• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Watchsmith experience with UPO 45.5

Trevor52

Horology Curious
20/6/07
I live in a very rural area and there are no good watchsmiths but I have found a great 2nd generation watchsmith in Memphis. He runs a small shop with his wife and I have taken a gen electric blue SMP to him as it was running insanely fast - like + 8 hrs a day fast. He fixes it no problem and very reasonably. So I ge the nerve to bring my UPO and VCO to him. THe VCO - the date is sticking and the UPO the middle pin on the butterfly clasp has broken - a fairly common problem I understand. Also - a gen datejust to get a full servicing. Somehow I figured that it would be better because he is going to know the VCO is a rep but by mixing in a gen it will be better.

Long story short - I get there and we go over the Rolex - it was my grandfather's and the same watch he wore when he was shotdown at Guadalcanal and means the world to me. Then the UPO - fixed the clasp no problem and I am excited. Then he says well I can't get the crown to screw back in - I did not notice it until today when I knew you were coming as I wound it up and set the date for you. Anyway he says well um you do know this is a rep don't you? I completely panicked - what to do he is going to seize it or worse I am going to jail - I am too young to die! I simply stutter out um, yes. Then he proceeds to tell me his whole ordeal with trying to fix it - well it is a fantastic rep and I would not have known - the quality is very good and even the rotor is engraved. It fooled me and the only reason I found out is that when I called in the serial number it did not match this model. Well anyway I am in total panic but he is very accomodating - I have a stock crown that I could fit on there. What should I do - I can get another rep crown to fit on there - I could have a stock crown but I will always know that it does not have the correct logo - I am just sick to my stomach.

iwcforme

Known Member
5/6/08
get the one with the correct logo. If you dont it will always bother you.

Natron

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
11/10/06
i may have a crown.
let me know if you need it.
I will ship it to you, as I put a gen crown and tube in mine.

Natron

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
If you want the real deal, I have the gen crown and tube in stock I think I paid 50.00/set.

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Oh, and don't worry about the rep part in regards to your watchsmith. He sounds like a nice guy and is willing to work on your rep knowing it's a rep. Next time just be straight up and tell him before you hand it over. It isn't illegal to own a rep. Many watchsmiths don't give a rats arse either way.

Kahn

You're Saying I Can Sell?
31/5/08
R2D4 said:
It isn't illegal to own a rep. Many watchsmiths don't give a rats arse either way.
YEA, What he said!

Trevor52

Horology Curious
20/6/07
how hard is it to replace with GEN?

I have read mixed issues with replacing with the gen tube and crown. I mean I thought that it was not a good fit and you had to make it work. WHat has the experience been? If easy I would consider that way?

I have an extra rep crown curtesy of Hont.

rooster133

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/7/08
Reminds me of the time I took a Breitling rep to a shop in Melbourne Australia for a small job to the bracelet or case, I can't remember... Anyway, I knew the guy because I had bought a number of gen Omega parts from him. When he saw the Breitling he got all excited about the watch and started telling me all about the movement, design, etc... Before I could tell him it was a rep, he had figured it out by himself, pointed to a small sign on the wall behind him saying "we don't work on fakes" and kicked me out of the shop throwing the watch at me. In hindisght it was hilarious...

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
Re: how hard is it to replace with GEN?

Trevor52 said:
I have read mixed issues with replacing with the gen tube and crown. I mean I thought that it was not a good fit and you had to make it work. WHat has the experience been? If easy I would consider that way?

is it a 42.5 or a 45mm po? the 42.5 is a fairly striate forward swap but the 45mm is a different story. the hole in the case is too big so the tube has to be epoxied into the case and that is it.

here is my 45mm po with double ar and a gen crown and tube that was about 40.00 shipped from ofrei. it was sent to china 3 times for stripped crowns. the last time it lasted 2 days and stripped again. gen crown and tube is the only way to go with this watch.

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Re: how hard is it to replace with GEN?

hk45ca said:
Trevor52 said:

is it a 42.5 or a 45mm po? the 42.5 is a fairly striate forward swap but the 45mm is a different story. the hole in the case is too big so the tube has to be epoxied into the case and that is it.

HK this is also true of some of the 42MM PO. The case hole on my 42MM is too large to accept the gen. If you have an internally threaded crown tube like the gen it will more than likely fit. Hope that helps clear it up.

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
both of mine have the internal threads like gen, i have never seen a po with external threads, i didn't know they made them.

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
hk45ca said:
both of mine have the internal threads like gen, i have never seen a po with external threads, i didn't know they made them.

Ok well that quashes my idea on the hole size for each. Mine has an externally threaded crown and the hole is too large for the gen. Thanks for speaking up, I would never want to give the wrong information. Here is a picture from a friend of mine.

POextermal.jpg