• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

mini review: AP ROO Panda Gen vs Rep side by side

sy0296

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/2/12
little back ground: i got into the rep game when i was shopping for an AP ROO Montoya where google led me to RWI. i decided to get a rep montoya to try on for size and the rest is history.

fast forward to 5 months a several reps later, i decided that I really wanted to try a panda dial and ordered one from PT. by chance, while the rep was being delivered I walked by an AP boutique while shopping with my wife...and right there in the main display starring at me straight in the face was a panda dial on a bracelet--exactly what i wanted. we walked in, i tried it on, and the rest is a hazy memory clouded by excitement!

after wearing the gen for 4 days the rep arrived. i'm amazed at the awesome job the factories did on repping this watch. as you AP guru's know, it is not a true 1:1 but for 2% of what the gen costs there is really nothing to complain about

Without further adieu:

Side by side. Even at this distance, at a quick glance you can't really tell the two apart
144908550.jpg

Did you guess it? The Gen is the one on the right (date wheel@23).

Close-Ups

Gen
144908553.jpg

Rep
144908554.jpg

The first thing that catches my eye is the AR...easy mod. The dial is also more 3 dimensional on the Gen. Looking at them side by side, there is also a noticeable difference from the AP logo as well as the font used for the date wheel. The Gen logo is smaller and applied differently (somehow I think the Rep actually look better in this respect). The font used on the Gen date wheel is also fuller than the Rep. Case, bezel, pushers, CG, crown, hands, numerals, chronos, all look pretty spot on! the brushed finish on the Gen is finer as is the polish on the bezel screws. overall fit and finish on the Gen is better than the Rep but only noticeable if you really pay attention to it.

Gen
144908555.jpg

Rep
144908556.jpg

From the side it's even harder to tell the two apart--hats off to the reppers! if the time was set identically i'd have a very difficult time telling which photo is of the Gen. Many here (myself included) are obsessed about the bezel screws. The Gen is just ever so slightly recessed and perfectly uniform whereas the Rep needs a bit more work. Another difference here is the links on the bracelet. The Gen is slightly more rounded and is more flexible. This is also reflected on how the watch wears...the Rep is stiffer and does not conform to the wrist as nicely (you can tell by how the bracelet 'hugs' the pillow on the Gen). For those with bigger meatier wrists it probably does not matter, but my on puny 6 3/8" wrist the Rep is noticeably more uncomfortable.

Gen
144916836.jpg

Rep
144908557.jpg

Other than the font, the case back is very close to each other. At this angle you can again see how the Gen bracelet is able to conform better to the wrist.

Gen
144908561.jpg

Rep
144908560.jpg

The engraving on the clasp is very good. Without a side by side comparison it's hard to spot the Rep. The engraving is just deeper/finer on the Gen but the positioning on the Rep is spot on. You can't tell from the photos, but the Gen clasp fastens with a more satisfying click and holds better/firmer than the Rep. The Rep still fastens just as well and stays put on the wrist but the Gen just feels more solid (like when you close a door on the Mercedes S-Class vs a Honda Civic, they both function the same but one does it with more authority). You'll notice that the Rep is upside-down to the Gen. Not sure if this was just a production mistake or if all the Reps come like this but this is an easy one to fix by simply flipping the clasp.

Gen
144908562.jpg

Rep
144908563.jpg

Not much to say here except "good job rep factory!!!" (okay, if you really must be picky, the case back is slightly thicker but it is not physically or visually noticeable when you wear the watch)

Conclusion
The latest AP ROO Silver Theme Ultimate Edition is an awesome rep. With some small mods and maybe a splurge on a Gen bracelet would give this watch both Gen-like appearance and comfort.

Thanks for looking. If you want any specific photos please let me know soon as I'll be posting my Rep for sale in a couple days.

:cheers:

JC7

Put Some Respect On My Name
15/6/10
Thanks for this. Great watch. Wear it in good health.

armanou-pascal

Renowned Member
24/7/11
Nice indeed, i had the brother too.

What i dislike and bothers me every time i see, is the datewheel ... the numbers could match the gen really better :|

5840949d-6a4a-75ba.jpg

5840949d-6a68-2f25.jpg

JeMuMue

Known Member
4/12/11
Thanks for the compare - highly appreciated

Enjoy the beautiful Gen and Rep ;)

alokk

Horology Curious
8/7/12
Thanks for the comparison sy, its really amazing what we get for at 2% price, btw Sy, i send you a PM

fitipaldi

8/10/10
I have the rep too, and for me the big tell, in a side by side with the gen, is the black matter applied to the numbers in the dial. The rep seems to be more black-grey and the gen more black-black.

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Very nice comparison
Thanks for sharing it
I'm going to buy a SS bracelet for my Panda just now !! LOL

ALE

sy0296

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/2/12
Thanks for this. Great watch. Wear it in good health.
thanks!!

Thanks for the compare - highly appreciated

Enjoy the beautiful Gen and Rep ;)
least i can do after everything this forum has given me

Great comparison. They've done a great job with this watch.
they sure have! i'm truly amazed

Nice indeed, i had the brother too.

What i dislike and bothers me every time i see, is the datewheel ... the numbers could match the gen really better
no one makes a updated date wheel with the correct numerals? can't be that hard to do can it?

Thanks for the comparison sy, its really amazing what we get for at 2% price, btw Sy, i send you a PM
thanks! appreciate your help

I have the rep too, and for me the big tell, in a side by side with the gen, is the black matter applied to the numbers in the dial. The rep seems to be more black-grey and the gen more black-black.
on mine they are very close. i took another photo of the watches right next to each other. the rep does look slightly washed out in pictures but i feel it's that non-AR crystal.

Very nice comparison
Thanks for sharing it
I'm going to buy a SS bracelet for my Panda just now !! LOL

ALE
do it! but keep in mind the rep bracelet is not very comfortable on smaller wrists.

Thanks for the great pics :)
cheers!

here are two more photos

144918008.jpg

See how the bracelet on the Gen is much more flexible than the rep? If you have roundish wrists or have more meat on your bones it may not be an issue, but on my skinnier wrist the Rep bracelet leaves gaps and also has pressure points making this heavy watch uncomfortable to wear after more than an hour or so. If I was modding a franken the first thing I'd do is source a Gen bracelet.

144918009.jpg

just another pic showing how close the Rep is to the real deal. Fitipaldi, notice how the close the color is on the numerals as well.

Asheron82

I'm Pretty Popular
11/6/10
See how the bracelet on the Gen is much more flexible than the rep? If you have roundish wrists or have more meat on your bones it may not be an issue, but on my skinnier wrist the Rep bracelet leaves gaps and also has pressure points making this heavy watch uncomfortable to wear after more than an hour or so. If I was modding a franken the first thing I'd do is source a Gen bracelet.

awesome side-by-side comparo dude! seems to me the biggest tell at a quick close up glance would be the dw font and size on the rep compared to the gen.

as for making the rep bracelet more flexible, you could adopt several methods like using a lubricant stick or apply wd40. you could also refer to Guru's thread.

Jaybo

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/13
Thank you very much for the review. I have had my heart set on this particular watch since I first saw it. It's good to see shots like this.

Do you have a hornback for it also?

Pao21

Known Member
8/10/12
Hi guys! I've been trying to look for the answer here but the search button just couldn't give me an answer.

The AP ROO Panda is on my list of to-get-reps. I'm planning to get one soon. But I've seen pictures of the gen with a more silvery dial than the rep's glossy white. I don't know if this is just due to the lighting in the photos.

I don't see rep Panda owners complaining about the dial's color so I'm guessing it must be close in real life. But some gen pics I see have a silvery dial. And most rep Panda pics on TD websites and in the forums have a very white dial.

Below are the gen panda pics I was referring to. I hope Mr.Ryanwayer doesn't mind if I repost the pics of his beautiful gen silver themes. These are the closest pics I could find to show that silvery gen dial that I don't see in rep pics.

This is the latest version, AP have changed some minor detail...:)

img1665e.jpg

img1655x.jpg

img1654xp.jpg

img1656bl.jpg

img1657l.jpg

img1660fm.jpg

img1662ty.jpg

img1666n.jpg

img1672y.jpg

img1673jw.jpg

The " AP" Logo is not printed anymore, it's a metal part , look very shiny.

img1678pl.jpg

They have changed the fonts on sub dial, see the fonts is not same with previous version, and also the New case back " Royal Oak Offshore", the "O" is different shape now.
dialupdate.jpg

Link to his thread:
forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/ap-roo-panda-119377?t=119377&highlight=panda

Reactions: swordfish_77

ark2506

11/12/12
Hi guys! I've been trying to look for the answer here but the search button just couldn't give me an answer.

The AP ROO Panda is on my list of to-get-reps. I'm planning to get one soon. But I've seen pictures of the gen with a more silvery dial than the rep's glossy white. I don't know if this is just due to the lighting in the photos.

I don't see rep Panda owners complaining about the dial's color so I'm guessing it must be close in real life. But some gen pics I see have a silvery dial. And most rep Panda pics on TD websites and in the forums have a very white dial.

Below are the gen panda pics I was referring to. I hope Mr.Ryanwayer doesn't mind if I repost the pics of his beautiful gen silver themes. These are the closest pics I could find to show that silvery gen dial that I don't see in rep pics.

Link to his thread:
forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/ap-roo-panda-119377?t=119377&highlight=panda

I can confirm the silvery dial issue - my friend has a gen panda, and upon comparison of the dial, it was very clear that the rep dial was, although similar in color, very dull. The gen has a shine to it. Its an obvious tell, and although it may be nitpicking, it kind of bothers me.

The silvery dial thing is actually not the only issue - on the seconds dial, the gen's red numbers and markings are very strong, whereas on the rep they are quite faded.

theflyingdutchman

I'm Pretty Popular
20/3/06
...and what they need to do is remove the hole in the buckle side as the gen does not have this and use a differently numbered case back 8520 is a dead give away!