• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

WTF! Watch running like a steamtrain!!

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Hey but we are having fun! Let us know how the slap and poke goes Rooster. :D

Exploder

I'm Pretty Popular
23/3/08
Sorry to be asking this, but English is not my mother tongue: Are rooster and cock synonyms?

Xplodr

rooster133

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/7/08
Exploder said:
Sorry to be asking this, but English is not my mother tongue: Are rooster and cock synonyms?

Xplodr

errrr... [smilie=icon_scratch.gif]

rooster133

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/7/08
Despite getting down and dirty with it, it's still running a few second fast every minute! :shock:

Guess I should just send it back right? I already have a parcel ready for Ruby with a busted Navitimer, so might as well throw this one in there too.

As Krusty the clown would say, "eeeurrrgghh booooy"...

Dewey Dog

19/6/08
Definitely now should be listed as "not work safe". I've already had two people peek into my office to find out what I'm giggling at. Shake it, slap it, blow it... What's next, take it to dinner?

owdeguy

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/2/08
Just send it off if its that wacky and you've been fiddling with the regulator. If you had timing equipment there might be hope to sort it out, but without that you'll never know where the beat error is at.

rooster133

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/7/08
owdeguy said:
you'll never know where the beat error is at.

Yeah it was a mistake having that beat. Should have just kept playing with the watch instead. :wink:

Actually, a serious question: why would the beat error be a concern? My understanding is that the watch could still be regulated and despite the beat error keep relatively accurate time. Or would the beat error start affecting timekeeping when the watch is held in different positions...? I guess my question is: why is the beat error such a frightening thing??

owdeguy

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/2/08
Positional regulation will most likely vary if you have alot of error. And without some type of timing equipment you're trying to fix things in the dark. So you'll get it timed out perfect face down, but crown up or down the beat error could induce different problems as gravity is now acting on the balance differently. So maybe your watch stops because the beat error is so large that it can't keep momentum going one way, or it starts losing or gaining time.

I recently had to re-regulate a watch that someone did it without a timing machine. The watch was within 3 seconds he said when it started running crazy and sounded funny to ear, like an old steam train. It had huge beat error and I had to eliminate it and then retime it in positions.

Without some type of timing equipment Its like trying to solve a 3 dimensional problem with only a one dimensional view. If you want you can keep trying, even a blind squirrel can get lucky and find a nut so good luck....

rooster133

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/7/08
Thanks for the clarification!

So the squirrel was slapping and shaking it so much that he eventually went blind? The poor bugger. And now he can't even see his nuts... Mmmhh... Sounds to me like a cautionary tale.

So I'm going to send this watch back to Ruby and be done with it. Haven't had much luck with reps these days...

Yannou

10/2/07
EU
I have similar issues with a B&R 03-92 with an Asian 2836 clone movement. Sometimes it's loosing one hour a day, sometimes stop after 2 hours...
So I think I will have to return it tp Angus...too bad

andreww

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/06
Yannou said:
I have similar issues with a B&R 03-92 with an Asian 2836 clone movement. Sometimes it's loosing one hour a day, sometimes stop after 2 hours...
So I think I will have to return it tp Angus...too bad

Yep, loosing large amounts of time is a different story than gaining time. It will need to be looked at by a watchsmith.