• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

VSF or Clean 2836 movement swap

tiss1

Do not accept unsolicited offers
29/1/23
EU
Hi guys,

i want to buy a nice 114060 No Date Black Submariner.
I like to wear the watch a lot in everyday life so i need a sturdy movement.

Unfortunately i can't find a nice watch with a 2836 movement anymore.
Is it possible to equip the current vsf or clean variants with an ETA 2836?
Or is the conversion difficult or impossible?

Regards!

SaiyanSaiyanNoMi

Failing Upwards
Supporter
Certified
19/7/18
Hi guys,

i want to buy a nice 114060 No Date Black Submariner.
I like to wear the watch a lot in everyday life so i need a sturdy movement.

Unfortunately i can't find a nice watch with a 2836 movement anymore.
Is it possible to equip the current vsf or clean variants with an ETA 2836?
Or is the conversion difficult or impossible?

Regards!
To be honest, the VS/VR movements are quite robust in comparison to their SA/SH brethren, and while an ETA 2836 will be an overall better movement, understand that the case, dial, and hands were not designed for an ETA movement, so would need a custom made movement spacer to fit inside the case, along with hands to go along with it, while the dial can be clipped and adhered to the movement (especially easy since there is no date.)
I believe some ARF models still use an ETA based movement, so the swap would be a lot easier, I'd reach out to a TD and see if one can be sourced first.

KushBandit

I'm Pretty Popular
13/8/18
Whisky-A-Go-Go
You need a 2824 with the correct movement spacer and dial spacer. A 2836 stem height and 3135 case tube height are different.

You'll need new hands, new date wheel or date wheel overlay, and new dial(or modify existing dial feet).

I'd just leave it alone if I were you. The VR/VS 3135s are solid movements for the most part.

SaiyanSaiyanNoMi

Failing Upwards
Supporter
Certified
19/7/18
You need a 2824 with the correct movement spacer and dial spacer. A 2836 stem height and 3135 case tube height are different.

You'll need new hands, new date wheel or date wheel overlay, and new dial(or modify existing dial feet).

I'd just leave it alone if I were you. The VR/VS 3135s are solid movements for the most part.
Totally forgot about stem crown and tube. Yeah this is a lot more work than would be worth.

Reactions: KushBandit

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Patron
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
As said, not worth it, and the parts that you'll be swapping in to switch to an ETA will all be inferior to what came with it (hands, date wheel overlay.... I understand you are looking at a no date but my answer is for completeness) Get a VSF as the VS movement is the best clone movement overall at this point. If you're concerned about longevity you can always have it serviced right away and the VS movement will take a significant number of genuine parts, including a genuine balance. I personally think this is overkill. I have a VS3235 movement in my sub and it is a great movement... The first superclone movement I've not been afraid of crapping out. Mine is a couple of years old now (purchased before the raid) and still is as good as day one.

Last edited:
Reactions: KushBandit