• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Introducing Beasy's Franken 44mm Panda

MrBeasy

Put Some Respect On My Name
8/2/16
Hi Everyone,

Presenting my brand new 44mm Franken Panda in SS/Ceramic.

I think this is the second Franken of this 44mm model ever built but the first one with a Gen movement!

Specs:
Gen Dial
Gen hands
Gen Datewheel
Gen Cyclops
Gen AP 3126 chronograph movement (50 hour power reserve!)
JF base Panda
1xAR crystal

All started about October last year when I picked up the dial and base watch from QueTip. It was opportunistic and I was able to convince myself further when Q offered to coordinate everything with Domi for me.

We then got to talking and I decided to upgrade the hands and... movement! A source had access to a gen AP 3126 movement (which is correct for this openback model) and whilst it was not cheap I thought that I may as well given this is an open caseback version unlike some of the older 42mm Frankens with closed caseback where you can get away with an LWO movement.

Anyway - waiting patiently for the movement to get to the watchsmith before he starts on my franken. Waiting. Waiting. Waiting. Nothing. Ask the sender to start a trace and it comes up with... nothing! Package with my 3126 movement is gone... no trace of it. Just vanished in the logistics chain somewhere between the US and Germany.

I have never ever lost a package before and I couldn't believe the one package I actually really cared about was lost along with weeks and weeks of waiting :(.

To say I was in disbelief and frustrated at the same time would be a masterpiece of understatement.

Saving grace was... package was fully insured as it was a gen movement. Phew. And lucky for me I was able to source another Gen 3126 movement for about the same price.

Long story short - new movement arrives at watchsmith along with other parts (movement came with Gen Cyclops and datewheel) and after a few more weeks waiting it all comes together including flawless casework. I have a few Domi Frankens and this is the best, most solid feeling casework of them all IMO.

I love it. For those of you that don't know, this model is a combination of stainless steel, ceramic and rubber. The bezel is brushed ceramic on top and polished ceramic on the sides. The crown and pushers are also ceramic.

Rest of the case is steel and the rep rubber strap feels really close to gen.

The panda dial of course is classic and more versatile and dressy than say a GP dial which is very sporty. Dial markers and hands are white gold and shimmer in the light.

This is closest I'm going to get (and care to get) to gen of this for about 20% - 25% of gen price. This will now be my daily watch for a while :).

Thanks again to QueTip for kicking this off and coordinating with Domi. Also thanks to @Sachsha1 for his opinions and supply chain! And of course thanks to the great Domi for his work.

For those contemplating building a Franken I would encourage you to do lots of research - it is rewarding for sure but not for the faint of heart or the impatient.

Enjoy the pics!

(...and I hope whoever has my 1st AP movement knows its worth and does something great with it!)

P.s. if anyone has a lead on genuine AP Survivor hands please let me know. That needs to be my next Project!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Legion

MrBeasy

8/2/16
Build shots and casework
e57630a59cab102b3ae62e3bed02a811.jpg
9b6aca86e66341212bc00085257d30ea.jpg
7ddd3df786c6aab0506b1dd6fc515a21.jpg
fabbbdf93a3e063c230fd6e9edcd2d6b.jpg

MrBeasy

8/2/16
and finally... gen lume shots for the lume lovers
1e094413b95ec837125faa07adbe2d03.jpg

MrBeasy

8/2/16
@sacsha1

ZenWatch

GENSTEIN
Supporter
Patron
Certified
18/5/17
CONUS
Wow!!! Great build!!! Any pics on the open caseback? Show off the Gen movement!!

Reactions: MrBeasy

blackboxes

Advisor/Supporter
Advisor
31/5/15
Lovely piece MrBeasy wear it in certainly great health! It looks, and definitely feels gen too :) Good on QueTip to source such rare & bold stuff too!

Not for the faint hearted indeed :p

Reactions: MrBeasy and QueTip

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Wow. This has got to be the biggest and boldest build I have ever seen of any watch. It looks stunning in every way. Congratulations.

alvedon

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
30/12/14
Blown away! Amazing piece mate! Wear it in good health!

neeeechlas

I'm Pretty Popular
18/10/15
You’re one of a crazy franken! Damn awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garuda

I'm Pretty Popular
15/12/12
wow!! thanks for sharing those pictures. King Domi strikes again.

any assembled rear shots?

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
It’s been an absolute pleasure working on this with you brother. For the record, this is the first ever 44 Franken that has proper case mods.

The first thinner 44 since the midcase can not be really thinned because of the pushers. It was slightly worked and the caseback has been shaved to the fullest extent to achieve the thinnest possible result.

Also it is the first 44 Franken that has the crown relocated. Domi has really outdone himself on this one. It’s an absolute beauty.

Wear her in good health!!