• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZF 15400 VS APS 15400

ADCJ

Known Member
Supporter
13/6/20
CONUS
I have a Franken JF v2 with a gen white/silver dial; what are your thoughts on transplanting that dial into an APSF base? [With ZF hands, ofc :) ]

Miraculously, I picked up a gen bracelet on ebay for like $250, so I think between that and the gen dial, I have the makings of a really awesome build. If the marginal improvements from switching into an APSF base are small relative to the cost/effort required to do the transplant, though, I'll just slap the gen bracelet on the current JF franken.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I have a Franken JF v2 with a gen white/silver dial; what are your thoughts on transplanting that dial into an APSF base? [With ZF hands, ofc :) ]

Miraculously, I picked up a gen bracelet on ebay for like $250, so I think between that and the gen dial, I have the makings of a really awesome build. If the marginal improvements from switching into an APSF base are small relative to the cost/effort required to do the transplant, though, I'll just slap the gen bracelet on the current JF franken.

I think it’ll be an awesome move.

IMHO ZF hands are a lot closer to gen ones. I don’t need to take 1000 macro shots to tell you that. I have 2 gen 15400s in my collection and I have seen APSF and ZF hands and of course the gen and I’m just sharing my thoughts.
At the end of the day, you need to be the one to decide what works for your watch. You have the right to enjoy your watch the way you want to, and not based on the opinions of others (including mine).

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14

ADCJ

Known Member
Supporter
13/6/20
CONUS
Excellent—thank you for the advice and encouragement!

Would that dial transplant be pretty straight-forward? E.g., would I be able to do the swap without welding on new feet? Or alternatively, could I just switch the dial+movement from the JF with the dial+movement in the APSF, instead of removing the dials and changing which movement they're on? That would be *much* easier, but I worry that the Miyota movement from the JF might not fit into the APSF case.

BTW, I'd asked you a while ago about possible ways to deal with my dissatisfaction with how the rep movements look. You suggested that it was a really intractable problem, and the only real solution was to pick up a gen 3120. I came up with an alternative that ended up costing a bit more ($32k), but which I think you will like:
zz0o3i.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Armcandy and legend

jackman19

Horology Curious
7/5/22
Excellent—thank you for the advice and encouragement!

Would that dial transplant be pretty straight-forward? E.g., would I be able to do the swap without welding on new feet? Or alternatively, could I just switch the dial+movement from the JF with the dial+movement in the APSF, instead of removing the dials and changing which movement they're on? That would be *much* easier, but I worry that the Miyota movement from the JF might not fit into the APSF case.

BTW, I'd asked you a while ago about possible ways to deal with my dissatisfaction with how the rep movements look. You suggested that it was a really intractable problem, and the only real solution was to pick up a gen 3120. I came up with an alternative that ended up costing a bit more ($32k), but which I think you will like:
zz0o3i.jpg

Haha nice Pic!

For the new Clone 3120 movement, you can either insert the dial with the feet, or do it like ZF where they glue on the dial without the feet.

But i do not think the Gen dial + Miyota movement will fit in the APSF case.

Reactions: ADCJ

ADCJ

Known Member
Supporter
13/6/20
CONUS
Right on—thanks for the info :)

Do you know how to remove the stem from a JF-decorated Miyota? I don't see the release hole that's usually visible on Miyotas.

Armcandy

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
19/12/15
CONUS
Thanks for the post! I have been researching and my head hurts. Took me a while to decided the 15400 over the 15500.

That said, when I say I want the blue dial it sounds like things get more complicated. From my take, it sounds like the apsf blue dial color is more accurate?

Thanks again for the side by sides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RX7GP

🦁
Supporter
Patron
Certified
16/2/16

Thanks for the nice comparison, helped me for deciding between APSF and ZF.

In my opinion case & bracelet finishing and light reflection looks better on ZF from photos, Crown looks very thick on APSF, also ZF's side profile looks better to me. i can't understand why APSF is more favored except its movement

Nono92

I'm Pretty Popular
24/11/21
Maybe I'm wrong but the dial on the right (PASF ?) seems better. I should say closer to gen because there is no better colour absolutely...

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Maybe I'm wrong but the dial on the right (PASF ?) seems better. I should say closer to gen because there is no better colour absolutely...

The gen 15400 blue has 3 different colors at least, and not just a single one.

Reactions: Allure

Nono92

I'm Pretty Popular
24/11/21
Maybe closer to one of the three colours of the blue gen ;)

Tedo

Horology Curious
30/12/22
Europe
Very interesting comparison...

But now which one I have to order? :unsure::unsure::unsure: