• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Pre-A 009 back from the Zigmeister's work bench

tutima

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/06
Just received this 009 back from the Zigmeister's work bench...

Spec of the watch:
- Jimmy Fu case set & CG
- Jimmy Fu Sapphire crystal with AR stripped
- Palp crown
- Custom PVD
- DSN hands and caseback
- DSN Swiss 8497 with correct height CP
- FGD dial vintage lumed

All work and assembly of the above parts by the master...Strap it on a small scale light brown gator lightly aged to provide the right contrast...

DSC01229.jpg

DSC01230.jpg

DSC01236.jpg

DSC01239.jpg

DSC01240.jpg

DSC01234.jpg

DSC01247.jpg

DSC01242.jpg

DSC01243.jpg

DSC01244.jpg

DSC01245.jpg

DSC01252.jpg

A few quick shot with the Pamily...
DSC01253.jpg

DSC01256.jpg

DSC01257.jpg

DSC01258.jpg

SuperSport

Horology Curious
1/7/09
I need me a cigarette. [smilie=love10.gif]

Good lookin'. Hope to feel your joy one day.

lan61t

Renowned Member
7/4/08
Goooood looking watch you have there, i cant stop looking at it :)

Mr.Majestyk

15/2/08
I have a question for ya'll....
If the dial is has the "vintaged-patina" look, then why not the hands...?
For me it would be annoying (not meant in any way to be disrrespectful)..... :mrgreen:
But that's me...
Just my thoughts....the work done looks AWESOME by the way!
M*M

D

d4m.test

Mr.Majestyk said:
I have a question for ya'll....
If the dial is has the "vintaged-patina" look, then why not the hands...?
For me it would be annoying (not meant in any way to be disrrespectful)..... :mrgreen:
But that's me...
Just my thoughts....the work done looks AWESOME by the way!
M*M

I often wonder that when aging a Rolex... It has always been my observation that typically hands and dials aged at the same rate. If the dial was discolored, or the markers had a patina, then so did the hands.
BUT, that is not the case with Panerai. On many occasions I have looked at pictures of vintage Pams that had aged dials and bright hands. Maybe I am wrong, but I think that would be caused by a factory service at some point where an owner asked for the hands to be replaced, but not the dial.
Maybe Im wrong, and I am actually very interested in an answer also...

And for the OP... DAMN man, that is one fine looking watch. And I LOVE (I am yelling, but the caps wont get bigger) the watch and strap combo!

hooligan

Mythical Poster
Advisor
24/6/06
Damn, that is about as perfect as the Panerai design team ever got it, yeah? That watch is 2nd on my dream list only to the Pre-V 5218-202/A. WELL DONE tutima and Ziggy! Beautiful.

The reason that the Pre-V/Pre-A style tritium dials from Panerai darken much more and much faster than the tritium hands is due to the lacquer that they coated the dials with after the lume was applied, I believe. That would explain the difference between the PAM dials and Rollie dials of the same vintage. But you're correct, CBR, non-matching hands/dial are commonplace with this era gen Panerai.

pcsam

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
22/3/09
love the strap , who did you get that from :wink:

tutima

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/06
Thanks guys for the kind words...

I believe hooli got it right...The reason for the orange/yellowish lume is partly the color of the old varnish on the dial while there is no varnish on the hands...

Strap is a small scale gator from SC...But how it comes to you is a draw of luck...This one comes in with some nice patina already on the strap...

Exploder

I'm Pretty Popular
23/3/08
Aaaargh! That is simply stunning Tutima, and I love that lume shot! The combination with that strap is really great. You should get rid of the PAM055, that white dialled fantasy doesn't really fit in with the rest of the family... :wink:

Xplodr

tutima

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/06
Exploder said:
Aaaargh! That is simply stunning Tutima, and I love that lume shot! The combination with that strap is really great. You should get rid of the PAM055, that white dialled fantasy doesn't really fit in with the rest of the family... :wink:

Xplodr

As you said, don't understand why Panerai doesn't make a white dial titanium while they are making all kinds of other combination of dials and cases...

But, just as you do, I kind of like that combination myself...Hehe... :wink:

DonBrizzel

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
10/8/09
Excuse me while I change my boxers!

That thing is gorgeous! And a perfect strap for it. Everything just works perfectly. I love it.

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Tutima, your collection is stunning. To a non-panerai collector like myself (keep the flames down, I have a tender underside. :wink: ) I can see why you do these mods. Comparing them to the gens, they are so close and I am sure you have a really hard time deciding what to wear. As for me, I do still believe that one day I will jump back in and get a good Panerai. Thanks for sharing Ziggy's work. He really is the best.

watchbuff

I'm Pretty Popular
13/2/07
Great looking piece. Nice collection. As far as calling zig a master, that's subjective. I think francisco's work blows his away. Vac, kent parks, flav, do better lume work IMO.
I had built a frankenjust and instead of constructive criticism and guidance , it was bashing and degradation. For that I stood up for myself and wanted to learn and improve. I helped another local rwg member with his project dj and both came out superb after some trial and error. After I defended myself Zig did the old " I'm out of the forum for a while" crap and many flocked to the so- called masters side and pleaded " don't go" . It was pretty comical.
Enough about that. The name conjers douche chills in me. The work is nice and I complement the owner on a sweet watch.ty

PESCADOR

Horology Curious
25/1/07
Sorry to burst your bubble........ but it is kinda crazy to put this much effort in to a fake if you ask me.

Yeah, it looks good but the dial manipulation is really obvious. A real aged dial would not have crisp , clean white type and markers!

And yes the hands should be aged too - to match the dial!

Further ...... when did they start making these PVD models...... would there be any apparent age to a real one by now anyway?

It makes more sense when they age a dial for a really old version with the pillow case!

Fiddo

-----
Gold Patron
Certified
16/2/09
In a Causal Loop
PESCADOR said:
Sorry to burst your bubble........ but it is kinda crazy to put this much effort in to a fake if you ask me.

Yeah, it looks good but the dial manipulation is really obvious. A real aged dial would not have crisp , clean white type and markers!

Further ...... when did they start making these PVD models...... would there be any apparent age to a real one by now anyway?

It makes more sense when they age a dial for a really old version with the pillow case!

1. Crazy? Everyone is entitled to their opinion, I guess.

2. Why wouldn't an aged dial not have crsip clean markers? The dial is protected by the crystal. The only significant damage it would recieve would be UV damage...which causes the dial varnish to yellow.

3. No, the hands do not have varnish on them like the dial. They will not age like the dial.
4. They started making the 009 (a PVD watch) probably in 1997.

hooligan

Mythical Poster
Advisor
24/6/06
PESCADOR, sorry to burst your bubble, but you're wrong about the dial and hands. Yes, the PVD would likely have some wear and tear, but a NOS PAM009 is not out of the question - there are lots of safe queens out there in the Paneristi community.

As to whether or not it's "worth it" to put this much effort into a rep, that's up to the individual, IMO.

tutima

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/06
PESCADOR said:

To each their own...I certainly respest your opinion...

For me, as long as I enjoy the process and excitement of amassing the best available parts and the final finished product, it worths the while...

polaris

27/11/08
Nice watch! Great CP and Awesome strap. Where did you get the strap from?

I like the PVD orange combo, but IMO dont like the lume much, I can see white borders? on the numerals, and shame the numerals are dim (even tho its a Tritium-look). Remind me of my rep lume. But then I know nothing about vintage and aged lume.

In the light looks great tho. That strap is a perfect match for the PVD. heh wasn't looking at another PAM, but now after those pics I am thinking maybe.

Thanks for sharing