• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Meet my incoming seconds @ 9 Daytona

mch2112

Renowned Member
24/3/12
California
Incoming from Trevor. He did a great job finding the dial I like (I don't know how many are available in seconds @ 9 but there are two others in his catalogue.)

Just cleared San Francisco customs!

f0b79d20.jpg

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
ATL
Lucky fella. Waiting from mine. On it's way to JFK.

believer123

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/10
Seconds @ 9 is a good alternative choice to the seconds @ 6... You can expect for it to work correctly (unlike my seconds @ 6).

Lelouch

I'm Pretty Popular
18/8/11
Cool! Nice find on the dial! I'm wearing my daytona sec @ 9 ATM and I g2 say Im loving it!

mch2112

Renowned Member
24/3/12
California
I have a feeling it will keep time quite well, at least after I regulate it. I've wanted a good running Daytona for some time, but the jittery seconds, periodic stopping and outright failures of the seconds @ six has been driving me crazy. Worse yet, I have this bad habit of wanting to "fix" these minor flaws and that just makes it worse.

I'd bet not one person in 1000 would recognize the difference in seconds at nine, and then you could always say its a zenith movement....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

justlounging

I'm Pretty Popular
14/10/10
hmm..there could be a loophole there OP..

for the zenith movement, it is for the 16520 models and those do not have rehaut engraving..

so you might want to remove the engravings..

mch2112

Renowned Member
24/3/12
California
hmm..there could be a loophole there OP..

for the zenith movement, it is for the 16520 models and those do not have rehaut engraving..

so you might want to remove the engravings..

Heh, if they know that much I've already lost, I'd just admit its a rep. :)

D

d4m.test

Beautiful watch; I have the cheap, A21j version of this & wear it occasionally because I like the dial. Good luck w/ yours. Looking forward to some pics once it's on your wrist.

dave

justlounging

I'm Pretty Popular
14/10/10
Heh, if they know that much I've already lost, I'd just admit its a rep. :)

Y not try removing the engraving?

it would make for a decent and quite accurate 16520.. :)

justlounging

I'm Pretty Popular
14/10/10
yeah..i'll be interested to know...

this has been the only thing eluding me now..if a gen dial would fit, that would be awesome..

i hate to fork out $10k for a gen..but i just might.. :(

jliu500

Horology Curious
20/5/12
I also got the same one on the way. I want to replace the crystal later with a nice sapphire one with the right rise height and beautiful clarity.

Beautiful watch; I have the cheap, A21j version of this & wear it occasionally because I like the dial. Good luck w/ yours. Looking forward to some pics once it's on your wrist.

dave

txrob779

Mythical Poster
Supporter
27/4/07
FIY the 16520 El Primero's sub dial spacing is way diffeent so, gen dial wont work.
The El Primero's subdial surrounds and design is way different too so what we have (and I have a sec@9 as well) is a 116520 sec @6 Daytona with the subdials inverted to make the a7750 function as designed, sec@9.
There is NO replica made to replicate the 16520 Zenith El Primero....unfortuantely cause if they did, I would be on it like a "chicken on a June bug".
Having said that, NO the dial of the OP's Daytona was not offered as an El Primero. Plus that dial is on a $25,000 WG Daytona anyway, not a SS version.

Enjoy the Daytona, I know myself and others rave about how bad ass our sec@9 Daytona's are....its a minor issue that SO FAR out weighs the failing more correct sec@6 thats it is a no brainer....enjoy it and wear it "loud and proud".

P.S. I do believe there are pics and some info about El Primero Daytona's in Rolex Forums: Yachtmaster & Daytona Wiki...

mch2112

Renowned Member
24/3/12
California
Thanks txrob!! Great info. It's due to arrive today, I'll get some pix up when it lands.

FIY the 16520 El Primero's sub dial spacing is way diffeent so, gen dial wont work.
The El Primero's subdial surrounds and design is way different too so what we have (and I have a sec@9 as well) is a 116520 sec @6 Daytona with the subdials inverted to make the a7750 function as designed, sec@9.
There is NO replica made to replicate the 16520 Zenith El Primero....unfortuantely cause if they did, I would be on it like a "chicken on a June bug".
Having said that, NO the dial of the OP's Daytona was not offered as an El Primero. Plus that dial is on a $25,000 WG Daytona anyway, not a SS version.

Enjoy the Daytona, I know myself and others rave about how bad ass our sec@9 Daytona's are....its a minor issue that SO FAR out weighs the failing more correct sec@6 thats it is a no brainer....enjoy it and wear it "loud and proud".

P.S. I do believe there are pics and some info about El Primero Daytona's in Rolex Forums: Yachtmaster & Daytona Wiki...

mch2112

Renowned Member
24/3/12
California
OK, initial observations of the Trevor seconds @ nine are as follows, I'll try for some photos later:

- Surprised that it wasn't 28800 bph, turned out to be only 21600
- About 25 sec / day fast, but should be easy to get better with regulation
- Near zero beat error
- Dial & hands look very good
- The clasp on the bracelet looks very nice on the outside but the inside has a strange cast appearance
- For the case, not quite as nice fit & finish as some of the sec @ nine cases I've seen, but looks like I could just put the movement & dial into one of those other cases (thinking about a PVD / Prohunter case I've got)
- The font on the bezel for "Units Per Hour" looks a bit off to me
- Sticker on case back says model 116509
- Since it's 21600 bph, the hands should be compatible with swiss ETA, which is an interesting thought...

Best part, shipped on the 3rd, arrived to me in CONUS on the 5th!