• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Worth the $200 difference?

kyubi78

You're Saying I Can Sell?
4/6/10
So I had my heart set on a BR03 phantom but it doesn't look like I'm going to get one with the true phantom markings. So I was gonna get one and then mod it until I saw this crazy a$$ piece from AP. I looked around and its like $600+. Found it for cheaper but it looks different. Some advice, help, comments?

http://www.marvellousreplica.com/Product_Detail.aspx?ProductID=200910021732 VS http://puretimewatch.com/product/royal-oak-offshore-ultimate-survivor-limited-edition-11/

I see some the the visual differences and of course I like the $650 one more but they seem to have the same movement so I'm assuming they both will keep time exactly the same?

ThreadLocker

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
17/12/07
The AP is a much cooler and genuinely more expensive watch.....if you want to impress people, there is no comparison......that being said, I have never been a fan of B&R...so take it for what it is worth....I would forget about the phantom.....as for the differences in the versions.....I always go for the most accurate one.....hate looking at obvious flaws.....I would buy the more expensive version.

deloreandmc

I'm Pretty Popular
23/10/09
So I had my heart set on a BR03 phantom but it doesn't look like I'm going to get one with the true phantom markings. So I was gonna get one and then mod it until I saw this crazy a$$ piece from AP. I looked around and its like $600+. Found it for cheaper but it looks different. Some advice, help, comments?

http://www.marvellousreplica.com/Product_Detail.aspx?ProductID=200910021732 VS http://puretimewatch.com/product/royal-oak-offshore-ultimate-survivor-limited-edition-11/

I see some the the visual differences and of course I like the $650 one more but they seem to have the same movement so I'm assuming they both will keep time exactly the same?

Prepare to read a bit

Movement: Yes, The same, One may be updated though, for improved reliability, BUT the more expensive one, has a transfer plate, to move the small seconds hand from 9 to 12, generally, these are less reliable, ALOT less reliable, but you can get jewels put in them, or have a graphite treatment done, or even sometimes they are just assembled wrong

(Note: A link on how to fix the assembly, and/or give it a graphite treatment will be put below)

Buckle And Strap: The strap on the More expensive one is more accurate, and the buckle is ALOT more accurate

Dial: The more expensive one has correct Subdials, where as the less expensive one has stick markers instead of numbers

The Dial's waffle patern is more accurate on the less expensive one, may be caused by light source, it is very minor

The Hour Markers on the more expensive one are more accurate

Bezel: Both bezels look correct from what I can tell

Hands: on the expensive one the hands are more accurate in how much they are polished, a little more matte on the expensive one

Case, And Caseback: The caseback on the more expensive one has the correctly coloured Matte SS ring

Dimensions: Perfect Dimensions on the more expensive one, 2mm too big on the less expensive one

and the verdict, you are only paying for more detail, its your choice weather you want to pay the extra $200 for those things, but if it were me, I would go for the more expensive one:proud:

hope I helped!

kyubi78

4/6/10
...if you want to impress people, there is no comparison......that being said, I have never been a fan of B&R...

Oh I don't care about impressing ppl. I want this watch cuz it's just crazy looking and sorry for the miscommunication, I wanted to know the difference between the two "same" models with two different sellers and the differences between those two and not comparing the B&R. I was just giving a little back-story of what I was lookin at previously.

Prepare to read a bit

Movement: Yes, The same, One may be updated though, for improved reliability, BUT the more expensive one, has a transfer plate, to move the small seconds hand from 9 to 12, generally, these are less reliable, ALOT less reliable, but you can get jewels put in them, or have a graphite treatment done, or even sometimes they are just assembled wrong

(Note: A link on how to fix the assembly, and/or give it a graphite treatment will be put below)

Buckle And Strap: The strap on the More expensive one is more accurate, and the buckle is ALOT more accurate

Dial: The more expensive one has correct Subdials, where as the less expensive one has stick markers instead of numbers

The Dial's waffle patern is more accurate on the less expensive one, may be caused by light source, it is very minor

The Hour Markers on the more expensive one are more accurate

Bezel: Both bezels look correct from what I can tell

Hands: on the expensive one the hands are more accurate in how much they are polished, a little more matte on the expensive one

Case, And Caseback: The caseback on the more expensive one has the correctly coloured Matte SS ring

Dimensions: Perfect Dimensions on the more expensive one, 2mm too big on the less expensive one

and the verdict, you are only paying for more detail, its your choice weather you want to pay the extra $200 for those things, but if it were me, I would go for the more expensive one:proud:

hope I helped!

So you are saying the more expensive one is "less reliable" but I have more of a opportunity to make this one better? And if I got the cheaper one, I would be kinda stuck, so to speak?

Also can you post that fix link?

Dammit, now I'm potentially spending 3 times as much as I wanted but...

deloreandmc

I'm Pretty Popular
23/10/09
Oh I don't care about impressing ppl. I want this watch cuz it's just crazy looking and sorry for the miscommunication, I wanted to know the difference between the two "same" models with two different sellers and the differences between those two and not comparing the B&R. I was just giving a little back-story of what I was lookin at previously.

So you are saying the more expensive one is "less reliable" but I have more of a opportunity to make this one better than the cheaper one?

Also can you post that fix link?

DAMN, forgot the links SORRY!

you can either does these mods yourself, or send it in to francisco for it to be done by him

here they are

(Note: I would Sudgest Reading in order)

http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/close-inspection-mechanism-ap-seconds-29686

http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/improving-reliability-ap-seconds-12-51048

http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/...ation-for-resuscitating-seconds-25973?t=25973

there, any other questions feel free to ask

ThreadLocker

Banned
17/12/07
All reps are a crap shoot with respect to reliability.....even the most basic models can arrive DOA or croak after a day or two....however, some have a higher rate of problems.....these facts are well documented.....however, I have never allowed that to keep me from buying a watch that I like. I personally have never had a rep die on me and have only received one DOA, which was replaced. If you like the watch, buy it.....and buy in at the level of detail that suits your personality......good luck

deloreandmc

I'm Pretty Popular
23/10/09
Oh I don't care about impressing ppl....

never noticed that, well I guess it depends on this, do exactly what guru did with his black themes, and hes I scurrently doing with his RB, and spend over $1000 for a dream rep, or just do the simple stuff for the sec@12, or just get the undetailed sec@9 version

EDIT: those arent emails

kyubi78

4/6/10
never noticed that, well I guess it depends on this, do exactly what guru did with his black themes, and hes I scurrently doing with his RB, and spend over $1000 for a dream rep, or just do the simple stuff for the sec@12, or just get the undetailed sec@9 version

EDIT: those arent emails

The simple stuff you are mentioning, are those the links you posted? If I were to send this watch in for the simple stuff, how much do you think it would cost approximately?

jiddy

Renowned Member
15/4/10

Thing is, you wont regret it.
And all the things Delorian said really start to make a difference after a while and you will sooner or later either regret that you didn´t save up and go for the more expensive one or if you get the more expensive one, start modding it to perfection :)

That´s the fun part with this hobby, you can get an awesome watch quite "cheap" and as time goes by refine you watch with various mods.
Just be sure you love it and it´s a true keeper and THEN invest in mods.

This forum is a great place for information, so read a lot and you will learn a lot.
So many friendly people here that really want to help, it really makes it a lot easier :)

In the end just pick the watch that will suit both taste and wallet!

/Jiddy

kyubi78

4/6/10
Thing is, you wont regret it.
And all the things Delorian said really start to make a difference after a while and you will sooner or later either regret that you didn´t save up and go for the more expensive one or if you get the more expensive one, start modding it to perfection :)

That´s the fun part with this hobby, you can get an awesome watch quite "cheap" and as time goes by refine you watch with various mods.
Just be sure you love it and it´s a true keeper and THEN invest in mods.

This forum is a great place for information, so read a lot and you will learn a lot.
So many friendly people here that really want to help, it really makes it a lot easier :)

In the end just pick the watch that will suit both taste and wallet!

/Jiddy

Excellent point and I do see the value in it. I am a tech geek by nature (and by profession) and so I know what happens when you cut the corners. Usually though, if I need to cut corners I know where to cut them and its of little difference in the long run. I just don't wanna drop the $400 now and then later on be stuck with this $400 piece when I could have done so much more with the $600 (if I even do anything with it).

I see that I could get sucked into this work VERY easily. So would the $600 be a better choice also if I make this an everyday-wearing watch?

ThreadLocker

Banned
17/12/07
Do you want it to look more like the original? If so, spend the extra coin.....if not, buy the cheaper one. If you are happy with the look of the cheaper one, save the extra 2 bills.

Personally, I would buy the better one, but I am not you....you have to decide what you want and what you like.....good luck

kyubi78

4/6/10
OK so after reading the links Del sent me, I kinda understand a little bit more. But just a little more. Essentially Francisco is saying that the seconds @12 (more expensive) model is unreliable without some help. So if I go with the seconds @ 9 (less expensive) model, I'm better off wearing this watch everyday?

I don't wanna drop $600+ and not be able to wear the dam thing everyday. That makes no sense to me.

deloreandmc

I'm Pretty Popular
23/10/09
OK so after reading the links Del sent me, I kinda understand a little bit more. But just a little more. Essentially Francisco is saying that the seconds @12 (more expensive) model is unreliable without some help. So if I go with the seconds @ 9 (less expensive) model, I'm better off wearing this watch everyday?

I don't wanna drop $600+ and not be able to wear the dam thing everyday. That makes no sense to me.

then simply dont do it, go for the sec @9 version, you would need to do what guru did with his black themes to make it an everyday wearer, and that can get in excess of $1000!!!

DonDadda

Horology Curious
1/6/10
I just bought the AP Surviovor My self (aka "the expensive one" in this thread) I will see how good it is and hopefully if its not DOA I'll send it for service in a month or 2. I will tell you this. It will be my 5th AP sec@12. I have not had any problems with the sec@12 except the first 2 that I got were basically DOA. But that was when the sec@12 first came out on the rep scene back in 2008. Now the sec@12 movt seem to have improved alot since then. The 3rd one I got was not serviced and I wore it for about 9months as a daily wear watch without any problems ever. Then I got the 4th one which I just sold and it was supposedly serviced by the rep dealer (Angus at Puretime) and It also ran perfectly and I wore it daily. Based on my own experiences I decided to take a dive and order the Survior at $658 bucks and it will be my daily wearer. So imo if you like it enough I would get the Survivor don't get too caught up in the reliability problems it can be taken care of easily anyway.

kyubi78

4/6/10
Yes, don please keep me updated. I'd like to know what you think of it and where you got it as well. I don't want any other model except this "best" version and I'd like to hear some first hand experience of someone that owns this particular watch.

deloreandmc

I'm Pretty Popular
23/10/09
Yes, don please keep me updated. I'd like to know what you think of it and where you got it as well. I don't want any other model except this "best" version and I'd like to hear some first hand experience of someone that owns this particular watch.

hont is offering it for $528, another hundred to go, and its standard AP price!

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
Dude.... them little scrawny arms of yours are too small for that man sized watch! :p

OK, the answer to your question is simple. If you're going to buy something, you have to love it. The more it costs, the more you have to love it. With that said, if you're going to spend this kind of money, it better be right. Accurate and reliable. If spending MORE money to make it reliable, on top of....................... ack! Don't purchase either one. Too much money to get it to where it's supposed to be, then it'll sit in a drawer because it's funky looking, then you'll sell it at a loss. Problem solved.

(I just looked one year into the future, and I can safely say now: I told you so.) :p

kyubi78

4/6/10
Yup, and also looking into the future I can safely say: Dammit, I should have listened.