• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What's the resale value on a high-end vintage rep?

cacti

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
27/10/23
I'm talking like a nice Phong build $2k - $4k. Seems like a lot of money for a rep watch, although super quality.

Is there a market out there for people buying these second hand? I don't see a lot of SOLD threads in the Collectors Watch Corner...

Mkempes

and now into vintage
Supporter
Certified
13/12/23
EU
If it's a 6542 with gilt dial and Serpico & Laino print, I'm interested. ;)

eBoy

⏱️ RWI New Members Area Chief Janitor 🎪🛠️
Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia
I'm talking like a nice Phong build $2k - $4k. Seems like a lot of money for a rep watch, although super quality.

Is there a market out there for people buying these second hand? I don't see a lot of SOLD threads in the Collectors Watch Corner...

On RWI's M2M, the resale value is always what the seller paid for it or slightly below, depending on the condition.

We actually have a non-profiteering rule.

cacti

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
27/10/23
On RWI's M2M, the resale value is always what the seller paid for it or slightly below, depending on the condition.

Thanks. It seems like these higher price reps are hard to sell, no?

Feefo

Your cleverness is mistaken for your cleverness
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
It's quite widely known especially by those endeavouring in frankening, that resell value will almost always be at a loss of what they put into their build.

TheBigJS

Play nicely
Supporter
Certified
7/12/22
UK
Thanks. It seems like these higher price reps are hard to sell, no?
The (£25k) Daytona in Berry's in Nottingham window has been there 6 months+.
Same thing I think.

If you price things well, they sell, if you try to squeeze every ££ out of them they might sell in the end. I took a hundred £ drop on a Daytona recently because I didn't actually check what they were available for from a TD.

It's nice that you believe that, but as there are currently approved sales in M2M £120+ over TD price I'm not convinced.

Caveat emptor.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave2302

TheBigJS

Play nicely
Supporter
Certified
7/12/22
UK
Challenge in the sale thread with evidence 👀

There's too much variation across TDs to do that, I'm not calling anyone out, but there is certainly potential for profiteering. I got bit on a Daytona M2M, paid £100 over cheapest TD price...my own fault, got excited!

Example
Clean 116610LN, from Elliot, £300.
Same watch from Ryan, £370.

I genuinely paid (here M2M) £430 for my VSF Starbucks Sub, they're £350 now at the TD.
So what's mine worth? It's been serviced and waterproof tested but I can't prove that, it runs at +4s a day...

Last edited:

Karbon74

Unrivalled Super Hottie
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kanto Region
There's too much variation across TDs to do that, I'm not calling anyone out, but there is certainly potential for profiteering. I got bit on a Daytona M2M, paid £100 over cheapest TD price...my own fault, got excited!

Example
Clean 116610LN, from Elliot, £300.
Same watch from Ryan, £370.

Elliot is a bit an outlier
he is underpricing every other TD at the moment

It does bring a question of « fair price » for evaluation of a sales thread though. Is his price the new market price ? Or is it still the historical TDs? 🤔

Reaps

-
25/9/22

It does bring a question of « fair price » for evaluation of a sales thread though. Is his price the new market price ? Or is it still the historical TDs? 🤔
I think his price is more than reasonable and tbh should be the new norm.

The pricing on most models (non Rolex) for TDs actually dont differ that much from non TDs but the popular Daytona, GMT, Subs, at least for TDs are sold WAY above non TD prices.

Feefo

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
The (£25k) Daytona in Berry's in Nottingham window has been there 6 months+.
Same thing I think.

If you price things well, they sell, if you try to squeeze every ££ out of them they might sell in the end. I took a hundred £ drop on a Daytona recently because I didn't actually check what they were available for from a TD.

It's nice that you believe that, but as there are currently approved sales in M2M £120+ over TD price I'm not convinced.

Caveat emptor.
120£ over?!? If you really see something like that please flag it.

Mods do not have all list prices branded in their brains, your help to flag this stuff is encouraged.

Endez

Patron
Certified
21/12/13
Almost all TDs have same price except Elliott. I recently built a Franken from a DJ41 vsf bought from Ctime and with Elliott I can see he sell the vsf more than 100usd less. If I want to sell my vsf franken I will of course listed the price I paid and not the cheaper you can find. Same for parts.

Hope people in m2m will be honest and if they bought their watch from Elliott they will sell at same price. For sure they won’t lose any money

TheBigJS

Play nicely
Supporter
Certified
7/12/22
UK

This is the question isn't it?
Plainly if you're pricing above what you paid, you're breaking rules.

But you could go to your regular TD pay $828 for a 126500 (new steel Daytona), think it's not for you and legitimately apply for HVS sale, show proof, get it approved and list it M2M at $800 inc post. Thinking you're just wanting most of your money back and doing nothing wrong.

Meanwhile you could pay $650 for the same watch from another TD.

And thus you're (innocently) listing a watch $150 over TD price.

Last edited:

Reaps

-
25/9/22

But you could go to your regular TD pay $828 for a 126500 (new steel Daytona), think it's not for you and legitimately apply for HVS sale, show proof, get it approved and list it M2M at $800 inc post. Thinking you're just wanting most of your money back and doing nothing wrong.

The nitty gritty of the rule is intent.

The intent is not to profit from your sale. Of course an admin or moderator can clarify if I'm wrong.

If you buy an Elliot watch and list it for JTime TD price then yeah. But if you buy a JTime piece and let it go a little below what you paid - you are not really profiting from it. Of course whether or not you'll sell it is a different matter.

Feefo

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU

The crux is not the TD price, it's what yo paid for. Buyer is free to choose buying or not. We can't police the seller's morality/intent. Or can we?
tom cruise sociopath GIF

Last edited: