• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What is the movement & glass?

just a nickname

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/5/13
Hello,

I received this model (planet ocean 42mm):
http://www.torobravos.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=37_128&product_id=151

and this model (seamaster pro):
http://www.torobravos.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=37_128_129&product_id=791

On the first one, I can see a blue reflect (the light source's reflect is blue too). Sapphire crystal for sure.

For the seamaster pro, it says it has a sapphire crystal but when I look at the reflect there is no blue reflect whatsoever. So what did I got? Mineral glass instead of sapphire?

I wonder what is the movement inside of the watch too.
Here is the 007 seamaster pro:
20130610214510.jpg

It is supposed to have an asian ETA 2824-2. It looks like crap compared to the PO (A4813):
20130610214755.jpg

I also have a problem with the bezel on the seamaster 007.
You can clearly see it on these two pics:
FAEWPYSE8H8PMO-_YKg9MmfwV_VfmL6hbbIcCfdplCo

Notice between the 40 and 50, you can't see the edge while you see a slight edge between 30 & 40 and the pearl & 50.
They did a good job to hide it on the QC picture :(

Do you think I can fix this? No very happy to have that...

Tagster

22/6/10
Mate, you´re pictures are not displaying.

Now, regarding your question about the glass, let me tell you the "blue" reflection you see on your PO has nothing to do with the Saphire crystal, is the antireflective coat color. The saphire crystal has no color. So I guess in the PO the AR coating is blueish compared to the Seamaster Pro AR or maybe this one has no AR coat at all.

Cheers!

Luthier

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/9/09
2824-2 is crap, compared to 4813???
Mate. Seriously. Spend some weeks in learning.

Tagster

22/6/10
I forgot to mention: Toro Bravo is a great dealer, I don´t think he would try hide anything.

The movements on those replicas should be Asian 2824.

Cheers!

just a nickname

27/5/13
Thanks! My friend told me the blue reflect was due to the sapphire crystal. I am happy he was wrong :)

As for toro, I will just show you the two quality pictures shown to me and let you decide if they tricked me or not...

FAEWPYSE8H8PMO-_YKg9MmfwV_VfmL6hbbIcCfdplCo

vRzOJlTCTcHDa0ueatr9szw7wX9sViht80MlRrAVwo4

The watch is symmetric on the pictures.
If you look closely, there is an edge everywhere but between 40 and 50.
The bezel is inclined somehow. You can't notice it in the QC pictures.

Tagster

22/6/10
No worries, glad to help :)

The third photo is still not working.

And the movements are Asian clone of the ETA, there is no such thing of "asian ETA" ;)

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
No wonder so many rep dealers go into strictly scamming. Its so much easier.

just a nickname

27/5/13
No wonder so many rep dealers go into strictly scamming. Its so much easier.

What are you trying to say?

I can't do anything about it, I just want to fix this watch. I know it is a replica, I wasn't expecting anything in particular but the bezel is really bad and that's really the only thing that bother me with that watch beside the dial I was planning to replace.

Yesterday, I tried to remove the bezel without any success. Is this possible the bezel cannot be replaced?

I am not trying to discredit toro, the planet ocean I received is awesome. But the other, the seamaster 007, is another story.

GrimReaper

Known Member
2/5/13
I also still don't know if I really got a sapphire glass on Aqua Terra from Hont.
I tried the water drop test, but it doesn't flow like on my gen with sapphire.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Water drop test is a load of BS. Surface tension depends on a lot more than what the crystal is made from including if it's coated and how clean it is. The only sure way to tell is a diamond tester.

just a nickname

27/5/13
Not saying above is wrong but here was my result with my mineral watch (flat crystal) & 2 "supposed" sapphire crystal doomed.

The drop on the mineral glass was not round and when I inclined the watch it left a small trail (the drop wasn't in "one-piece").
On the two other watch, the drop was really doomed and circular (vs mineral hadn't any particular form). When I incline the watch, the water drop was still perfectly shaped and slide while conserving its form (doesn't leave anything behind).

Diamond is hydrophobic, that's a propriety so I wouldn't call the water test a total BS. A coat on top of the glass can effectively lead to false results.
The process of making the glass can also change the result. If the glass is really really smooth (perfection of the material), the surface tension will be greater vs a cheaper glass that is more granular. So it can explains why your gen water test doesn't look exactly like on your rep.

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Your pictures arent very clear, but the 007 seamaster pro looks to have a sellita movement in it, at least by looking at the rotor.