• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Which color is the dial of the planet ocean?!

TheCold

15/8/09
I do not know if its just me or someone else that is wondering what the color of the planet ocean dial is. My dial which is a rep dial looks really black and more grey matte when contact with light in certain angles. On other pictures I've seen on frankens the dial looks black.

But if you look at the watch on omegas official site they will show you a planet ocean with a grey matte dial
22015100-20.png

and one with an all black dial

22015000-20.png

Im just trying to figure out if my dial has the wrong color, or the dial really can take shape in the colors black and matte grey? Or maybe the color has changed over the years?? Any help here to clear my confusion would be very grateful! :D

correctime

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
28/5/11
I've had the dials pulled on the current 5th generation 42mm PO's. Gray matte would be a more accurate description...to me anyway.
I'm not sure about the history of the PO's over the years...perhaps it's the lighting, perhaps a different hue of AR coating on the crystal or perhaps they have experienced subtle changes in dial color shades over the years. Good question.

TheCold

15/8/09
because when taking a picture of something that is grey matte, it will come out more as black on a picture(at least when I tried) and when seeing the grey-matte on the omega official website I was confused, but thanks for you clarification looks like Im not the only one seeing it as a grayish-matte dial :)

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Well the color of the gen dial is black, just black...

This is how it looks when a little light (not straight) hits on it

DSC02426.jpg

And this how it looks when sun hits straight on it

DSC01560.jpg

In some angels you can see a glossy thing sparkle on it, i havent not a shot to show you, but damn its amazing! I will try to take one tomorrow. This is effect isnt appearing on the rep one...

But no grey or something like that as far as i can see...

Om3ga_guy

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/12/10
Canada
Completely different topic:

Note the stepped (aka bevelled) date window as well. Not something you see on all the reps either...

TheCold

15/8/09
Well the color of the gen dial is black, just black...

This is how it looks when a little light (not straight) hits on it

DSC02426.jpg

And this how it looks when sun hits straight on it

DSC01560.jpg

In some angels you can see a glossy thing sparkle on it, i havent not a shot to show you, but damn its amazing! I will try to take one tomorrow. This is effect isnt appearing on the rep one...

But no grey or something like that as far as i can see...

Yeah that looks black to me, strange that it comes out as gray on the omega website! Ive heard that the rep dial has another "finish" than the gen dial. I do not like the dial when it comes out as grayish I think it looks weird. Do you think it could have something to do with the goldish tinted AR I have or it's just that the rep and gen dial has a big difference?

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Yeah that looks black to me, strange that it comes out as gray on the omega website! Ive heard that the rep dial has another "finish" than the gen dial. I do not like the dial when it comes out as grayish I think it looks weird. Do you think it could have something to do with the goldish tinted AR I have or it's just that the rep and gen dial has a big difference?

Hmmm, i think its a combination of the rep dial color and the ar...
I am sure as you say the finish on the rep is different.
Here are some photos of the rep dial and rep ar when i got it.

12052011894.jpg

4-7.jpg

3-7.jpg

I can say it looks a little grey, doesn't it?

Gen ar is like invisible, you can have a very good look at the dial color and so far i can tell you all i can see is total black, but i will check tomorrow and come back 100% sure...

TheCold

15/8/09
because the AR I have right now is almost invisible only "goldish" in very limited angles. But if I take a close up pic of the dial it looks grayish and I find it quite odd that images of gen planet oceans on the web do to! I can't figure out why the frankness on this forum looks better and more black than pictures of gen PO's :p

omega-planet-ocean-sas.jpg

looks gray to me!

and thanks for all the help Pap!

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
Gen dials are dark charcoal grey! exactly the same as the rep dial colour...they got it very accurate. The thing about photos is the gen watch will photograph differently due to lighting conditions and AR etc. The colour looks different depending on these conditions, ranging from brighter grey to black. In most stock type photos it shows darker than in real life.

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Ok i am back and took a very good close look, the only tint of grey i can see is in some non straight light conditions and at a certain angles, so to my eyes the dial is just black...

Here are some photos of what it looks like when sun hits it. Almost 100% of what i see is captured in the shots.

DSC02442.jpg
DSC02441.jpg
DSC02440.jpg

Inushuk

Put Some Respect On My Name
19/10/10
nodoubt for me it is black ... here are my 2 franken with Gen Dial

uweupo11.jpg

110328upossb03.jpg

uweupo03.jpg

mydnytrydr

Mythical Poster
25/9/09
Depending on how the light hits the dial, it looks flat black or charcoal black to me.....

mydnytrydr

Mythical Poster
25/9/09
The way light plays off of the dial makes this watch really special, imho.... I get loads of compliments on my PO, and it is one of my favorites in my collection!

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
The way light plays off of the dial makes this watch really special, imho....

This is the key point here, the light makes all the difference.
Lol though, I still say it is matte charcoal grey (i.e. not a light grey, a very dark one :D) I think we'll all agree to disagree on this one, it's a cool dial though, the light changes it, similar to what happens to the prominence of the waves on the old blue smp when the sun hits the dial!

Here's mine next to the black smp, which is black :D

14wd10k.jpg

TheCold

15/8/09
An easy way to solve it is just for me to buy a gen dial and add a bit to its frankyness ;) no more need to worry about wrong color in lightning conditions!