• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What is the “best” first rep watch to buy?

Bwatch217

Do not accept unsolicited offers
13/9/24
hello everyone, my name is Ben and I’m looking to poll the community on what would be the “best” first rep to buy? Besides the question being egregiously subjective I just wanted to see if anyone had recommendations, experiences with their first rep, and so on that they would like to share. Love to know what people have to say.
thanks,
Ben

amnesiaZ

active
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
Supporter
Certified
30/6/24
I think the first rep should be something simple so you can get into the game a bit more.

Something like a CF Datejust or a VSF Submariner, basically a very good out of the box watch.

My First Watch was a DJ 36Mm bicolour from Jtime :)

MaximillianGT

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
5/6/23
49°50′34.8″N 9°54′07.4″E
hello everyone, my name is Ben and I’m looking to poll the community on what would be the “best” first rep to buy? Besides the question being egregiously subjective I just wanted to see if anyone had recommendations, experiences with their first rep, and so on that they would like to share. Love to know what people have to say.
thanks,
Ben
The one you like, period.

Taste is a very personal matter, you won't buy something because everybody likes it, you buy something you like.

Bwatch217

13/9/24
Thank you everyone for your replies. Call me basic but I’m interested in a Rolex sub date. seems like a good rep and can last a long time. Will have to continue researching to see if anything else interests me!

Reactions: Fabulously

Jossé

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Patron
Certified
13/8/23
The fjords
I completely agree with what’s been said above, buy what you want. Don’t overthink it. Put it this way, your first purchase definitely won’t be your last. So if you choose the “wrong” one, it’s not that big of a deal. Either you sell it on, or you just let it rest as a decoration in your watch box 😄

romez

Getting To Know The Place
19/8/24
Don't overthink it and get a VSF/Clean Black Submariner date 41mm - can't miss with that one

Reactions: Bwatch217

solo369

Supporter
Certified
14/9/24
Nothing wrong with being drawn to a Rolex given how iconic they are.

I wonder what the rate of Gen to Rep must be here in London because I think I see more Rolexes than I see anything else.

Everyone here is kind of saying the same thing, get what you like and what fits you. Purchased my first Rep last week and it was a Santos Dumont. Quartz watch and not complicated seemed like a solid first foray into this world :)

asusundevils1971

Your Parents Warned You To Stay Away From Me.
Supporter
Top Poster Of Month
23/2/23
Canada
I wonder what the rate of Gen to Rep must be here in London because I think I see more Rolexes than I see anything else.
Rolex isn't an expensive watch to purchase if you can get one from an AD. The iconic design of their watches can be seen from across a room so there is no wonder you notice them the most in London.

Trying to get one is the biggest hurdle as the AD's want you to buy other things to build a repour but mostly to make sure you are serious about buying one and not turn around and sell it on the gray market.

Wakeuphotel

Watchfantasist - Currently 3 Gen’s, 5 Rep’s 🤙🏻
31/5/21
Denmark
I would suggest a Rolex Submariner NoDate if your budget is around 350, as most cheap Rolex reps have issues with the dials, which is often a dead giveaway at first glance to untrained eyes

watchbolt

Getting To Know The Place
Supporter
Certified
17/9/24
Is there a specific VSF version on the sub date one should be looking for?

Last edited:
Reactions: KillerD

APjumbo

Just one more
Supporter
Certified
11/1/11
Canada
I probably wouldn't start with a rolex.
They already have a negative connotation with being repped.

I think a ZF black bay 58 is a good starter rep, it is generic and loved by many, cheap to acquire, won't draw any attention.
Then when you get used to wearing reps and see the value in them, brnach out to rolex, panerai, AP ect.

If a Tudor is below your (dare I say it) income level, (what you may already own or are able to easily obtain) start with an Omega seamaster.

The ceramic case 2019 seamaster in its larger size is one of my favorite pieces.