• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

WTF is this!

frigpig

Ghost of Sales Mod Past
Advisor
16/8/09
I'm getting sick of reputable companies ie. Ralph Lauren, DKNY, ect. basically repping watches.

But this takes the cake of strange attempt to copy some good ideas.

_5844195.jpg

B&R dial, no CG Pam case, breitling rubber strap, double pencil vintage Pam hands.

The only thing I can't place is that ugly ass second hand.

Dial

br03-92-web-bk-dial.jpg

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07
Macy's buyers need nice watches too yano!

jgm1944

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/8/11
...reputable companies ie. Ralph Lauren, DKNY, ect...

All these department store watches are made in China by Fossil. Fossil owns the licensing rights to these brand names when it comes to watches.

I don't see the problem, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I think you'll agree that not all of us can afford to spend tens of thousands of our hard earned discretionary income on watches.

Just my $0.02.

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
Not that I'd buy one, but ol' Ralphie is putting out some decent mechanical watches these days. Stupidly expensive, but not crap quartz watches either.

Priced close to eight grand in steel. Movement by Jaeger-LeCoultre:

imagePathrlr0230700watches_itemlevel_main.png

frigpig

Ghost of Sales Mod Past
Advisor
16/8/09
All these department store watches are made in China by Fossil. Fossil owns the licensing rights to these brand names when it comes to watches.

I don't see the problem, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I think you'll agree that not all of us can afford to spend tens of thousands of our hard earned discretionary income on watches.

Just my $0.02.

Alright, you win the logic argument.

It still pisses me off when I see these in a glass case.

boostin20

Put Some Respect On My Name
8/9/10
USA
I agree with frigpig in the fact that I hate seeing them in dept stores. I understand why though.

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
Perhaps we've reached a point in Horological history where everything that can be done has been done. It's extremely rare that a truly unique watch is released anymore. Everything is a copy of something else, or an amalgam of many previous designs.
Some are just more blatant than others.

frigpig

Ghost of Sales Mod Past
Advisor
16/8/09
Perhaps we've reached a point in Horological history where everything that can be done has been done. It's extremely rare that a truly unique watch is released anymore. Everything is a copy of something else, or an amalgam of many previous designs.
Some are just more blatant than others.

Sorry Roger, this has been said about everything from cars to music. I have faith we will always see new and fresh ideas for a long time in the watch game. The stuff coming out today is so ground breaking and unique it pains me to see these ripoffs. If these were a total copy, I'd be ok with it, it's the ripoff of several different watches that makes me mad. I think they think the general population won't see it.....and they don't.

mbjoer

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/09
Not that I'd buy one, but ol' Ralphie is putting out some decent mechanical watches these days. Stupidly expensive, but not crap quartz watches either.

And they look pretty good too.
If a decent rep existed I would be interested.

thedoover

Snow Monkey Ambassador
Supporter
Certified
15/6/10
Looks a bit like a Calibre de Cartier - very nice. Not $8000 nice, like so many gen watches...