• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Which is better Sapphire or Mineral Crystal?

ostatecowboy67

Known Member
28/7/10
I'm trying to decide on my next couple of reps, and I would greatly appreciate any input. I am looking specifically at Omega Seamaster, Omega Speedmaster and Omega Planet Ocean. I know which style I like, as well as the movement, but what about the crystal? I have found the prices vary from almost nothing to quite a bit between the two.

Which is better as far as longevity, avoiding scratches, etc? Is there really any difference between the two, or is it a "you get what you pay for?" Right now I have an Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 from WBK, with Sapphire Crystal, and it has been everything I could want in a gen, let alone it is a rep. Seriously, I have hit it on things, done the typical desk diving for things, and there still is not a mark on the case, band or crystal.

Thanks in advance, Brian (ostatecowboy67)

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
Sapphire is MUCH more scratch resistant and is used in almost all good quality watches. Mineral glass is whats used in the windows in your house. It can be coated with a hardened surface but it still scratches much easier than sapphire.

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
Sapphire is much more scratch resistant and is what comes on nearly all nice gen watches.
Often rep watches which come with mineral are lower-end models which also come with cheaper movements, hands, dials, cases, etc. But not always.
Make sure you are comparing more than just the crystal when comparing model choices.

ostatecowboy67

Known Member
28/7/10
Thanks guys. In this case I am looking at all Asian 21J movements if I get an automatic, but all have mineral crystal. Stan has another Speedmaster with a white face that is a quartz, but it has the sapphire crystal. I have really enjoyed the quartz movement and not having to win my gen Seamaster every morning, but at times I miss that sweeping second hand. I appreciate it.

amptor

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
1/5/07
Thanks guys. In this case I am looking at all Asian 21J movements if I get an automatic, but all have mineral crystal. Stan has another Speedmaster with a white face that is a quartz, but it has the sapphire crystal. I have really enjoyed the quartz movement and not having to win my gen Seamaster every morning, but at times I miss that sweeping second hand. I appreciate it.

I have purchased 21J before for well under 100 bucks with sapphire.

I like quartz also and found the perfect one for me recently. it is nice not having to wind and set the time. I'm just picky on the brand for quartz is all :) omega smp 300m quartz is a neat watch imho. but I don't have one of those..

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
I've actually heard lots of people saying they like mineral galss more than sapphire.

They say that sapphire is indeed more scratch resistant, but not fully scratch resistant, so eventually your crystal will end up scratched one day, sapphire or not. And if your crystal is scratched, you need to either polish or replace it. Polishing a mineral crystal is way more easy, and replacing it is way cheaper.

Even though I prefer sapphire crystals, this is a valid analysys, so in the end I guess it's a matter of personnal taste.

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
I've actually heard lots of people saying they like mineral galss more than sapphire.

They say that sapphire is indeed more scratch resistant, but not fully scratch resistant, so eventually your crystal will end up scratched one day, sapphire or not. And if your crystal is scratched, you need to either polish or replace it. Polishing a mineral crystal is way more easy, and replacing it is way cheaper.

Even though I prefer sapphire crystals, this is a valid analysys, so in the end I guess it's a matter of personnal taste.

Well, I like plexi even better. Not only is it much easier to get scratches out of, but it also won't shatter and put pieces of glass inside your watch case. :lol:

Actually I've never been able to scratch a real sapphire crystal. I had a gen Datejust for close to 20 years worn every day 24/7 and never put a scratch on the crystal. I've never even seen a sapphire crystal with a scratch.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Another point to remember is that if you have AR applied at some time in the future it's looks a lot better on sapphire than mineral. Mineral will always have a tint, usually blue or yellow when coated.

Col.

ostatecowboy67

Known Member
28/7/10
I have purchased 21J before for well under 100 bucks with sapphire.

I like quartz also and found the perfect one for me recently. it is nice not having to wind and set the time. I'm just picky on the brand for quartz is all :) omega smp 300m quartz is a neat watch imho. but I don't have one of those..

Agree 1000+ amptor. I would love to find an Omega SMP 300M in a quartz, but I have yet to find one either. If anyone has info. on one I would really appreciate it. And, thanks Col. I did not know that, but for future use that is extremely important.

Meta4

Renowned Member
26/4/09
Agree 1000+ amptor. I would love to find an Omega SMP 300M in a quartz, but I have yet to find one either. If anyone has info. on one I would really appreciate it.

There aren't any SMP reps in quartz but Omega make fine gen quartz watches and you can pick up a used one for a very reasonable price ... there's one in the gen sales section right now and there are always plenty on the bay and other online sales fora.

You just have to make sure you know what size you're buying as they came in mid (36mm) and full (42mm) sizes.

The quality is superb and the price can be less than what some members are paying for top drawer reps.