• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The Results of repainting GMTIIc Two tone Ceramic Bezel

anarmy

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/3/12
so, thanks to dmacnz thread : http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/two-tone-bezel-92767

I did this to my GMT bezel too.

this is previous pic of the old bezel with the "awwww" yellow color on marking.
IMG_0190.jpg

IMG_0191-1.jpg

ewww..:frusty:

so I read the Dmacnz thread about repainting this to a better color.

and this is the tools that i used in this project :
1. Gold Color Pylox Acrylic spray paint. this is used as the base color.
2. Mr. Color Leveling Thinner. this is used for mixing the paint, so the finished will be more glossy and "stands out"
3. Aerox Clear Spray as the clear spray for protection coating.
4. modelling brush.

bcb9a659.jpg

sorry for not showing pic of the process, for the proccess I already take more than 5 repainting because of the color and finished. I experiment a lot of gold and yellow color and some bottle of different thinner.

now, this is my step for achieving the results :
1. first of all, I need to take the old paint off. I used needle wor this job. it's so precision in my opinion.

2. after taking of all the paint, I rubbed it with a thinner to clean the surface.

3. spray the paint first in some kind of palette. I spray 3-4 times in a close range so it will make some liquids.
a3dc0def.jpg

4. mix it with the levelling thinner. (I only used 2-3 drop from regular straw), and mixed it properly.

3. start painting the marker. now, this is so important, I noticed it after the 4th try that i have to paint it 2-3 times to make the gold colors came out.
so, I start painting lightly layer per layer with 15minutes difference between painting for each layer..if somebody want to do this to, I recommend not to blot the marking in first layer, you can do it in the last layer.

4. let it dry for 1 hour.

5. remove the overpaint with the needle (don't worry, the ceramic bezel seems to be scratch proof enough).

6. remove the dirt from the overpaint, and wipe it gently with a cloth.

7. last step, spray the clear spray over the ceramic bezel, let it dry for 1-2 hour, and i'm done.

uupss..no, i'm lying, it's not finished yet. :p . i'm still waiting for the clear spray to dry :)

and this is some result (not dry yet)
50b70ff2.jpg

wohooo..gotta love that color :D

special thanks to dmacnz for his inspiring thread.

UPDATE :

here's the dry result (notice that the yellow comes out)
16efa6b6.jpg

noticed the ugly ceramic bezel in this photo?
51481454.jpg

that's because the clear spray coating.

and this is after few minutes of cleaning the ceramic to bring back the shine
d7abcfe1.jpg

dmacnz

27/9/10
Nice work, The thinner and the spray paint mixed ok? Like that idea!!

anarmy

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/3/12
That looks fantastic.
thank you too. can't wait for the clear spray to dry.

Looks really good mate :) great job!
thnaks, mate :)

IS this call Magic?
So great!
I myself still cannot believe it :biglaugh:

Nice work, The thinner and the spray paint mixed ok? Like that idea!!
thanks mate. yes. just look for a thinner that used for modelling/toy (gundam or tamiya), this thinner made the original gold color more yellow and shiny/glossy.(we need it for the "original" yellow color.

anyway, the clear spray made the ceramic bezel "bulky" because i sprayed all over the bezel. (so the clear spray is painted in the ceramic and marking).

when applied to a car, we have to rub it with sand paper after applied a coating.
is it safe to assumed that we can rub the ceramic with the sand paper?