• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

[NEW] Omega Speedmaster

john442

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
9/4/10
The Cold Canadian North
I love the look of the speedmaster pro moonwatch , but i cant get my head around why these were made with a manual wind.
Someone please explain why you would want that?

Reactions: Jarken

didjital7

Renowned Member
30/1/21
Holy hell.... I never would have thought of that.....

But really- how many of us are going into space?

RDRoss

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
28/5/19
Holy hell.... I never would have thought of that.....

But really- how many of us are going into space?
There are speedmaster pros which are automatic, but the allure of the manual wind is that it was the model that went to space / the moon. People dig that.

bhehe6813

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
13/7/16
There are speedmaster pros which are automatic, but the allure of the manual wind is that it was the model that went to space / the moon. People dig that.
The speedy pro is not automatic. The reduced was, and the heritage is. Both the speedy pros (hesalite and sapphire sandwich) use 3861 which is manual wind with hacking seconds, prior they used 18xx without hacking seconds, but no automatics since I think the 80s.

Last edited:

Big Beetle

Horology Curious
24/10/20
The 3861 is a pleasure to wind every morning and looks amazing. Personally, I don’t want a big rotor blocking my view of the movement.

Plenty of 1861 watches second hand in nice nick means it’s one that definitely worth buying in genuine (not that you can get a good rep anyway!)

Radirka

Supporter
Certified
17/5/22
Old Continent
Well, about the smooth winding and an every day pleasure of it - I have to say the 1861 is anything but pleasure to wind every day.

Reactions: Karbon74

Radirka

Supporter
Certified
17/5/22
Old Continent
Do tell......... why do you say that?
Well, because the crown is well recessed and pretty small so the winding process often gives me a sore thumb. I've had many hand wound watches, I also always pre-wind automatics and the Speedy is by far the most uncomfortable to wind of the lot, especially in the winter months when the skin is dry. It's a pain on the fingers.

Reactions: Valaj

bhehe6813

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
13/7/16
Well, because the crown is well recessed and pretty small so the winding process often gives me a sore thumb. I've had many hand wound watches, I also always pre-wind automatics and the Speedy is by far the most uncomfortable to wind of the lot, especially in the winter months when the skin is dry. It's a pain on the fingers.
Yes it is a little awkward, I agree. My thumbs are big too. Have to kinda slide my thumb in one direction and part of my index in the other.

Sounds so nice winding compared to literally any rep I've ever had though. Gen just sounds so nice lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: john442