• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

VS/Clean vs Mido Ocean Star

Deviator

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/8/17
Ok, so I poses VSF Sub 126610, it's perfect for it's price of 500-600 eur pricerange. Everting is top notch, even accuracy is like -1/+3 sec.

And now, even thought VSF is a top model, I'm having a weird destructive thought which haunts me at night and I'm finding myself more and more thinking about Mido 200 and 200c divers.

And my question is - where does the Mido 200c stands, as a watch which casts 2x more then the all mighty VS/Clean sub Reps?

Will I get a "better" watch overall in finishing or movement department?

I bet then case finishing would be much better in VSF, but it's my wild guess.

The only difference I know so far is Mido's some kind of anti magnetic balanc-spring "Nivachron", whatever it means. And I believe Chinese moments do not have anti magnetic stuff.

Deviator

29/8/17
Yeah, it's a better worming thought than recent news or politics.

ETAWatchlover

5/7/16
Well reps are reps .You will get a wow effect with these reps because they are nicely made and look a lot like the genuine counterpart. However the quality will never be consistent.It may have a glidelock clasp and a ceramic bezel and a sapphire crystal however small details can be off center,scratched, stuck etc. In general you will have a nice watch but a brand like midi has professional quality control, warranties.
The mido might have a less technical clasp that has some rattling pieces however those pieces are meant to rattle .On a Noob sub clasp parts rattle that are not supposed to due to bad engineering .

If you like the design of a Rolex more then go for it but know how and where to get them serviced .

TheBigJS

Play nicely
Supporter
Certified
7/12/22
UK
Well reps are reps .You will get a wow effect with these reps because they are nicely made and look a lot like the genuine counterpart. However the quality will never be consistent.It may have a glidelock clasp and a ceramic bezel and a sapphire crystal however small details can be off center,scratched, stuck etc. In general you will have a nice watch but a brand like midi has professional quality control, warranties.
The mido might have a less technical clasp that has some rattling pieces however those pieces are meant to rattle .On a Noob sub clasp parts rattle that are not supposed to due to bad engineering .

If you like the design of a Rolex more then go for it but know how and where to get them serviced .
Interesting that you think a "cheap" gen is supposed to rattle and a decent rep rattles cause it's badly made.

I'll tell you right now, both my VSF Subs are considerably better quality than a Tag Heuer Aquaracer. And that's the owner of that watches opinion as well. "This really pisses me of, this [his Tag] was the best part of £2k and that [my VSF Sub] is a better actual watch despite the fact it's a fake" was what he said.
I've had it side by side with a real Rolex, it really isn't different world build quality, I've handed it to people who own real Rolex's, no one has even questioned it.

Deviator

29/8/17
"This really pisses me of, this [his Tag] was the best part of £2k and that [my VSF Sub] is a better actual watch despite the fact it's a fake" was what he said.
I delayed Mido purchase because I doubt Mido would be a better watch overall.

For instance I noticed that bezel is not ceramic, so it's downgrade.

I also noted that some 2.000 Eur diver watches have brushed dial indexes and hands, which is a bone killer for me. Why should I pay 4x more for a lesser finishing time piece.

Plus I'm undergoing Seiko presage service, 1000 eur watch suddenly (after 10-20 times of wear) giving me 7.0 beat error, and behaves erratically, which has sunken my confidence in genuine watches around 1000-2000 eur worth.

Deviator

29/8/17
Maby this comparison video of @CTime with VSF, Clean and genuine will give you peace of mind!

Thanks, it's a nice video, the guy compares only the visual difference between gen and reps.

However it does not answers existential question, which I guess we all have to answer to ourselves - is the 2000 Eur gen Diver a better watch then a 500 Eur replica.

It's a shame TDs do not offer de-branded submariners , since I believe VSF/Clean timepeace would be superior to any 1000+ gen watches. Then you can wear it without attracting too much attention. Maybe Seiko divers around 2000 Eur would beat the VSF/Clean though.

For instance new SPB383

3ydr6j.png

Explorrertime

11/3/22
NL
Thanks, it's a nice video, the guy compares only the visual difference between gen and reps.

However it does not answers existential question, which I guess we all have to answer to ourselves - is the 2000 Eur gen Diver a better watch then a 500 Eur replica.

It's a shame TDs do not offer de-branded submariners , since I believe VSF/Clean timepeace would be superior to any 1000+ gen watches. Then you can wear it without attracting too much attention. Maybe Seiko divers around 2000 Eur would beat the VSF/Clean though.

For instance new SPB383

3ydr6j.png
Fair enough! In that case you could just mod your rep with a brand less dial, or going custom, loads of custom dial makers out there. I don't think a rep factory would make brand less watches, since their main target audience still want's reps.

Reactions: TheBigJS

TheBigJS

Play nicely
Supporter
Certified
7/12/22
UK
It's a shame TDs do not offer de-branded submariners , since I believe VSF/Clean timepeace would be superior to any 1000+ gen watches. Then you can wear it without attracting too much attention.
You think a Sub stands out less because a word about 1.5mm tall that you have to be within about 2m of me to read is on the dial?

This is why I've said and continue to say I do not understand people thinking homages (as in the almost 1-1 copies, not things like this) are fine and replics are the work of the devil.

For instance new SPB383

3ydr6j.png
Its a shame they didn't actually made some end links that actually match the case!
£1500?
-15/+25 seconds per day?
>3x the price and about 5 times less accurate.
That IS NOT VSF quality! It's barely £180 Facebook market place quality!