• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Replica watches devalue genuine watches in your eyes?

• Thread starter d4m.test
  • Start date
D

d4m.test

I've seen lots of threads and statements from gen owners spouting this kind of crap before, saying that a $100 Rollecks devalues a $5000 Rolex and puts the company in danger, blah blah blah. We've all responded by saying our enthusiasm for the brand is actually good for the brand, not bad.

But do we actually believe what we say when put to the test?

Before I joined this board, I had just purchased a $1500 Tissot and $500 Hamilton from a grey market dealer (Amazon), and was basically researching to make sure they were real. Before I found this site, I was considering dropping about $3k on an Omega, and maybe $5k on a Rolex in the future. 7 months later, I could never imagine doing such a thing. Before, I would have been in awe at someone wearing a brand new genuine 6497 Panerai that they paid $6k for, and now I might think he was an idiot.

While I can see the appeal of spending more money on mods and frankens for the sake of accuracy, I can't see myself spending that kind of money on something that's already accurate. You don't see too many franken AP Divers or PAM 111Ns on here.

So my question is - Do you as a rep buyer and wearer now think much less of the value of mid to high end "mainstream" genuine watches?

(damn, 7 months ago I thought a $5k Rolex was the highest end possible :facepalm:)

LaCroix

You're Saying I Can Sell?
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
28/11/12
Millions of Fake Ferrari made of Fiero will not put a single dent on market price of genuine Ferrari. Same goes for Rolex. You can super franken, TC or BK mod the crap out of it, it won't do crap to value of genuine Rolex. Exact reason why I would never pay more than a couple of hundo for a fake watch. I own genuine subs and other Rolex models and one fake Sub C. Reason for my purchasing Sub C rep is to see whether I want the real model. It serves purpose for me. But do I ever wear my rep out pretending it to be the real McCoy. I've seen those breeds too. Which is why I do not understand why people would go gaga over a rep watch even if they are modded. At the end of the day, it's a fake watch.

intheshadows

30/8/12
I dont think it devalues the brand. You'll always know you're wearing a rep, and the other guy is wearing the real deal, every time you look at your wrist.

Plus, its pretty darn good advertising. I hardly knew anything about other watch brands other than the big names before I got into reps. Now, I'd consider spending thousands on the gen. Likely never would have even crossed my mind if I didnt come into contact with the rep.

Ruski91

Put Some Respect On My Name
12/10/12
So this is an interesting concept for a thread, though it has been brought up before.

Here's the thing - those who wear gen watches and say that reps devalue the name of the company are one of 2 people. 1) they came across someone with an amazing super-rep and were pissed that they spent so much on a rep or 2) ran into a Folex that brought shame to the name

The funny thing is - the majority of us buy reps not for the build, or the search for parts - but we buy them because we are looking for decent quality watches and simply can not afford the gens.

My wife and I are a perfect example of complete opposites. I am quite fond of this forum and of what the rep world has become. Some of these reps are so impressive, and are more so with each and every update that comes out.

My wife on the other hand does not approve. She feel that a fake is a fake and thats all there is to it. Why lie to yourself and to others. Now i have tried to explain ample times to her - what this is all about. but its futile, there is no changing her mind. Personally if i could afford a gen PAM as apposed to a rep one, i would buy the Gen and i think the majority of us would as well. After all my wife does have a point - even if no1 else knows, we still know they are fake when we wear them.

In regards to the devaluation. I think this is a bunch of crap. Besides the few people who buy watches (HIGH-END) watches for collection purposes - ex limited edition 200 made - the majority of gen owners buy the watch because its an instrument of time and they like how it looks/feels/etc.

So XYZ factory in china releases a copy of the watch - for arguments sake lets say 1:1 copy. How does this devalue the company. if anything it would put another watch in the market which would be on display for people to ask ... "hey what watch is that" ... ohh its a rolex/panerai/etc - and just like that there is additional interest/demand in the company.

I dont know honestly why people (gen owners - my wife included) hate on reps so much . But whatever ... we like them, we wear them .. who cares. let them talk all they want. and till we can afford buying the gen ourselves, we will continue wearing our super-reps proudly and the majority of them will be none the wiser.

end of rant. lol Sry just felt like this would be the place to share my opinions on the matter

smokiedabong

22/8/12
Not for all the watches. For watches that takes a lot of craftsmanship to build I would still pay premium if they have a nice, in house unique movement and quality build.
I would never pay that much for an overpriced, mass produced watch like those using ETA selling for $10.000 or some of the Pams. I would buy a gen Pam for maybe half the price, but I would never pay $6000 for a 111 seeing how easy it is to produce one for cheap, and definitely not paying $110.000 for this one http://www.watchuwant.com/watches/p...cial-edition-8-giorni8days-only-150-pieces-co .

boostin20

8/9/10
USA
For any watch company that makes an in-house mov't for a particular model watch, a rep will never come close in my eyes. Watches in general aren't an investment, but some definitely hold their value and some increase greatly in value. Those watches that gain value typically have in-house mov'ts (except for pieces associated with wars, etc.). Reps will never be able to do that. Like someone else mentioned, it's like saying a kit car fiero devalues a real Lambo.

coadkins86

16/11/12
Great thread, excellent question! Ruski91 +1 I could not agree more.

Ruski91

12/10/12
Woohoo someone read my rant lol - thanks coadkins

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
Saying a rep devalues a gen or then could we say that a gen adds value to a rep? Nope neither is true.

D

d4m.test

Some great responses here. I wasn't exactly looking for opinions on market value or economics in general, I was looking for more personal responses from actual rep owners and whether you personally still see value in a $5K gen when a $200 1:1 super rep exists.

I guess this thought came to me when I was having a conversation with my girlfriend, and she was asking me what watches I wanted to buy next. I came to the depressing realization that reps were a blessing and curse because I've already purchased reps of any watch I've ever wanted to own, and there really isn't much left for me to yearn for. First world problems.

The reason I kept mentioning that I've been a member for 7 months is because I'm hoping this is just a phase that others have gone through and that I will eventually appreciate the value of gens again. Or maybe not.

In my lifetime, my watch hobby evolved like this:

1. Bought and loved Casio/Timex watches
2. Fossils made me lose appreciation for Casio/Timex
3. Diesels made me lose appreciation for Fossils
4. Seikos made me lose appreciation for Diesels
5. Hamilton/Tissot made me lose appreciation for Seikos
6. Reps made me lose appreciation for Hamilton/Tissot AND genuine high end watches
7. Genuine High End watches never happens because reps kinda spoiled it for me.

At this point, I'm kinda sad that I'm not looking forward to buying any more watches, but perhaps happy to put that money towards a hot tub or massive home theatre / home automation system I've been eying up.

davylloyd

I'm Pretty Popular
22/2/10
I don't subscribe to the theory that reps devalue gens, or that sales of reps are sales that are lost to the gen world. There are too many people on this forum who own both, and to me that is pretty much stand-up proof.

In the middle of a pretty much world-wide economic slump, we don't hear very much news about luxury watch manufacturers going to the wall.

My own belief about why companies like Rolex pursue counterfeiters the way they do, is that they (mistakenly) think that shoddy reps seen out in the wild may be mistaken for the real thing, and that potential buyers would believe their standards had slipped.

D

d4m.test

Any devaluation of a gen rests with the person's perceptions and assumptions. One does not lead to the other; and as another mate said, the rep should create demand for the gen; having a rep of your gen to me is no more than an insurance policy: I will never wear my gen DJ to the gym; however, its rep version gets worn instead.

dave

LaCroix

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
28/11/12
Ture story, a friend of mine was jumped by two men on the streets of Brazil all because of his Explorer II. Since then he bought a rep along with anther gen. You just dont take your gen to every location and occation.

45acp

I'm Pretty Popular
2/12/11
I'm about to go to bed so this will be brief, but yes, reps do to some degree devalue their genuine counterparts. Part of the value of luxury goods is the exclusivity, that only people of a certain level of means can afford to spend $6k on a watch or $1k on a handbag. When people buy fakes, it at best makes ownership seem less exclusive (especially when a HBB is being worn by a valet) and at worst creates a presumption that people with gens might be wearing fakes.

livil

20/9/12
if it wasnot for the rep community/ watches i wouldn't have a clue what a panerai is nor would i care . the rep community certainly helped me develop a higher interest in the gen watch market . watches are in my eyes pieces of art in most case and althought i cant afford a van gogh ( nor find one ) i own a reproduction and no one cares or point the finger at me , i personnaly dont feel any shame at wearing a rep watch and i guess 100% of the members here feel the same . i am not sure the rep are devaluating the gen brand . more like putting them on the map of a larger audience which might be unwanted ..... the upper class in the known of all those luxury brand would like to keep it a secret . i am not sure if the panerai wearing client i had last week will buy panerai again when he saw i was wearing a 111 ( i run a mobile bar business ) as the brand probably lost it s sense of exclusivity to his eyes , i doubt he would even think it might be a replica as it is something i can pull off even tought in my line of buisiness i am still conisdered as "the help " i guess . one of my cocktail waitress was wearing a J12 at an event last week and i am pretty sure if any of the female clients around noticed they probably wont wear their own again even if they know for sure it was a fake ( a waitress cant possibly own a j12 in their eyes )i guess you cant be seen wearing the same watch as the waitress !!!
. i tend to work for the upper class market and every day is a carousel of top brand at work which i would not even have cared about 4 month ago , now i am all about eye balling people wrists!!

mydnytrydr

Mythical Poster
25/9/09
I don't see anything devalued at the AD, if PRICE is your main indicator of VALUE....

macca001

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
4/11/10
London
Great question.

I think if anything I have a greater appreciation of the workmanship that goes into a Rolex, Patek or Panerai. I still aspire to own some of these great watches in future but would probably have chosen poorly if it had not been for the education received from all of you.

The other great thing about reps, is the ability to try before you buy, I can't go and buy a gen PAM wear it for a few weeks and then get my money back if I don't like the look.

My point is that this hobby probably promotes the great Gen brands and does not devalue them in any way.

rooster133

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/7/08
Some great responses here. I wasn't exactly looking for opinions on market value or economics in general, I was looking for more personal responses from actual rep owners and whether you personally still see value in a $5K gen when a $200 1:1 super rep exists.

I sure do. A rep is a rep and though it may get close to the genuine item, it's still a fake. For example, I'd still pay big money for an authentic vintage Rolex 1680 even though I can get one from china for 50 bucks. I'm sure I don't need to explain why. What I'm buying is more than a pretty piece of metal. I don't like to fool myself into believing that reps are more than what they are.