• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

what movement is the 42mm PO from seller WBK ?

omegazzz

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/5/09
I'm assuming it's the 21j or whatever it's called, are they known to be reliable and if not can they be serviced to be reliable ?

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
I'll take a shot at this.

It all depends on how it was assembled, wether it will function properly. You could have either an ETA or very inecpencive 21j built properly and they both would last.

His model does use a 21j and would be best to replace it if it fails. The price for a replacement 21j is less than repairing one.

WackoBirdKeeper

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
23/3/06
New Jersey, USA
The movement in this watch is a very high quality Asian movement. These are exceptionally reliable, and they are easily repaired, as are all Asian movements. You just need to know a repair person that knows the movement and has the parts. As a matter of fact, these are more easily repaired than the ETA movements, and they cost less to repair.

In the case of the Omega Co-Axial movement, the higher beat movement is actually NOT desirable. The beat rate on the Co-Axial is 25,200.

(Taken from a John Holbrook article)
But every watch movement that I've seen Omega equip with the Co-Axial escapement runs at a significantly lower beat speed than 28,800. The Omega caliber 2500 (the first Omega Co-Axial equipped caliber) has a beat speed of 25,200. Same with the all in-house Omega 8500.

So, the higher beat rate is a give away. The slower rate is closer to the GEN movements sweep.

Next, no matter what anyone tells you, no one can get any ETA ebauches. (basic movements). Swatch group has stopped selling these to anyone other than a select few as of this year.

“Swatch Group could cope very well without (selling parts to other watchmakers). It only accounts for sales of around 300 or 400 million Swiss francs, which is some 7 or 8 percent of total sales,†Hayek said. “The loss will be small compared to all the advantages we will get back.â€

What many expected is now finally official. Watch mogul Nicholas Hayek recently told The Guardian that the Swatch group is planning to cut supplies to the rest of the watch industry. A bold but unpredictable move. Let’s assert some of the facts shall we?

Why is this such a big deal? First of all, Swatch owns ETA. Whanever you hear that a watch has a Swiss movement, chances are that it’s ETA. I’d even say that most “nice†Swiss watch companies have or have used third-party at some point (Rolex used Zenith movements in the Daytona until ten or so years ago, and Panerai only introduced their own movements very recently). There are some other competitiors, Oris uses Sellita for instance, but ETA is still king.

Here’s a list over the component makers that Swatch owns:

o Dress Your Body
o ETA
o Frédéric Piguet
o Nivarox-FAR
o Valdar
o François Golay
o Comadur
o Rubattel & Weyermann
o MOM Le Prélet
o Deutsche Zifferblatt Manufaktur
o Universo
o Favre et Perret
o Manufacture Ruedin
o Lascor
o Meco

Yeah, I didn’t recognize all of them either. What is very note-worthy is Nivarox-FAR. Nivarox basically has the spring market under total control – even Rolex has used them.

Just google this. This is all over the internet. If a new rep today does come with a real ETA movement, it is either NOS, a rebuilt movement, or a used movement. The fact is that almost all "SWISS ETA" movements sold today are actually Asian reps of the swiss ETA movement.

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
would be best to replace it if it fails. The price for a replacement 21j is less than repairing one.

OK, I guess I was wrong here. I trust WBK on this.

It sure seems like they have planned this ETA cutoff for a while. Make some companys dependant on you then pull the rug out from under their feet. :sam: