• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

When a watch is "serviced" what is done exactly?

Patek986

28/12/06
At a place that does it "right" and does not "dunk" the movement in oil.... What is done during the servicing? Do they just go into the movement and oil all the points of movements (where you jewels are) etc.. ? I'm wondering down the line in 4 years or so if I will have a hard time finding someone to work on my watches. I buy all asian 21J's. I know parts aren't usually obtainable for these(don't know why not there's millions of them), but are any parts needed to be replaced during a service?
Thanks,
Jim

Klink

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
15/3/06
Yu..r..most..welcome!

Patek986

28/12/06
Thanks waterpruf! Looks like something simple I could do myself then....not! Holy cow, that's crazy you'd have to really know your stuff to do that!

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
Patek986 said:
Thanks waterpruf! Looks like something simple I could do myself then....not! Holy cow, that's crazy you'd have to really know your stuff to do that!
I'm considering learning how. If my playing with a 2836 doesn't make me cry like a little girl, I'm taking the TZ course.

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
[quote="Pugwash
I'm considering learning how. If my playing with a 2836 doesn't make me cry like a little girl, I'm taking the TZ course.[/quote]

...Pugwash, I cried like a little girl when I started taking apart the 2836. The 2801 was nice and relatively simple to do and then the 2836 came along and that one is another world. I still cannot totally grasp the function of it, even after taking it apart. And the first time one of the bridge screw squirted out of my tweezers, it took me 3 days to find it. :shock: I am still trying to figure out the oiling process, watch oil is much thinker than I thought. Still fun though... :D

Klink

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
15/3/06
perseverd..

the knolwedge is not hidden...