• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Would you accept this substitute speedmaster from a dealer?

Fortey

21/7/10
WatchEden got back to me about an order for a quartz Speedmaster I placed, they said the dial is different and asked if I'm ok with that.

Now I'd really rather not debate whether or not I should get quartz, but would you accept these subdials? I'm not the biggest Speedmaster expert but I haven't seen this layout before.

This is the one they have to send:

79172931.jpg

and this is the one pictured on the site:

1.jpg

I don't think that's the exact piece they have to send I hope with the crooked bezel and second hand but before worrying about that I have to decide if I'm ok with that layout.

After a few buys where something changes every time I'm getting a little burned out, do you guys who are more knowledgeable than me have an opinion on this?

edit- by crooked I guess looking at it now the whole face and bezel and second hand look off to the left on both, or am I crazy?

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Nope, if it's not what you want, ask for a refund.
Mind you, at least they told you. Much better than getting that in the mail.
That is one weird sub dial set!

Col

MrYesterday

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/10
Itinerant
Yeah, if you reluctantly agree to take the substitute after grueling over your initial choice you will never feel quite right about it. I'm sure you can find the one you want somewhere.

Fortey

21/7/10
Thanks very much, I asked them to refund the money. I think you were right, that would have annoyed me as long as I had the watch.

I thanked them for pointing out the difference and asked how they prefer to refund money. I used TTpay to send it, so I'm sure there has to be a different way to get it back.

You guys rule, I love this place.

Five of Clubs

Renowned Member
18/2/10
I think you made a good choice. That 8-16-24 subdial is just a little too weird. Good for WE for mentioning it!

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
Yeah you were right to refuse it, I know its a cheap watch but no point just accepting anything. The question is...what the hell have they done with the subdials, I'm wondering if they're trying to fob off customers with leftover dodgy dialed overstock? Tell em to email you when they have the correct version in stock

On a positive note in relation to Watcheden....at least they contacted you to ask/inform about the differences. There was a time when you would've received the dodgy dialed version and then you would've had to go to the bother of sending back/sorting it yourself, so happy here to see they are improving in that sense!

On a side note, the bezel crooked 500, 400, 350 has always been an issue...even with the higher priced lemania clone version, so that is correct in this regard. There is another version of the cheaper quartz or seagull version which has the tachymetre with no accent over the 'e' which has straight numbers but the printing of the numbers and font of the numbers is awful. So in that regard you are better off with the accented version and the crooked 500 etc.

I always said with the moon rep its similar to a case of would you prefer to be shot or poisoned! Either choice has its problems! One version corrects some inaccuracies but introduces more inaccuracies....viscious circle unfortunately! I actually think the proper quartz version that you pictured above is an excellent compromise for a cheap price. Thats if you're willing to put up with the small secs ticking and you may need polish the end lugs if you want to wear it on a strap etc.

We're all still waiting for a bloody good speedymoon :) get on with it factories! Now that they have a modded subdial a7750 for the PO chronos we might get it but wouldn't hold my breath!

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
Kudos to WE for letting you know! This is another reason they are considered a trusted dealer here.

Now, this is what you do. Forget about the money refunded. POOF! It's gone. Now start saving your pennies for a better grade version. Before you know it, you'll have it all together (as you suddenly remember that refund) and you'll have spent your money more wisely. :)

amptor

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
1/5/07
I was suckered into buying a watch from this place when it was called watchebay by a member on this board in PM before it was a trusted site. I don't think I'd make that mistake again. The watches they sell always have some flaws I don't like.

Fortey

21/7/10
I made sure to tell several times them I appreciated that they informed me of the difference in advance, hopefully they'll keep up that habit.

No refund had shown up in my account, so I wrote to ask them about it and they said it can take 2-3 weeks which seems a little odd, it's not like they have to mail it to my credit card account :)

Glad to hear there's a modded 7750 coming, but I still don't know if I'd get it, personally. Last time I checked it seemed the consensus was that 7750s should be serviced right away, and factoring that into the price ends up way more than I want to spend. One of these days, perhaps.

Thanks again for the input.

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
I'd imagine they'd take a few weeks to get round to administering the refund...I'd say you'll get it alright....In time...keep us posted.
I kind of agree with you on the modded A7750 version It may end up more visually accurate than those now but what kind of reliablity does the A7750 bring....as you say it can be a lottery with those.

Also one of the posters above seems to have missed my point earlier about rep moonys and the shot or poisoned comment :D! There are NO really good reps of the moony, never has been a really accurate rep......doesn't matter what you pay! Even if you save up and go for the dearer version you will end up with a slightly better finish, nice handwould seagull but more visually inaccurate rep than the cheap quartz...!!!!!!!!!!

TBH the moony is such a great watch it is worth trying hard to acquire a 2nd user gen, even though the popularly of the watch lately is pushing even the 2nd user prices up....In any case the resell value of a gen moony alone is worth it to try the gen. Reps can never match that!

Also I'd agree, Watcheden can be very hit and miss...they may be a trusted dealer but they have made plenty of mistakes and absolutely no qc means that they have been dropped from other forums in the past.......you really have to decide based on your OWN trusted dealers in this rep game. I do like the large selection on watcheden dont get me wrong but theres lots of absolute crap....and they're higher priced ETA/A7750 stuff is overpriced compared to competitors! There are a few odd gems in the lower priced stuff though.