• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

THE QUICK RWI ANTI-FRAUD GUIDE FOR PEOPLE WHO DON'T LIKE TO READ

eBoy

⏱️ RWI New Members Area Chief Janitor 🎪🛠️
Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia
HEGxq4.jpeg

THE QUICK RWI ANTI-FRAUD GUIDE FOR PEOPLE WHO DON'T LIKE TO READ, BUT WANT TO BUY A REPLICA:

Intro: This guide is supposed to serve as a fast reference sheet for newbies to get a quick scam prevention overview over the most important things to consider before buying a rep.

Remember: You need to research before the transaction, not after! IDEALLY, YOU SHOULD ALSO USE THE MUCH MORE DETAILED RESOURCES! It's YOUR money, YOUR research to do, and ultimately YOUR choice. The information is here, so it's YOUR decision to use it, or not.

A. (TRUSTED) DEALER SHOPPING:

A1. Don't ever use Google or another search engine to look up a TD's contact info! ONLY use the official info found on RWI! 🚩

A2.
Don't ever use your real credit card to pay, only virtual cards for one-time use!

A3. If you want to play it safe: Always stick with the TDs on RWI or on other communities!

A4. Remember: If you use a TD, it is safe to pay before receiving QC photos. It's common practice to pay first.

A5. A real TD will NEVER contact you via PM without your prior inquiry! 🚩

A6.
Remember: The web is packed with TD impostors / scammers who use a TD's name and logo with very similar URLs, but have no actual affiliation with the real TD! (see point "A1") 🚩

A7. If you stumble across a dealer who claims to have Swiss / India / Turkey etc. made reps with real Swiss movements, run away! All reps are made in China, anyone who claims to have Swiss made reps is a fraud! 🚩

B. M2M (Member/Private) TRANSACTIONS:

B1. If if an offer looks too good to be true, it probably is! 🚩

B2. Be alarmed if someone who's not certified offers you a watch via PM as this is how scams start! 🚩

B3. KEYWORD: DUE DILLIGENCE. "Buy the seller"! Make sure the seller is a user with a good reputation / track record on RWI!

B4. In a sales thread, always reply with "PM" if you pm the seller, and with "Funds sent" if you pay the seller! This protects you and everyone else.

B5. If you are offered a watch through PM, always INSIST on a "reserved sale" for your own protection. Backdoor deals are frowned upon and, if insisted on, this should be a big red flag, especially if the user is new and trying to redirect comms outside of RWI! 🚩

B6. Verifying that the merchandise is in your desired condition & is indeed from the advertised factory is your responsibility, not the sales mods'!

B7.
RWI recommends that you only use "Goods & Services" when paying with PayPal, instead of "Friends & Family"

B8. Seller certification is not a guarantee that fraud is impossible. Good judgement & due diligence still apply!

HNDMZY.jpeg

Attention, more experienced users: Your input is wanted!

Since quite a lot of new users rarely acknowledge being given a detailed introduction, or even being given a lengthy individual reply to their question(s), there's often no way of knowing whether they are equipped with the bare minimum to avoid costly mistakes, I therefore had the idea to compile an "Anti Fraud TL;DR" of sorts as a compressed overview of our extensive newbie knowledge base that's out there, to specifically prevent new users from being scammed.

Feel free to link to it, especially if there is no time to write an individual reply to a new user that appears to be "lost" and may be a potential fraud victim... The intention here is
to have a guide that doesn't require much reading, but addresses each typical problem with a single sentence, enough to perhaps catch the attention of our newbies to ideally feel motivated to read more on the different subjects within the already available, more detailed resources.

It’s a "work in progress" as of now, and everyone is invited to contribute. Please post your suggestions in the replies to be added later!

Last edited:

Fiddo

-----
Patron
Certified
16/2/09
In a Causal Loop
M2M--

1.Buy the Seller not the watch. Pay attention to posts they have made in the past. How long have they been here. Supporter/Patron? Do some research on who you are buying from not just what they are selling.
2. If it looks too good to be true....It most likely is too good to be true.

eBoy

Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia
M2M--

1.Buy the Seller not the watch. Pay attention to posts they have made in the past. How long have they been here. Supporter/Patron? Do some research on who you are buying from not just what they are selling.
2. If it looks too good to be true....It most likely is too good to be true.

Thanks for your input!

Your point 2. I'll turn into 1. tomorrow. 👍 Always good to start with something very basic. 😆

Your point 1. I need to compress to the essence. That's a good point... "due dilligence"... But 2 sentences is too long. 🤣

Gotta call it a night. After 1 am here... 😴

Reactions: calamityjane

Feefo

Your cleverness is mistaken for your cleverness
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
Sales moderators do not authenticate the watch nor vet the seller. It's the buyers due diligence to check the watch and satisfy himself of its condition and "buy" the seller.

eBoy

Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia
... a written guide for those who don't like to read...

It’s a provocative title to provoke at least a minimum effort... 😂

I thought about how it will be potentially ignored just as much as the more detailed information will be, but if it keeps just a single scammer from scoring 500 bucks for once, it will have been worth the time we invested.

Also, I can identify myself with the "it's their own fault, because the info to avoid scams is out there" mentality, because I'm too frustrated about the inability or laziness to read.

But fraud prevention is pretty much the "genesis" of RWI, so this effort is in that spirit, not to make the life of "lazy noobs" easier.

Think about the stuff in stickies @P..DR..D or @Feefo and all the other great contributors have written, and spent much more time than I will on this short (future) sticky.

I don't think their efforts were in vain, just because there's a large crowd out there that ignores it. Quite to the contrary, actually. I think about all the smart people who signed up here first BEFORE ordering with some shady Real Swiss AAAAAAAAA+++++ site, who used those resources and took a great deal of help and assistance out if it, and avoided a scam in the process ...

eBoy

Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia
A written guide that will be ignored because they want to know who makes the best sub

That's my next guide project!

Sneak peak: It will only feature the best U-Boats and best sandwiches. 😇😆

PS: All entries will feature a review by Tony from Noob. 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: DarioM6611

asusundevils1971

Your Parents Warned You To Stay Away From Me.
Supporter
23/2/23
Canada
It’s a provocative title to provoke at least a minimum effort...
If you want to be provocative and have new members read the thread. Change the title " New Members Read This To Win A Watch " getting them in the door is half the battle, And make sure to put a disclaimer at the bottom in small font.

Feefo

Your cleverness is mistaken for your cleverness
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
If you want to be provocative and have new members read the thread. Change the title " New Members Read This To Win A Watch " getting them in the door is half the battle, And make sure to put a disclaimer at the bottom in small font.
"The Best Sub"

eBoy

Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia
LOL

But on the other hand, if you think about it... It's actually true. 😂

Reactions: asusundevils1971

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Patron
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
While I appreciate the effort and thoughtfulness that went into this guide, ultimately I have a feeling that unless forced to read, a majority of the new members will ignore it. Rather than adding text, I will add my artistic flare with a potential picture to grab people's attention.

PSX_20231214_0744351b451abd7d3d0d7e.jpg

eBoy

Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia
While I appreciate the effort and thoughtfulness that went into this guide, ultimately I have a feeling that unless forced to read, a majority of the new members will ignore it. Rather than adding text, I will add my artistic flare with a potential picture to grab people's attention.

PSX_20231214_0744351b451abd7d3d0d7e.jpg

This will definitely get an honorary placing at the end of the guide to add some humor! 😆

eBoy

Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia
Tip 0.

It's your money. not ours.
We won't feel any pain. You will.

Good point, Pikachu. But that should be common sense... If somebody is unaware that it's their own money a scammer may end up scoring to begin with, I don't think mentioning it in a guide will help. 🤣

eBoy

Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia
Sales moderators do not authenticate the watch nor vet the seller. It's the buyers due diligence to check the watch and satisfy himself of its condition and "buy" the seller.

Included it!

Thank U Reaction GIF by Mauro Gatti

Reactions: tatabeck and Feefo