• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Why nobody mentioned the hogged glass of Omega

Collin Raye

Horology Curious
26/5/10
Hi all,

I mailed a trusted dealer making enquiry about the glass of Omega (Speedy, SM). I wonder if it is FLAT or HOGGED.

The reply came today, confirming that the glass is HOGGED, not FLAT.

I haven't seen a lot of genuin Omega but those that I saw all have the FLAT glass.

If all the gens have FLAT glass, then what is the meaning of buying the HOGGED ones? Even a person standing on the moon can tell the thing on your wrist is a REP!

I read By-Tor's review of Omega. He didn't mention the glass at all. Maybe I am wrong. Maybe all the gens have HOGGED glass?

robbnj

11/6/09
Gen Speedmaster moons have domed ('haven't heard the term "hogged" before) Hesalite (plastic) crystals.
Sapphire crystals are also available; they tend to be less domed, but still have a curved edge (as opposed to an angular cut like you'd often see on a mineral glass one).

Anyone wearing a Speedy on the moon will have the Hesalite crystal. These are mandatory as the plastic will only crack, not shatter like sapphire.
No astronaut wants a bunch of little sharp chunks of ANYTHING floating around the capsule...

jmd33

I'm Pretty Popular
12/3/09
Gen Speedmaster moons have domed ('haven't heard the term "hogged" before) Hesalite (plastic) crystals.
Sapphire crystals are also available; they tend to be less domed, but still have a curved edge (as opposed to an angular cut like you'd often see on a mineral glass one).

Anyone wearing a Speedy on the moon will have the Hesalite crystal. These are mandatory as the plastic will only crack, not shatter like sapphire.
No astronaut wants a bunch of little sharp chunks of ANYTHING floating around the capsule...

+1

I think the rep Omega dive watches are also sometimes more domed than the gens so that the reps with mineral crystals don't have any "coke bottle" effect. I could be wrong about that, but when I compare them side by side to the gen and older reps it seems that way to me.

I have come to the conclusion that whoever is designing these reps actually puts more thought into the asthetics than I originally thought. For example, a common complaint on the rep Omega 2254 os that the indicies are a little too green (the gen is more white) - but the gen actually "greens" up after only a few seconds in the sunlight. So in reality, if the rep matched the gen out of the box (more white before charged), then it would be very easy to spot the fake after wearing it on your wrist for a few minutes because the indicies would now be too white.

Just MHO.

[Edit: Of course that still doesn't explain why they don't the f'n He valve right!?!?!?!]

robbnj

11/6/09
If only they DID pay attention, but I think it's more an issue of using whatever is available.

Example: three moon reps I've seen have:
different crown heights & types (pressure versus screw-down);
different clasps (engraved versus laser-etched);
different bezels (like old gens without accent over "e" or like new gens with accent over "e";
different letter spacing on caseback (NASAFORALL versus NASA FOR ALL);
different bracelet construction (split pins versus pin & tube combo);
different crystals (domed versus beveled edge versus beveled/rounded edge).

That makes for a LOT of possible combinations for just one model of watch (not to mention the movement choices of 21j, quartz, and working mechanical chrono (not sure if it's Lemania copy or what)).

LHOOQ

I'm Pretty Popular
4/4/09
Hogged?? :thinking:
Ye olde Wikipedia sayeth: "Hogging is the stress a ship's hull or keel experiences that causes the center of the keel to bend upward."

or

"Hogging refers to the practice of groups of men who target overweight or obese women, typically for sexual encounters."