• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

VS3235 Balance Upgrade

Doubledangers

Horology Curious
25/6/23
Alaska

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
I've done several gen balance conversions in 32xx movements. So far they have all worked, but I had one that did not like a gen pallet fork and escape wheel. Buying a used balance is risky as you don't know what condition it's in (you can't tell much from photos). If it's in good working condition then it should work just fine. It will, however, need to be regulated with a microstella tool after installation.

Doubledangers

Horology Curious
25/6/23
Alaska
I've done several gen balance conversions in 32xx movements. So far they have all worked, but I had one that did not like a gen pallet fork and escape wheel. Buying a used balance is risky as you don't know what condition it's in (you can't tell much from photos). If it's in good working condition then it should work just fine. It will, however, need to be regulated with a microstella tool after installation.
Thanks! Do you feel like it improves the performance enough to justify the investment? Or are there other parts that would make more of an impact?

Yolo9494

Supporter
Certified
1/5/23
Uk
I’m curious, why would you upgrade the balance wheel? To make it look more like the gen?

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
Thanks! Do you feel like it improves the performance enough to justify the investment? Or are there other parts that would make more of an impact?

It's definitely an improvement in reliability and performance. The Chinese balances are not so robust and are subject to drift. That's the first thing I would change.

Reactions: Doubledangers

Doubledangers

Horology Curious
25/6/23
Alaska
I’m curious, why would you upgrade the balance wheel? To make it look more like the gen?
Not just the balance wheel, but the complete balance, pallet fork, escapement wheel etc. The idea would be to get closer to that COSC -2/+2 rating with a hefty boost in performance that a free sprung balance with variable inertia weights might give you.

Yolo9494

Supporter
Certified
1/5/23
Uk
Not just the balance wheel, but the complete balance, pallet fork, escapement wheel etc. The idea would be to get closer to that COSC -2/+2 rating with a hefty boost in performance that a free sprung balance with variable inertia weights might give you.
Ah ok fairs. Sounds like a challenging undertaking but I have very little expertise on this. I saw something before though with the movement gen js free wheeling balance but the reps have regulated balance which is the only thing physically different about the two. If there’s a way to fix that it’d be sweet because technically I think that’s the only part of the watch that is different from the real thing. At least in the dj’s

krmaxkr

Horology Curious
10/3/24
Hello ,

I am newbies, i have DD3285 with a bad balance-wheel with blue hairspring , can someone could let me know where i can purchase a new
balancewheel with blue spring for the this movement?

Thanks in advance

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
Hello ,

I am newbies, i have DD3285 with a bad balance-wheel with blue hairspring , can someone could let me know where i can purchase a new
balancewheel with blue spring for the this movement?

Thanks in advance
Gen balances can be found on eBay or chrono24. They are not inexpensive.

Your other option is posting a WTB ad on RWI for a vs3235 or dd3285 (they are the same) balance complete. You may find there are members who have swapped in a gen balance and have a spare rep balance in their parts drawer.

Good luck.

Reactions: WatchSmith.US

krmaxkr

Horology Curious
10/3/24
Gen balances can be found on eBay or chrono24. They are not inexpensive.

Your other option is posting a WTB ad on RWI for a vs3235 or dd3285 (they are the same) balance complete. You may find there are members who have swapped in a gen balance and have a spare rep balance in their parts drawer.

Good luck.
Thank you! still looking to find one... If you have it in stock i can ship the watch for you to install and full service, please advise. I emailed you few weeks ago

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
Thank you! still looking to find one... If you have it in stock i can ship the watch for you to install and full service, please advise. I emailed you few weeks ago
I’m not a vendor here. I’m just a retired engineer / physicist who likes to play with watches in his spare time. But I’m sure there are official service providers in the Trusted Vendors section who could help you with this project. Also, my email isn’t publicly associated with my RWI account, so if you emailed somebody, it wasn’t me.

krmaxkr

Horology Curious
10/3/24
I’m not a vendor here. I’m just a retired engineer / physicist who likes to play with watches in his spare time. But I’m sure there are official service providers in the Trusted Vendors section who could help you with this project. Also, my email isn’t publicly associated with my RWI account, so if you emailed somebody, it wasn’t me.
Sorry my bad!