• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What would you do? Modders taking a long time to complete work

philwongnz

I'm Pretty Popular
27/1/14
Currently I have a few pieces with 2 modders:

Modder #1 has 3 watches. 1 watch which was semi faulty when I got it (new watch sourced by the modder of which the modder modded) I sent it back to fix and 2 other watches are for further mods I sent. The mods for the two watches IMHO are not extremely difficult (some modders I read can turn it around in like 2 weeks). So far it has been 9 months. There were some personal issues with this modder which I appreciate but he doesn't really answer my messages semi promptly, e.g. took me over 1 month to get a reply from him last time (I send follow up messages like a few weeks later, i.e not messaging daily like a pest)

Modder #2 has 1 watch. Is a new build/build from scratch with parts sourced entirely by him and this watch he had built before. I requested some changes to the watch as it wasn't accurate and additional hands so I don't mind waiting. I waited over 12 months for the watch, got it and the second hand came off within days and also the plexi was cracked inside along the rehault. I sent it back and it has been like 4 months now. He also doesn't really answer my messages semi promptly, e.g. took me over 1 month to get a reply from him last time

I know this is a hobby which requires patience, but what would you do? Get the watches back and send it to other modders? keep messaging hoping to get replies? I hope I don't sound like I am annoyed or I am here to out the two modders. But I just like a reality check to see if I am being unreasonable in any ways or is this just taking far too long even for most of you and when to call quit/change, etc.

Thank you

Hesekiel

Vintage Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
4/1/17
California
What would I do?
Communicate with the modders and see how it's going.
You have the right mindset in seeing this as a hobby but I can also feel your emotional pain after 9 months . . .

mrsullivan

Replicaddict
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
18/8/19
EU
Timeframes can vary drastically. Some modders have weeks or months of work ahead, do this as part time hobby or have more "regular" horology work to do.
As said above, don't put pressure but don't hesitate to ask for updates once in a while.

Kerbus

Renowned Member
16/3/06
FL
I have a gen that I haven’t been able to wear in over a year. I thought the watchmaker serviced it but it broke so it remains with him since the start of this year. In my case reps give me more pleasure

Cheesegrater

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/22
uhhuh

Modder #1 has 3 watches. 1 watch which was semi faulty when I got it (new watch sourced by the modder of which the modder modded) I sent it back to fix and 2 other watches are for further mods I sent. The mods for the two watches IMHO are not extremely difficult (some modders I read can turn it around in like 2 weeks). So far it has been 9 months. There were some personal issues with this modder which I appreciate but he doesn't really answer my messages semi promptly, e.g. took me over 1 month to get a reply from him last time (I send follow up messages like a few weeks later, i.e not messaging daily like a pest)

Modder #2 has 1 watch. Is a new build/build from scratch with parts sourced entirely by him and this watch he had built before. I requested some changes to the watch as it wasn't accurate and additional hands so I don't mind waiting. I waited over 12 months for the watch, got it and the second hand came off within days and also the plexi was cracked inside along the rehault. I sent it back and it has been like 4 months now. He also doesn't really answer my messages semi promptly, e.g. took me over 1 month to get a reply from him last time

I know this is a hobby which requires patience, but what would you do? Get the watches back and send it to other modders? keep messaging hoping to get replies? I hope I don't sound like I am annoyed or I am here to out the two modders. But I just like a reality check to see if I am being unreasonable in any ways or is this just taking far too long even for most of you and when to call quit/change, etc.

Thank you
There's what people nowadays call BALANCE.

I don't work with anyone who refuses to provide an update when I ask when a few weeks have gone by or if it's past the deadline given to me.

I don't like bothering people working on my stuff when I know it'll take time and anyone who expects people to ask daily and get daily responses are just annoying as fuck. You want them to focus and work on your stuff or having a chat with you?

BALANCE......

Oilime

Proud daddy
Patron
Certified
31/8/17
🇪🇺
Assuming they are modders from the forum and so on reliable , I would forget about the watches and wait until they are ready. If you can deal with that, then take them back but shooting messages won’t really change a thing imho

Reactions: Dave2302

MaximillianGT

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
5/6/23
🇩🇪

Thank you
You are not unreasonable but I won't risk making a scene to push your modders. Some of them are fairly emotional, you won't get anything apart from a time of unhappy conversation and you still have to wait for your reps to get done. So I would save my breath if I were you.

Get used to the wait, and forget about your reps until one day it show up at your doorstep for a pleasant surprise. That's my positive suggestion.

Last edited:

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
This is partly why I started to do my own stuff. Those guys are busy, busy.

Now having started to dabble in mods, i also see the other side of the mirror.
- people don’t always understand the actual time it takes to do things
- each time you manipulate something, it can go wrong anytime for random reasons
- sometimes when you are done, suddenly the hand come off and you go WTF…and start again
- some people have crazy expectations or are not very courteous

I took a few commissions in the past and decided to stop doing that. It’s a hobby for me, and I would hate it if it became « work »

Now 9 months is a long time, so I also sympathize with OP

Andrew_watchlist

Supporter
28/4/24
9 months is pushing it by a long shot, hobbies do have these randoms that either have no sense of time (no pun intended) or are flakey as F. there is a guy I know of who clones Gibson PAF pickups, you gotta pay upfront and wait a year. F that.

• Love

MaximillianGT

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
5/6/23
🇩🇪
9 months is pushing it by a long shot, hobbies do have these randoms that either have no sense of time (no pun intended) or are flakey as F. there is a guy I know of who clones Gibson PAF pickups, you gotta pay upfront and wait a year. F that.
Good luck sending a gen Rolex back for a full service, 6 months is a praise-the-lord miracle.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
My sympathies are almost entirely with the modders. From my own inept dabbling I can fully understand how hard it must be to find the time and inclination to complete projects for people you only know as names on a forum.

So, if you aren't prepared to wait as long as it takes, then get the work to date back from them... and start learning to DIY it.

Bez625

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Supporter
Certified
10/10/23
To give you a sense…each time I sent a gen for repairs to the AD, it took 6-9 months to come back
Yeesh 6-9 months? And i bet the service cost the same as a top tier rep too. I'm starting to think only the gold rolexs are worth buying gen.

Kerbus

Renowned Member
16/3/06
FL
I agree about the gen gold Rolexes. I may seriously consider just buying a replacement rep if the cost to repair gets too high and there’s still no escaping waiting, waiting for the new one to arrive. I’ve grown more patient since buying my recent reps. It is worth it in the end

MaximillianGT

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
5/6/23
🇩🇪
My sympathies are almost entirely with the modders. From my own inept dabbling I can fully understand how hard it must be to find the time and inclination to complete projects for people you only know as names on a forum.

So, if you aren't prepared to wait as long as it takes, then get the work to date back from them... and start learning to DIY it.
Hard to swallow but ultimately the truth.

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
Yeesh 6-9 months? And i bet the service cost the same as a top tier rep too. I'm starting to think only the gold rolexs are worth buying gen.

Cracked crystal and fallen hands, probably damaged dial. On a Tag Heuer Calibre 5 of 2001.

Repair Replacement and full service = 1500€
Plus a new crocodile strap 300€

Yeah…

Vineetd23

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
13/12/21
Los Angeles, CA
Modders are definitely the primadonnas of the rep world, can be very touchy and high strung. 9 months to a year is too much, did they give you time estimates when you started? I’ve dealt with several and had some special builds made, absolute max wait was 6 months.

philwongnz

I'm Pretty Popular
27/1/14
There's what people nowadays call BALANCE.

I don't work with anyone who refuses to provide an update when I ask when a few weeks have gone by or if it's past the deadline given to me.

I don't like bothering people working on my stuff when I know it'll take time and anyone who expects people to ask daily and get daily responses are just annoying as fuck. You want them to focus and work on your stuff or having a chat with you?

BALANCE......
Well I messaged them like 2 months after when I haven't heard anything after they originally said they will message me next week, then it will take another month + for a reply with a few follow up messages every 2 weeks or so and the cycle continues where I might see a few photos now and then with the progress