• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Which RM to buy? RM35-02? KVF or ZF?

miro10

Horology Curious
26/2/21
Hey!
I've been debating for a long time whether buy the RM32-02 (or the 55) or not just because of the exterior design.
My problem with ZF design is 2 things that I noticed (V4):
1. There isn't a gap in the lower text (swiss made) like in gens (and V3).
2. The "RM35-05 RAFA" tag is too small.

_dsc6455.jpg

So I found the same model but produces by KVF:

rm2019113008-02.jpg

And I want to consult with you, isn't it a way better?
I know that is it not 1:1 but I'll feel the different with those 1.5-2mm?

The second topic i want to ask about is the RM-55.
My prob with this rep (zf) is this piece of iron (?) on the back:

Screenshot-2021-11-11-200649.png

And same as the 35-02, isn't the brand of KVF better?
Do you have any RM rep that you recommend?

Thanks!!

GiantSquid

Renowned Member
18/9/19
miro10 you're missing the forest for the trees. KVF case is very far from gen size and shape, while ZF's is pretty much gen spec and materials. As for the deco question in the third image, you've compared a 35 and a 55, which have different deco and thus look different. If you look at the ZF in the first image, it's much more similar to the middle image because that's the same watch, while the bottom image is a totally different watch.

Bottom line is ZF are the better buy, but get whatever you want.

miro10

Horology Curious
26/2/21
miro10 you're missing the forest for the trees. KVF case is very far from gen size and shape, while ZF's is pretty much gen spec and materials. As for the deco question in the third image, you've compared a 35 and a 55, which have different deco and thus look different. If you look at the ZF in the first image, it's much more similar to the middle image because that's the same watch, while the bottom image is a totally different watch.

Bottom line is ZF are the better buy, but get whatever you want.

Hey, thanks for your reply!
So I think I'll wait for the V5. I don't want to purchase the V3 bcs of movement problem as I read here and V4 bcs of the decorations.
About the RM 55 - I know that it is different model, but also In a rm55 gen there isn't this decoratdecoration.
Am I wrong?

HPoirot

31/3/11
bout the RM 55 - I know that it is different model, but also In a rm55 gen there isn't this decoratdecoration.
Am I wrong?

No, you are absolutely correct.

The gen doesn't have this part because all the parts of the movement are joined by the skeleton bridges.

The rep (and i suspect all future reps) consist of a non functional deco of the rm55 movement, superimposed on a functional movement. That 'decoratdecoration' is actually the base movement of the rep.

I don't see rep factories fully skeletonizing the movement anytime soon, at least not economically.

Last edited:

Nono92

I'm Pretty Popular
24/11/21
Hello,
How can we find now 6t28 in RM whereas the production has been stopped in 2019 ?

Nono92

I'm Pretty Popular
24/11/21
Do you know why it is so difficult to put a 7750 movement in a very thick case of 16 mm ? KVF didn't succeed because all their RM011 is 18 mm thick... It's a pity.

GiantSquid

Renowned Member
18/9/19
Do you know why it is so difficult to put a 7750 movement in a very thick case of 16 mm ? KVF didn't succeed because all their RM011 is 18 mm thick... It's a pity.

You can, the old KVFs (with the regular big date font) were like 16.5mm, but I think the skeleton datewheel adds another layer which beefs it up. I don't know if anyone has tried thinning one with a 7750 in it but there isn't that much space to play with because of all the deco layers.

Bombardier

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
12/11/20
They all are pretty much the same bro, they eventually put a good case together on both 35 and 55 but movement overall are the same, pieces of blocks put on top of each other nothing else, the game is different on RMs, they have got exposed movements, unless it’s been cloned, which every rm fan on the forum is waiting for, it will not make a big difference so if you believe you don’t want to wait for the clone release, go for whichever you like, ZF V4 has the best case by the way if you happen to fo for the 35, I haven’t been following what’s happening with the 55s recently but the story is the same, it’s a clone movement we all need.

Reactions: Nono92

GiantSquid

Renowned Member
18/9/19
Do you mean some wheels or other elements are not used ?

The newer KVFs have a fully skeletonized datewheel, while the older ones just used a more traditional printed datewheel. The skeletonized one adds extra thickness, as it needs a white backing plate anyways, which when added to the rest of the watch makes it too thick to fit in a 16mm case, necessitating the use of an 18-19mm case. The older ones traded accuracy for more correct size, while the new ones go for accuracy first because they're guessing that few people are going to notice a 2mm difference in an already gigantic watch.

Nono92

I'm Pretty Popular
24/11/21
OK, thank you. So the best is to wait for a clone movement... Do you have an idea of when it could be available ?

GiantSquid

Renowned Member
18/9/19
OK, thank you. So the best is to wait for a clone movement... Do you have an idea of when it could be available ?

No one that I know of is planning to clone an RM11 movement. There's supposedly a 35/55 clone in the works (as has been posted about extensively on this board) but there's no timeline or really anything known beyond the fact that it exists in some form somewhere.

Nono92

I'm Pretty Popular
24/11/21
No one that I know of is planning to clone an RM11 movement. There's supposedly a 35/55 clone in the works (as has been posted about extensively on this board) but there's no timeline or really anything known beyond the fact that it exists in some form somewhere.
We are at the same point with AP : the are only clones for the Royal Oak but it is still a 7750 for the chronographs...