• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What is the definition of a ”Franken”

Tompa

Respected Member
Supporter
Certified
7/12/18
Sweden
A few years ago when i was all in on APs the typical budget Franken should at least have gen dial/tachy and hands, reworked case(because the lwo movment offcourse) but with Rolex it seems to be different, look at the m2m i can see several ”frankens” with gen crystal, or gen crystal and a gen gasket as the only gen part,But still it can be called a franken.. So what is a franken? If i put a gen crystal on a rep AP its no way i can call it a franken. But can i call a Rolex with gen hyrtel ring a franken? :) i think its strange.. :) So again what is a franken?

Reactions: bill33

kavorca1

cosa nostra for life.
12/5/20
SoCal
I guess you can look at it like this… a modded watch is a rep with rep parts (albeit higher quality parts) and a Franken has some Gen parts ie light franken some have many gen parts ie super franken ect

Reactions: Tompa and P..DR..D

P..DR..D

Regendary Member
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
According to the FAQ:

Franken: A watch that has had genuine parts added to it in order to make it closer to the genuine counterpart

Does adding a genuine crown count as a franken, seems meh, and would immediately be called out on any M2M thread.

Maybe the experts have evolved since then, but the market will accept what the market accepts, because to me, a franken Rolex should be at least a dial, hands, crystal, but what do I know 🤷‍♂️