• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What is the actual movement in a gen PO?

e36wchmstr

8/5/06
What do the gen PO's have as far as movement? I heard they were actually slower than the ETA reps we have, but I wasn't sure.

Also, when are the 5th gens expected, and will the bezel issue be addressed?

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
pelotudo said:
What do the gen PO's have as far as movement? I heard they were actually slower than the ETA reps we have, but I wasn't sure.
The PO movement uses a 25200vph Co-Axial movement to add 12.5% to the power reserve. That is slower than the 28800vph ETAs we like so much.

e36wchmstr

8/5/06
What would that be ETA wise, or is it different? Like ETA 2836, 2894, etc..? And what differences can be determined just by removing the caseback between the 3rd Gen PO's w/ ETA and the gens?

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
pelotudo said:
What would that be ETA wise, or is it different? Like ETA 2836, 2894, etc..? And what differences can be determined just by removing the caseback between the 3rd Gen PO's w/ ETA and the gens?
I'll tell you when I open up my brother's Gen 45mm PO later this month. :D

Ow, ow, ow, stop hitting me, bro!

cwai02

Renowned Member
16/3/06
The gen has an anti magnetic cover, with a cal 2500 movement, based on the ETA 2892-2.
The main difference is the 2 extra jewels and the Co-Axial Escapement. It also has a free-sprung balance to improve precision.

This movement is one of the best movement around. It can last for years without servicing. Very reliable imo. I believe Omega will replace all the current models with Co-Axial.

at8.jpg

Category 5

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/4/06
http://www.timezone.com/library/horolog ... 3290479607

Check this out if you want to see more. The 2500 is a 2892 derivative, but it is really a sompletely different animal. Watchsmiths I have spoken to estimate the co-axial movements need servicing only every 10-15 years!!! (compare to 3-5 years for traditional movements).

the co-axial escapement is designed to limit the movements reliance upon lubrication for correct operation.

I have had my gen now for abou 36 hours and I still ahve yet to lose a second. In fact, as far as I can tell I have yet to lose a half-second. It's pretty much keeping up with my quartz TAG.

Many people I've talked to beleive the co-axial escapement is one of the biggest things to happen to automatic watches since the self winding mechanism. These are some of the best quality movements around.

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
Category 5 said:
I have had my gen now for abou 36 hours and I still ahve yet to lose a second. In fact, as far as I can tell I have yet to lose a half-second. It's pretty much keeping up with my quartz TAG.
You should be proud of that Gen. It's one of the cases of a Gen being demonstrably better than a Rep. My brother hasn't even worn his reps since getting his Gen.

D

d4m.test

Pugwash said:
pelotudo said:
The PO movement uses a 25200vph Co-Axial movement to add 12.5% to the power reserve. That is slower than the 28800vph ETAs we like so much.

which is pretty stupid for an automatic watch :) I'd rather have a smooth sweeping second hand :roll:

Category 5

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/4/06
Since the power reserve of the 2500 isn't significantly greater than most other movements I'd imagine the reduction was done to make up for power that was lost in the co-axial design. THe 2892 normally has a 28800bph rate, and If I'm not mistaken the power reserve is about the same.

At any rate, I'd much rather have 25200 and service the movement every 10-15 years than have 28800 and service it every 3-5!

tag

Horology Curious
16/5/06
slay said:
Pugwash said:
pelotudo said:

which is pretty stupid for an automatic watch :) I'd rather have a smooth sweeping second hand :roll:

The difference is not visible