• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What Causes a Slice by q5

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
The definition of a slice for right handed golfers is a ball that curves from left to right.
And the cause, to put it simply, it’s an open club face at impact.

-118426183224DSCF1152.05.JPG

There is usually an outside to inside swing path as well.

SwingPath.jpg

Here’s what I do to fix a players slice.

First thing is to get them to close the club at impact. This is the easy part. I do this by having them hit into an impact bag.

impact%20bag.jpg

They must hit into it with the toe of the club first. Loose grip is a must. If you hold tight, your hands can’t turn or roll the club closed. After a few tries, I have them hit some balls. This works a majority of the time. They start hitting balls that curve from right to left.

Second, we work on the swing path. This is sometimes harder to fix. I try to get them to swing out along the target line and finish with their weight on their left side. If their club is closing and they swing out to the target, a powerful drawing ball flight is produced.

There are many reasons people slice and many remedies to fix them. I hope this will help you find the left side of the course and keep you from going to the right again.

Good luck!

Q5? :golf:

tflgee

1/9/09
I find the slice is most often caused by the outside in swing path. Open clubface is an usually easy fix that can usually be addressed by a simple grip adjustment. But sometimes the player is just spinning out leaving the clubhead way behind the hands or even the weight getting onto the toes or the common reverse weight shift. All these can produce an open face. But these are usually easier to fix than the club path.

The club path fix is a much more difficult thing to fix. Especially if the player has had years of practice with the bad swing. The outside in path is usually caused be the right shoulder (on a righty) moving outwards rather than downwards. But what causes that? it can be the hips spinning, it can be the left knee locking up, a too upright take away, etc. The list goes on and on.

Here's some additional advice for slicers.

1) don't listen to your golfing buddies offering advice to fix your slice. They will only tell you what they've read or heard. You would not take medical advice from then would you?

2) Go get a lesson. A good pro should be able to diagnose the root cause. Knowing that will enable you to work on a solution. Make sure you see a GOOD golf pro. The dude at Roger Dunn probably isn't going too help much.

3) Once you know the cause go beat range balls until your hands bleed and you fix the problem. Taking a lesson and not practicing is like going to the doctor and then not taking your medicine.

TFLG

TheLoveOfBotham

28/9/09
Good advice from both of you there; thank you.

I tend to slice like a mofo, and my closest buddy, who got me into golf in the first place, is a physiotherapist, and he always says it's my too tight a grip and the roll in my hip swing that is causing me to hit the ball at too sharp an angle.

I sure wish I had the time to work on my technique, especially now the weather is becoming perfect for playing.

It's good to know our common interests don't stop at the watch box...

frigpig

Ghost of Sales Mod Past
Advisor
16/8/09
I always see guys gripping the shaft.. heehee.. way too hard with thier bottom hand and having thier thumb parallel with the shaft. The proper bottom hand alignment and grip pressure solve most contact issues. Think of gripping an open tube of toothpaste. Now swing!

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
I will fix my slice now. lol Usually I slice with my driver and I can tell you I grip it tight, then rip it.