results. In my opinion it's quite a lot! (16.1 s/d) and from what i've read, it can get a lot worse over time.

Welcome to rwi, for your question you can GL or RL, if it was for me i wouldn't trust thoses results since they run it only a few minutes on one angle.
Also maybe they didn't winded it fully so...
You just need to know that you're into the miyota specs.

Last edited:

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Hi Guys,

You need to be realistic and learn this:

- a timegrapher shot is but a snapshot of the movement performance in span of seconds.

- the grade of the timegrapher itself makes a difference. I doubt any TD uses a high quality timegrapher so take it with a pinch of salt.

- lastly, a miyota movement performance is from -10 to + 20 sec it I remember correctly. So technically it’s within specifications. Also the accuracy can often be affected by the shipment if the watch is jolted around.

Reactions: Allure

SHB

Mythical Poster
31/10/18
Earth
- lastly, a miyota movement performance is from -10 to + 20 sec it I remember correctly. So technically it’s within specifications. Also the accuracy can often be affected by the shipment if the watch is jolted around.

I can confirm that you didn't forget your lesson :D