• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Audemars Piguet (AP) Diver 15703 gen dial set: photo review

tosoboso

I'm Pretty Popular
5/2/15
Today, I'd like to share a brief photo review of a gen diver dial set (a holy grail for me). Hope you'll enjoy it.

1. Next to a Noob v3.5 (on the left)
IMG_2944_zps5xha6akx.jpg

2. A lume shot, again next to a Noob v3.5 (this time gen is on the left)
IMG_2670_zpsc3e8d6km.jpg

3. Dial close up
IMG_2923_zpshe2qfjyi.jpg

4. Rehaut comparison
IMG_2945_zpsbasa7w0b.jpg

5. Some rehaut measurements
IMG_2946_zpsscjikkxh.jpg

6. Noob rehaut measurements
IMG_2948_zps07pt0gon.jpg

Overall impressions:
- Biggest difference (putting aside the laboursome gen dial sanding) is the number of concentric lines(grooves), with gen having approx. 17-19 per tapisserie square and Noob only 10-11
- Still, Noob dial (at least the v3.5 batch) seems closer to gen than say JF v7 or even Noob v5.1, tapisserie squares are flatter and a tad shinier than later Noob versions or JF. Noob dial is made of solid metal just like the gen
- Gen lume has a shade of blue and is more discreet. Hour markers are a bit narrower than Noob (and JF)
- Both cyclops have a single AR, with Noob's just a bit more pronounced blue hue
- Rehaut lume is probably the biggest issue, with lume application very uneven (JF's rehauts, while probably a bit better, are not much more different in this regard)
- There's a slight difference in outer dimensions in the rehauts though not much

aflop

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/5/13
Would be also good to qualify which series this gen dial is from? I know AP is fond of making subtle changes to the dials without making any announcements :)

hub6152

I'm Pretty Popular
10/11/12
And the bulk of AP dials are made by a sub contractor anyway. Can't remember their name though

jpohl402

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/7/12
Congrats on the gen dial, bro. Thanks for taking the time to do this.

tosoboso

I'm Pretty Popular
5/2/15
Would be also good to qualify which series this gen dial is from? I know AP is fond of making subtle changes to the dials without making any announcements :)

In all honesty I have no idea. This is a brand new dial, came sealed, so it should be from their last series, just before they started doing the 15710.

And yes, even though the factories use subcontractors they can definitely improve the quality, it's a no brainer for me why they wouldn't bother, can't be that much more expensive

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
Tosoboso, thanka for the informative comparison & good luck with your project. I personally never upgraded from the Noob V3.5, but I would definitely Franken the Diver if I had the chance. I hope the different size of the gen rehaut and the different location of the gen dial feet does not create problems in your assembly. I also hope that the date wheel lines up perfectly if you are using an ETA movement.

tosoboso

I'm Pretty Popular
5/2/15
Wow! a gen rehaut?
how did you source this?

a few months patience and almost a $1k later and voila - a gen rehaut: still not sold on the need for a gen rehaut, but well, not going back now after all those efforts...

nlnlnlnene

I'm Pretty Popular
7/9/10
a few months patience and almost a $1k later and voila - a gen rehaut: still not sold on the need for a gen rehaut, but well, not going back now after all those efforts...

Well, rehaut is probably the only "tell" on the latest fakes, so I think it's a nice thing to have.

What kind of crystal are you putting on it?
From what I've seen, the gen crystals just seem like higher quality, regardless of what kind of AR you put on.

tosoboso

I'm Pretty Popular
5/2/15
Tosoboso, thanka for the informative comparison & good luck with your project. I personally never upgraded from the Noob V3.5, but I would definitely Franken the Diver if I had the chance. I hope the different size of the gen rehaut and the different location of the gen dial feet does not create problems in your assembly. I also hope that the date wheel lines up perfectly if you are using an ETA movement.

hey [MENTION=58374]slaughterer62[/MENTION], thanks for this. I realise that the diver is both hard to franken (because of parts availability) and not on the list of too many people anyways. As it happened I do have a 3120 on hand, so dial feet should be OK - I hope - biggest issue is whether to use gen rehaut, which will mean modding the bezel and, possibly, the crown mechanism or just go with the stock one. All in all, v3.5 seems superior to later Noob and JF versions because of hands construction and dial finish. But I guess there'd be a number of people arguing in favour of JF v7, etc. In any case, here's a link toward the franken set I posted a few weeks ago:
https://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/307753-AP-Diver-franken-project-help-needed

Cheers

tosoboso

I'm Pretty Popular
5/2/15
Well, rehaut is probably the only "tell" on the latest fakes, so I think it's a nice thing to have.

What kind of crystal are you putting on it?
From what I've seen, the gen crystals just seem like higher quality, regardless of what kind of AR you put on.

Yes, it's a great detail if only it did not require modding of the bezel: that involves widening the inner circumference and because the rehaut is held in place by a kind of plastic bearing-balls, I'm not sure whether the modder would be able to replicate the factory structure and sturdiness.

As to the crystal - not really sure, was looking for a gen bezel but have only seen chrono ROOs available, so may very well go with the stock JF crystal. As good as double AR crystals are, they are simply not a true reflection of the gen AR. So, decisions, desions. Good thing is I'm not in a hurry, so will be looking for more parts and see what becomes available in the next few months.

jonathanw

I'm Pretty Popular
6/9/15
Hello mate, great thread, thanks for taking the time to share!
I always thought the newer JFs like V7 and V8 were a better dial! I have been searching online comparing pictures and yes you are correct! the Noob 3.5 is the greater dial in terms of gen similarity to the AP 15703.

Do you know if the same dial is kept between the Gens 15703 and 15710?

Also, based on this, is the newer JF V7 that everyone is recommending actually better in any way over the Noob 3.5? i.e is the Noob 3.5 just better by having a better dial while being worse to the JF V7 in any other tells or flaws? Would it be then possible to buy the Noob 3.5 just for the dial and put into a JF V7?

thank you mate!

tosoboso

I'm Pretty Popular
5/2/15
Hello mate, great thread, thanks for taking the time to share!
I always thought the newer JFs like V7 and V8 were a better dial! I have been searching online comparing pictures and yes you are correct! the Noob 3.5 is the greater dial in terms of gen similarity to the AP 15703.

Do you know if the same dial is kept between the Gens 15703 and 15710?

Also, based on this, is the newer JF V7 that everyone is recommending actually better in any way over the Noob 3.5? i.e is the Noob 3.5 just better by having a better dial while being worse to the JF V7 in any other tells or flaws? Would it be then possible to buy the Noob 3.5 just for the dial and put into a JF V7?

thank you mate!

Hey buddy,

The Noob v3.5 dial should fit the JF v7. As to JF/Noob, it's hard to say - everyone has their own preferences, there've been many comparisons between various models of the two makers. Maybe, just maybe, JF have a better overall quality, although the Noob case dimensions & geometry are closer to the original. Not very helpful I'm afraid, good luck with your project.

jonathanw

I'm Pretty Popular
6/9/15
Hey buddy,

The Noob v3.5 dial should fit the JF v7. As to JF/Noob, it's hard to say - everyone has their own preferences, there've been many comparisons between various models of the two makers. Maybe, just maybe, JF have a better overall quality, although the Noob case dimensions & geometry are closer to the original. Not very helpful I'm afraid, good luck with your project.

Thank you for your reply, I personally have browsed for genuine AP Diver caseback and compared with JF V7, JF V8 and Noob 3.5 and for me it seems the caseback engraving on the Noob 3.5 is almost identical to the gen and the JF is somewhat less detailed and less crisp, and I am referring specifically to the "Royal Oak Offshore" engraving, while the fake serial numbers on caseback at the 12 and 6 positions are way better on the JFs! haha hard to make a decision.