• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

WBK PO's "new looks" thoughts???

djkj6

Known Member
8/6/10
I know I haven't been around the boards for long. I have had the same screen name for years on other boards, and can be found on any multitude of them. I lurk much more then I contribute, but I have a month off or so
I have been playing around with some finishes and different looks. I have never really been the type to try and pass off a rep as a gen, but I dooooooo love having something that no one else has. I went for a certain look with these two, and am going for a few more before the summer is done and I am back to work and school full time. I am a PI here in FL and am in court a bunch for work, so I like to set myself apart from the typical suits that graze the halls like cattle. Rollie's Breitling's for the Interns and new sign on's at the firms... Omega, Cartier, Bulova, and Tag's for the mainstream... and some Tissot, Citizen, and a SUUNTO for that guy who comes in all spandex carrying his ten speed on his shoulder and front tire in his left hand...:thinking:
Anyway, I have been playing with some finishes and have a few more "wacky" schemes to try. I am going to be posting the "stone" look one up for sale soon to try out some different ideas. These started as PO's from WBK. The stone one is brand new. Washed the face, finished it in a "stone" textured finish. I was going to reinstall the markers and Omega symbol, but tried and it just didn't look right against the finish. tried another dial with markers installed, but it too looked "blah." When my wife took a look she thought it was a Sport Diver's Movado! o_O LOL

The second is a "Titanium" look I was going for, and quite like! I think it looks very unique, and I like the matte finish. I tried using a Parkerized finish on a Noobmariner in my buddies gun parking tank, looked awesome but did not hold up well and took scratches really quick. Nice to wear on occassion, but NOT as a daily beater... The final Ti look I got with a slight acid dip and a dab on/wipe off process. then a 400 grit finish and rounded the bracelet edges. I felt since I was already overboard on the finish, I might as well go all out on the bracelet. The more rounded look is better suited to look like "water bubbles" or "aqua" themes I think... I love the look and have been working on some "petina-type" finishes on stainless for matte and aging. it is built on a WBK case that came with the band on the other watch. bezel was removed and epoxied the whole unit around crystal and all, bezel is SET at 12 o'clock. He valve epoxied and frozen. AR is more purple on this one. feel free to let me know what you guys think about this "Titanium" look...

389586004.jpg

389585996.jpg

389585733.jpg

389585734.jpg

389585730.jpg

389585728.jpg

389585720.jpg

389585719.jpg

389585721.jpg

389585716.jpg

389585717.jpg

389585718.jpg

Tried a Black Oxide finish on a test head and I am unsure of how it will hold up as I have found black oxide to wear through sometimes, and it loses color in weird places from air exposure??? may have to work on a better prep routine...unfortunately, oxide does have a tendency to rust...lol

powder coating would be a thought for a simple head with no bezel/fixed bezel...Or perhaps black chrome instead of PVD coating.

I have even had some gen owners tell me they liked my Omega, and are shocked to hear it's a rep. Many want to take a closer look, and say they wanted to ask, but had no clue due to them having never seen a model like it. Many have liked it, and said if it were offered they might get one. a seldom few have pointed (after being told) and said, "see, I knew it wasn't a real Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean model 22...bleh, bleh, bleh..." At which point even their own friends lose interest.

I am interested to hear what other board members think? Good? Bad? Think a rep should be 1:1 with an original?

Thanks for your time!
-AC