• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

humble review of the current Rose Gold RubberClads JF/Noob

gochessmango

2/10/12
The AP Rubberclad Rose Gold came in three major releases. With the exception of the "Campioni del Mondo 2006" engraved caseback that was the same build as the 1st generation RGRC, a special 24 unit run for the Italian national football team.

Model: 25940.OK.O.D002.CA.01

1st generation RGRC with black subdials and black borders around the hour marker, white datewheel printed logo

Model: 26169.OK.O.D002.CA.01

This is the 24 unit run for the Italian football team which has a custom caseback but all other parts equal to above

Model: 25940.OK.O.D002.CA.02

2nd generation RGRC. AP changed the date disc to black instead of white and rose gold bands around the 3 subdials and hour markers. Slightly darker grey dial and tachy. AP logo, base of the hands also rose gold.

Model: 26178.OK.O.D002.CA.01

3rd generation RGRC. This aesthetically looks identical to the 2nd generation, but has the updated inhouse 3126/3840 calibre inside.

Personally I like the 1st generation RGRC with the white DW better, but the current offerings are only of the newer generation with the black DW.

I wanted to have a nice modded RGRC using the best parts of both JF and noob. I wanted to share some of the information I discovered, while doing the tear-down, with the forum.

PLEASE NOTE:

The notes on a particular part will be after the pictures of that part.
JF is always on the LEFT or TOP
NOOB is always on the RIGHT or BOTTOM

At first glance:

Having handled both dial version RGRC gens, The first thing I noticed was the color/tint of the rose gold on these watches compared to gen rose gold. Both are not quite there but noob is closer. The JF rose gold is definitely more reddish, more towards pink gold.

Crown side profile:

Here we can see that the position of the lug screws differ. JF case (top) you can see that the hole is drilled right in the middle of the horn of the midcase, while the NOOB case (bottom) has its holes for the lug screws drilled closer to the top of the midcase. Other things to note, the pushers and the rubber on the crown is a bit darker on the JF when compared to NOOB. Also a bit smoother in texture on JF. The crown logo and the octagon not perfectly aligned on either.

Top side profile:

Here we can see a difference between the thickness of the bevel polished edge of the midcase. With the JF being noticeably wider of a polished bevel when compared to noob. The gen while being a bit wider than the NOOB, is not as wide as the JF which is more noticeable. In this regard NOOB is closer.

Left side profile:

Again, same as the crown's side, you notice the lug screw hole positions in different places because of the different construction of the plots. It's good to note that the NOOB midcase and plots in general on the APROOs sec@12 line fit gen AP straps very nicely with no gaps between the strap and the horn of the midcase. The JF sec@12 cases, when mounted with gen AP straps, it often leaves a little gap where the strap meets the midcase horns.

Bottom side profile:

Same notes as the top side

Back side:

The back side of the midcase is not brushed on either maker. The smooth finish is better on the noob, see more pictures on this further down. The case back finish is good on both similar in quality. It is hard to picture but the rose gold is more yellowish on the right, NOOB case. AP logo are very similar. The words "royal oak offshore" is a bit thicker on the JF. The "750" 18K gold stamp is bigger and more noticeable on the noob. N.8520 on the noob as it always is. The word "AUTOMATIC" is of a better font and size on the JF. Lastly the letter and the numbers of the serial is closer to gen on the JF, numbers are close together and not spaced apart like the NOOB.

JF measures 15.71mm
NOOB measures 16.21mm

JF measures 47.19mm
NOOB measures 47.28mm

JF measures 54.17mm
NOOB measures 54.38mm

Case back details:

The size and construction of the case back and the large gasket is similar. The JF has an additional gasket on the inner circle. The letters "Audemars Piguet Swiss(made)" is bigger and deeper on the JF compared to NOOB. JF has "Swiss Made" while NOOB has "Swiss". Noob also still has its "Stainless Steel" markings stamped under the brand name.

Measurements of the watch with the case back and gasket off. JF 12.80mm NOOB 13.48mm

Crown and stem:

Similar construction. Rubber just a bit darker on the JF and finer texture. AP logo just a hair bolder and deeper engraved on the NOOB. NOOB also has the better rose gold color.

Bezel screws and nuts:

Similar in length with the NOOB being a tad longer. The noob has a lip where the head of the screw meets the body, whereas the JF is just flat. The head of the screw itself is thicker on the JF. Nut, threading, shape of the screw and the overall finish is more refined on the JF, crisper lines and smoother finishes.

Lug screws:

The NOOB is a hair shorter. NOOB's threading is wider. Again JF is just a bit more refined.

Movement tab and screws:

Screw itself is longer on the JF while the NOOB has a wider head. The tabs are wider on the NOOB

Tube:

The midcase area underneath the crown is better finished on the NOOB. Also the tube itself is a bit closer to the top of the midcase on the JF when compared to the NOOB.

Tachy construction:

There are two slots on the midcase of the JF for the JF tachy to sit into. Notice the two bumps on the back of the JF tachy. The NOOB tachy is taller and has a lip on the bottom while the back is flush.

Midcase horns:

Even the outer side of the case horns are brushed finished on the NOOB while the JF has no finish and shine.

Midcase measurement:

JF 7.01mm
NOOB 7.23mm

The plating:

My best attempt to capture the redder rose gold on the JF and the more yellow rose gold of the NOOB.

Bezel construction:

By now most of us know that the rubberclad bezel is far superior on the JF when compared to the NOOB. For starters, the base of the bezel on the JF is steel while the NOOB is plastic. There are already great threads out there on this so I move on.

Bezel and gasket measurement:

JF 6.00mm
NOOB 6.18mm

Tachy measurements:

JF 5.07mm
NOOB 5.55mm

Tachy ring color:

1st picture JF
2nd picture NOOB
3rd picture gen dial and tachy for reference

The JF tachy is much darker and the font is a bit more bolder. The NOOB shows shades of grey under the light similar to gen, almost pencil color.

Dial, Hands, logo, DW etc.:

JF is on the black leather cushion and NOOB on the metal holder.

While not perfect, the finish and color of dial is better on the NOOB. The gen has a slight gloss to the dial but under most lighting conditions it appears matte. The AP logo on the dial is bigger on the NOOB but the actual construction of the logo is better on the JF, with the "A" and the "P" touching on most of its sides, noob has it only touching on the top and the bottom of the letters. The other thing worth pointing out are the subdial hands. The base of the hands where the rose gold is showing has a slight overall dome on the NOOB while it is completely flat and closer to gen on the JF. The rose gold color difference on the hands and the logo were negligible here. The area directly under and around the AP logo on the dial is constructed much better on the JF compared to NOOB. The JF actually mimics the little step and the raised surface around the logo like the gen, NOOB makes no such attempt.

Straps:

Very similar in build. Logo also very similar. The rubber material is softer and better quality on the JF. The color of the rubber is slightly darker on the NOOB when compared to JF.

Clasps:

Of course the stock NOOB has pin holes showing on the clasp while the JF does not. Back of the clasp is polish finished on the JF while the NOOB has a dull smooth finish. The Brand name on the buckle is smaller and better engraved on the NOOB. The NOOB buckle also has more of a curve to it while the JF is flatter.

List of parts for the NOOB/JF hybrid build:

Crystal/Bezel/gasket - JF (better construction) - Crystal still can benefit from 2xAR
Bezel screws set - JF (more refined finished)
Hands - JF (mostly for the subdial hands which are closer to gen) - Relumed by the lume master
Dial - JF (for better construction of the AP logo and it's raised surrounding area) - Relumed by the lume master
Tachy Ring - Noob (It has a much better play on color under the light, closer to gen)
Datewheel - Noob (After gen dw, it's edge dw. After edge dw, it's noob dw IMO) in my opinion, noob DW is closer to gen than ETA DW
Movement - JF (Both are very similar, JF has the updated rotor) - Fully serviced
Midcase and plots - Noob (This is after all a Rose Gold Rubberclad, I have to go with the case with the better rose gold color. Plus gen straps fit better)
Crown/pushers - Noob (To match the rose gold on the crown with the case. Naturally the pushers' rubber has to match the crown)
Caseback - Noob (Similar to crown, want to match the rose gold color with the midcase)
Strap - JF (Better quality and softer rubber)
Clasp - JF (Has the no hole buckle)

Here is what I've got so far

Thank you for reading. I hope this information can help other members out there.

THXuk

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
25/3/06
London
Great in-depth review, many thanks for the effort to upload for others.

barth

Put Some Respect On My Name
5/10/12
Great write-up,

it's one of my favorite AP's, congrats on the build !

prdk-

Known Member
29/11/14
Looking for this AP. Absolutely brilliant review! This makes our hobby so nice and let us help with our decisions. TOP!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-P600 met Tapatalk

blackboxes

Advisor/Supporter
Advisor
31/5/15
Very nice! Sticky worthy! Loving the details put into this review.

damocles

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
21/12/15
Very nice build. May I ask what cyclops did you use for the watch?

gochessmango

2/10/12
I used the JF cyclop for the moment because it has the better quality AR out of the box. Of course better options out there... Slaughter just did a very nice thread about this

chris3007

Mythical Poster
24/8/13
Fantastic read! Thanks for sharing

Rep points added

Sent from my iPhone 6

triker

I'm Pretty Popular
5/3/12
UK
Absolutely brilliant review. Thanks for taking the time and huge effort put in.

Excellent.

triker.

ernien

Renowned Member
23/9/12
Ontario, Canada
Wow! Amazing review, thank you. The best JF vs Noob ROO comparison I've seen, really highlights the differences clearly.

SpackJarrow

Renowned Member
13/4/15
Wow! That is indeed one hell of a job! Super!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tosoboso

I'm Pretty Popular
5/2/15
Fantastic! Absolutely stunning job doing the review... Thank you, Sir!

Audermars

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
8/9/15
Amazing review and stunning watch you got there!

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
State-of-the-art comparison. With RGRC, as with all rose gold models, a hybrid is necessary because of the reddish tint of the JF rose gold. I am surprised you got everything to work so effortlessly as I have had to do machining especially on the tachy for such hybrid builds. I like your sensitivity to colour and tint, and also your willingness to point out the imperfections of the JF case (there are others as well). We need more threads like this focussed on construction and detail rather than "which one should I buy?" LOL.

jpohl402

10/7/12
WOW!!!
What an incredible and detailed review! You truly covered everything!
Two thumbs up and thank you!

tinitonsi

Patron
Certified
21/3/14
Very nice review, mate. I think that hybrid construction is sometimes really needed (if not always) in this rep game.
Thx for sharing ;)

aflop

22/5/13
Absolutely brilliant comparison mate! Big rep points coming your way!

One thing I've noted is that with the 1st generation white date wheel RGRC, the gen has a grayish tachy but they changed it to black on the second generation gen.

So technically Noob's is a flawed 1st gen rep (wrong dial marker and sundial surrounds, black datewheel) and JF is a very accurate 2nd gen rep.

That is why I chose to swap the colour of my noob tachy to be closer to second generation RGRc

ernien

Renowned Member
23/9/12
Ontario, Canada
Never realized but the RGRC came in I Serial so the JF date font is ok, but the diver style caseback is odd.

dKFgSGr.jpg
Eefazg9.jpg