• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

what are the "gotta have watch tools"

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
VERY BASIC
1 set precision screwdrivers
1 ball pein hammer.
1 bracelet holder
i pair needlenose pliers
1 jewelers loupe
1 polishing cloth
1 caseback opener. type is determined by the watches you primarily own.

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
If it has a brand name I don't know what it is. Picked it up for a few bucks. You just need to make sure the pronged end is either small or has interchangeable heads. Otherwise, you'll never be able to get at pins inside a Rolex band.

guanaco

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/7/07
Sidi Power Plant
I bought my spring bar tool for $5 including shipping from eBay, it's of great quality and just like the Bergeon. Just type in the search "spring bar tool" and choose the option to see lowest price including shipping, mine came from Australia according to the description but I'm 99% sure it came from China and to tell you the truth it's of very high quality. I also bought a Pin Remover for $0.99 including shipping :lol:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Band-Strap-Link-Pin ... dZViewItem

That's the link for one ending in 10 hours, he has a lot more, try it and make your bid $1 max. :mrgreen:

opustitevkajenja

Known Member
17/3/08
What the.. just checked and the shipping appears to be free worldwide.. how the hell can anyone make a profit off that? Something's just not right about that auction..

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
Well. First, it's AU. Sceond it won't sell for that much. Those ypres of auctions always jumop in the last few hours. Though a few slip by and you can get a hell of a deal. I picked up the scale I use for my reviews for $.99. 750 grams not a cheapie. Woohoo. Anyway, third, you will be waiting a month for the slow boat from China. In the end I'm not sure if I trust anyone who sells light up Omegas.

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
movement holder

good lighting

rodico putty

comfortable work area for the back

food.

guanaco

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/7/07
Sidi Power Plant
opustitevkajenja said:
What the.. just checked and the shipping appears to be free worldwide.. how the hell can anyone make a profit off that? Something's just not right about that auction..

Tell me about it, I'm waiting to see if I receive mine, I'll let you know. Either way it's just $1 :)

swissaddict

Renowned Member
6/3/08
I would add a couple things:

Tweezers - at the very least you'll want some for removing gaskets to grease.
Silicone Grease - to apply to seals/gaskets for making the watch more water resistant
Dust cover - you don't want any dust getting inside the case. Worst case it could damage the movement, but even if it's a speck o dust on the dial, that's annoying. For the budget-minded, you could just turn a glass bowl upside down :)

I'm pretty new to this, so maybe I'm missing something, but that's all I can think of for the very basics..

OH-- a camera! It's always good to have pictures of each step of whatever you're doing, in case you mess something up and have to figure out what went wrong.

guanaco

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/7/07
Sidi Power Plant
I have to add:

Cape cod bay polishing cloth and a scotch brite pad (the green one with the half being a sponge) for reapplying the brushed finish on some watches and to remove scratches from brushed parts of the watch.

RolexAddict

Dealer (watch buildings)
Trusted Dealer
27/10/07
Lot of good advises here,
I would add some suggestions:
with the time and practice you will notice that you can make by yourself a lot of useful little tools, especially to remove and stack hands

:idea: Also never throw away old parts you don't use, keep all : little screws, pins, tubes, old bezels, old bended springbars, metal or plastic rings etc... put all in a little box, I call mine "the magic box"
You will be happy when you are in a project to find the "nowhere to be found"

guanaco

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/7/07
Sidi Power Plant
opustitevkajenja said:

Holly crap! Guys, surprise SURPRISE! Seller is legit! My pin remover arrived safe and sound and just as described! :shock: