• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Mini review on the AP Forged Carbon : Noob v4 vs JF v5 (post Nov 15)

lolo1972sg

Put Some Respect On My Name
Certified
3/10/15
Sillypore
Introduction
This is my first mini review to contribute something back to this fantastic forum. Most of the information in this small write up can already been found somewhere either in this forum or in some neighboring forums. Anyhow, the info is not likely to be complete but it will be a good summary for most noobs or folks not too familiar with this AP FC diver. Some of the AP pros here surely have more knowledge than I can capture in this mini review.
There are actually a few versions of this diver rep and they are all 42mmx14mm and are all closed back versions.
This model is, IMHO, one of the best AP reps (together with SS version and Ceramic version) out of the box till date – Jan 2016.

Pros and Cons between JF v5 and Noob v4
As of Jan 16, the 2 best available versions are:

1. Noob AP FC Diver v4 A2824 (around USD 480). This rep was launched somewhere in 2014 september.
This is the link to one of the TD sites:
http://www.puretime.watch/product/r...oob-11-best-edition-on-rubber-strap-a2824-v4/

Pros:

• DW most gen like (but reps purchased after Nov 2015 version seem to have the wrong DW or rather the same DW as the JF v5 version)
  • A2824 without decorated plate: less likely for things to go wrong (and it is a closed case anyway). Note that I have not yet opened up my FC diver received in late Jan 16 to verify that it is still a A2824 undecorated.
  • The A2824 can be modded to a lower beat movement (but big note: not easily done and I there are only a couple of modders who can do that in this forum)
  • Hour hand is o correct colour, correct lume and presents thin 2 lines.
  • Correct bezel font size
Cons:

• AR crystal might not be as good as JF version.
  • The DW font is harder to read (probably the cyclops mag is not right and cyclops AR is cloudy).

2. JF AP FC Diver v5 miyota decorated 3120 (USD 480), launched sometime in Nov 2015:
This is the link to one of the TD sites:
http://www.puretime.watch/product/r...-11-jf-best-edition-on-rubber-strap-a3120-v5/

Pros

• Better crystal
  • Some say better FC case (might not be really the case IMHO because I can’t figure out how one distinguish a better FC case since the FC patterns will always vary from rep to rep)
Cons:

• DW might not be as good as Noob
  • Hour hand: too grey (likely fixed in the Nov version) but the 2 thick lines are still there on the hour hand!
  • Miyota movement: reportedly more noisy (note: I find my FC diver on A2824 to be more noisy than my AP 15400 miyota. Movement is decorated which means might present additional risks )
  • Smaller (incorrect) bezel font size
  • Some say the miyota movement is noiser (note: I find my noob v4 to be noiser than my miyota AP 15400)

I would also suggest these 3 good threads to read and consider before anyone decides to pull the trigger:
https://rwg.cc/topic/181118-ap-fc-gen-to-rep-comparison (but the compared versions are those before Nov 15 versions)
https://forum.replica-watch.info/vb...oob-Forged-Carbon-(FC)-Diver-is-BACK-in-STOCK!
https://forum.replica-watch.info/vb...-1-JF-Best-Edition-A2824-V5-(PIC-HEAVY)/page3

Pictures illustration of some of the Pros and Cons
Nov15 Noob v4 (courtesy of APCheng’s QC pictures)- see the clearly better thin black lines but DW font is now same as JF V5:
The original link is here:
https://forum.replica-watch.info/vb...ged-Carbon-(FC)-Diver-is-BACK-in-STOCK!/page2
apcheng%2520qc%2520pic%2520comments_zps1qhsqci1.jpg

Nov 15 JF v5 (intime website). Notice the white hour hand now, it is no longer grey. But one can still clearly see the 2 thick lines on the hour hand.
http://www.intime.co/audemars-piguet/1600-royal-oak-offshore-diver-forged-carbon-a3120-v5.html

intime%2520JF%2520v5%2520pic_zpsfrg6malw.jpg

Old Noob V4 (before Nov 15). The DW font was apparently more gen like:

PT%2520Noob%2520v4%2520pre%2520Nov%252015%2520correct%2520DW_zpshgtyc7kn.jpg

QC care (what to look out for during QC):
Read this thread also for a good comparison of V4 vs V5:
https://forum.replica-watch.info/vb...d-Carbon-Diver-Noob-v4-or-J12-v5-which-to-get

Checklist should include these:

• Have to check to see inner bezel marker align with outer marker (one of the most common QC issues with FC diver)
  • Check that the 12 oclock markers are both of same length
  • Check DW window alignment (to be straight)
  • Check also that all markers are aligned correctly
  • Check the inner bezel numbers 30, 40 and 50 all do not touch the dial
  • Check also that there is well defined border on all inner bezel numbers (which defines the lume areas).
  • Check the AP wordings on the straps
  • Engraving at the back of buckle (“TITANE”: correct. Other wordings such as "stainless steel" and etc are wrong version or buckle)
  • If buy JF, have to also check the date between 20 to 31 to see if you can see the next date (next date should not appear).
marker%2520misalignment%2520pic_zpsbos3k0ou.jpg

back%2520buckle_zpsuzcnwt28.jpg

Another qc thread with Noob V4 qc pics:
https://forum.replica-watch.info/vb...C-pics-question-bezel-alignment-with-caseback

Some rep shots:

FC diver on a nice red rubber strap (courtesy of d09624008):
d09624008_zps80gzroxm.jpg

FC diver on a sub-6 inch wrist. So yes, folks with small wrist can wear this but the lugs are a little bit overhanging, IMHO:

wrist%2520shot%25201_zpsl1lqqwxy.jpg

Another perspective, same rep, same small wrist:

wrist%2520shot%25202_zps3tg6rivp.jpg

Special mentions and thanks:

• Firstly, I have to thank ALE7575, yes ALE7575, the king of PAM. He is the one that guided me the most when I first joined this forum in Oct 15. A truly nice guide with tons of knowledge, not only on PAM but also Hublot! I would not have gone so deep in this hobby if not for him.
  • Secondly, I have to thank APCheng and d09624008 because I used their photos. J
  • Thirdly, I have to thank…. Aflop, this guy is why I have bought 3 Aps and counting. Because I saw his wrist shots sometime in end Oct 15 and I asked myself: “hmmmm…. Why the fxxk are these reps so nice?” and before long, I have 3. His wrist shots are nice, his mods are excellent and his eyes are super sharp (can distinguish gen from rep a mile out). This guy is one of the AP pros in this forum.

Retina

Certified
18/12/14
Great info. Thanks for sharing

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Great review. Thanks for taking the time.

Since the xtal is one of the biggest cons for the noob FC, I wondered what replacement x2AR xtals options are available.

I understand that JF and noob diver xtals are not interchangable.

Profs says that he can't be sure whether his noob ROO spec 42mm x2AR xtal will fit on the noob FC diver. Anyone here tried to install a profs on a noob FC? Are there any other options to get x2AR on a noob FC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sweden

I'm Pretty Popular
10/6/13
Awesome thank you! :)

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

lolo1972sg

Certified
3/10/15
Sillypore
I might do one or two more reviews with "what to look out for during QC" when I have more time during the CNY period. Probably on a 2014 AP ROO Black Theme? Or perhaps the AP RO 15400 (sort of summary and things to look out for).

peterpl

24/7/11
Where did you get the info for the back of the buckle? Its meant to say TITANE isnt it? Newer buckles from JF all say that. The older ones say "acerinox" I believe.

Also looking now directly at both a JF v5 and a Noob v4 the issue of the hour hand being fatter is ridiculous. Real life you aint telling anything between the two thats for sure.

JFv5 shines more. The carbon effect is more clearly seen and has more shine. Hard to capture but to the naked eye you will see it - I remember a few members on here offering a shining service for their Noob FC case. Few guys did it - forgot who though.

miniatureone

Renowned Member
16/7/14
Great overview: very clear and concise and some solid pictures. High five to sub-6-inch wrists.

Rotador

I'm Pretty Popular
28/9/14
Interesting review, lolo1972sg. Thank you for sharing your comments.

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
JFv5 shines more. The carbon effect is more clearly seen and has more shine.

Yeh, I think you're right.

Here's my noob v4.
d56d4489526ed463002f1b858336281d.jpg

As you can see the case looks very matte. However, I do not know if this is the case for all noobs....since each FC case (JF, noob or gen) has a unique pattern. Either way, the case can be polished relatively easily.

The JF hour hand is too grey for my liking. Not as grey as before but still too grey (compared to the noob hour hand).

The JF SS Diver v7 hour hands are also too grey....I'm looking at stock hands vs relumed hands as we speak.

kloop999

You're Saying I Can Sell?
3/12/15
I understand that JF and noob diver xtals are not interchangable.

Profs says that he can't be sure whether his noob ROO spec 42mm x2AR xtal will fit on the noob FC diver. Anyone here tried to install a profs on a noob FC? Are there any other options to get x2AR on a noob FC?

I installed without any issue a diver V7 crystal on a Noob FC V4... From what I saw they are identical (and the V7 definitely a step above the noob)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

lolo1972sg

Certified
3/10/15
Sillypore
One more wrist shot. This is a noob v4.
Sidenote: just did a 8km run with this rep very early this morning followed by some gym sessions. Very comfortable, very light. A truly good sportive rep. I like. :)
04601ccf20992acd11b221e7c8b10e23.jpg

ArcAngel

You're Saying I Can Sell?
30/11/14
Very nice summary in the differences between the JF and Noon version and great info for anyone deciding which to buy

pfdamion876

5/5/13
Wow great review! Sounds like the noob gets the edge due to the bezel accuracy, without you agree?

lolo1972sg

Certified
3/10/15
Sillypore
Wow great review! Sounds like the noob gets the edge due to the bezel accuracy, without you agree?
Bezel accuracy?
I actually believe that both are very good. The decision will depend on what flaws are acceptable to you.

pfdamion876

5/5/13
Bezel accuracy?
I actually believe that both are very good. The decision will depend on what flaws are acceptable to you.

The bezel font size that you mentioned in your post, or do you think the difference is minor? I also like the noob hour hand more.