• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Waterproofing the Planet Ocean

teoulennon

Renowned Member
17/5/11
I've been searching for what seems like ages and cannot find a definitive guide on this. When waterproofing the PO, what is the procedure?

I know you need to seal the He valve from the inside using marine epoxy and grease the caseback o-ring but I'm not sure about the crown.

Is there just one o-ring underneath the crown that needs to be greased? Am I missing anything?

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
If you just apply a bit of grease up under the crown, it should be fine.

Where are getting it tested?

My local WS charges $20 and uses one of these.....
PressureTest.jpg

smascarinas

I'm Pretty Popular
16/2/10
I don't think my guy sealed the HE valve, but it's still withstanding heavy swimming. Haven't done diving or snorkeling yet... but will try... Just greased the gaskets on mine... and this one was from China canal street type vendor.

IMAG0106.jpg

[AME]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G-GZQHqkuw[/AME]

teoulennon

Renowned Member
17/5/11
Thanks Q5?, that's exactly what I needed to know! I'll be testing it at a local WS, which I haven't needed yet so I'll have to make some phone calls to find one. According to google, there is a "watch repair service" shop close by, I assume it'll be ok for me to take it there.

Great vid sma :biglaugh: From what I understand the He valves can be tricky. I've seen a couple on rwi that are built differently so I'm just going to seal 'er up.

eurusd

Horology Curious
20/5/11
Is there someone, preferably in EU, that offers complete waterproofing (crystal, He valve, caseback, crown) and testing for a 42mm PO? I'm waiting for mine to arrive from Lay and would be interested in waterproofing it. I have seen the posts about DIY, but without the necessary tools it is probably too expensive to do for a single watch (incl. cost of tools and materials), let alone total inexperience.
I want to use it for swimming so 5ATM rating would suffice.

Pakz

Renowned Member
15/4/11
Is there someone, preferably in EU, that offers complete waterproofing (crystal, He valve, caseback, crown) and testing for a 42mm PO? I'm waiting for mine to arrive from Lay and would be interested in waterproofing it. I have seen the posts about DIY, but without the necessary tools it is probably too expensive to do for a single watch (incl. cost of tools and materials), let alone total inexperience.
I want to use it for swimming so 5ATM rating would suffice.

I thought that Lay guaranteed the waterproofing on his watches...

And based on the construction of the PO, you probably don't even need modding (might not even require re-greasing) to obtain 5 atm rating! Just test it to be sure (or ask Lay about his policy regarding that matter), maybe add some grease on the gaskets and go take a dip!

eurusd

Horology Curious
20/5/11
I thought that Lay guaranteed the waterproofing on his watches...

And based on the construction of the PO, you probably don't even need modding (might not even require re-greasing) to obtain 5 atm rating! Just test it to be sure (or ask Lay about his policy regarding that matter), maybe add some grease on the gaskets and go take a dip!

I contacted Lay to check about the guarantee, since his website only mentions that the watch is water resistant. I also asked if he individually waterproofs watches; an older post said that he tested watches over $150.
I am worried about the crystal leaking. I read the sub comparison where most reps that leaked, leaked from the crystal. I don't know if this applies for the PO.

smascarinas

I'm Pretty Popular
16/2/10
Please click on the bottom on signature... Link that says "Trust your dealer, take the waterproof challenge"

|
|
|
v

I contacted Lay to check about the guarantee, since his website only mentions that the watch is water resistant. I also asked if he individually waterproofs watches; an older post said that he tested watches over $150.
I am worried about the crystal leaking. I read the sub comparison where most reps that leaked, leaked from the crystal. I don't know if this applies for the PO.