• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

what club?

CarbonRob

30/10/10
Hi guys, after I had shoulder surgery a few years ago, I want to get back into golf. At the time, I was playing maybe 6 times a month, with 16-18 handicap. I am looking to buy some new clubs now, and I wondered what you guys would recommend? I have a slow(ish) swing, and the bad habit of a 'fade'!

co-axial

Legendary Member
Advisor
16/9/10
Hi guys, after I had shoulder surgery a few years ago, I want to get back into golf. At the time, I was playing maybe 6 times a month, with 16-18 handicap. I am looking to buy some new clubs now, and I wondered what you guys would recommend? I have a slow(ish) swing, and the bad habit of a 'fade'!

A fade is not that bad, mate. Play a slight fade myself. With a slow swing just try out some clubs, or more important some shafts. If slow, grafite could be the option #1 combined with forgiving game improvement irons. All manufacturers can provide these combinations.

>> ask your local pro and try out what fits your game BEFORE BUYING ANYTHING!!!

Fore!

co-ax

wiscrna

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/10
+1. My swing dropped about 10-15 mph after my left shoulder open rotator cuff repair. I went from a set of 2005 steel shaft (TT Memphis 10) Callaway Fusions to graphite shaft Bridgestone GC MIDs I got in 2009 (on sale, NIB, but 2 years old, for $499).

I had tried graphite shafts before, but could never really find a good swing rhythm - I was always coming around too fast, and ended up flexing the shaft too much, and slicing the bejesus out of everything as the club head caught up to the shaft. This was with every stiffness, including X.

After my surgery, I really had to take it easy, and my club head speed dropped like a stone. In retrospect, once I switched clubs and learned how to hit them, I think I actually gined about 5 yards on the deal, even compared to pre-surgery.

I had my Big Bertha driver and woods reshafted with Aldila NVS 55 regular flex shafts, for 50 bucks each. Couldn't be happier.

Well, I could if I still didn't suck, but that'll never happen.

Oh, and I still use my Odyssey White Hot custom fitted putter - it will go to the grave with me. My putting game is what kept me from not throwing in the towel after surgery.

Will

brackdaddy

Known Member
7/10/09
Not sure where you're located but if you can get to a PGA Superstore they will let you demo whatever you want on a simulator for free. They have a deal setup with screens that you hit into and it calculates the distance and direction based on impact. Not 100% accurate but gives you a better idea than the more expensive options out there. Another and much more expensive option would be to go get a professional fitting. Good Luck!

CarbonRob

30/10/10
Thanks guys, I guess just trying some clubs at the local store will be the way to go!

tflgee

1/9/09
If you've had joint surgery I'd definitely go with graphite shafts. They really do make a difference. I can't hit steel shafts any more. After hitting a bazillion balls in my golfpro years my elbows are shot to hell. I'm sure it's primarily from hitting balls of those damn fake grass mats. I still swing like a freaking gorilla but the right shafts keep me hitting it straight. Get yourself out to a good shop with a swing computer and get fitted. But really think about going with graphite shafts. It will do your body good!

CarbonRob

30/10/10
Just a quick update gents, I had my swing analysed at the weekend, and it turns out I still have an average swing speed of around 80-82mph! For now, I have taken over my father's Callaway Fusion with graphite shafts, and had the lie adjusted. He bought some brand new Callaway I-Brids

co-axial

Legendary Member
Advisor
16/9/10
Just a quick update gents, I had my swing analysed at the weekend, and it turns out I still have an average swing speed of around 80-82mph! For now, I have taken over my father's Callaway Fusion with graphite shafts, and had the lie adjusted. He bought some brand new Callaway I-Brids

Good news! Good clubs, very forgiving with that shaft!

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Yeah, what they wrote above. :lol:

I suggest the new TM Burner Plus irons with graphite.

Gi4uZcQSCRfY_8Vk-KLVdVz7UJ9475wgp39a_KbtjIa2Gzpi4mwhHcOv3J5hgsnVHGXZ8pnnikPaBbM-RLswrrsDtut9SDUCPBpNtp88_rOo2lDpetpmAXghEB-xNJcSiGxK-5TPpcWN