• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

VR3186 - Swapping Balance & Bridge for Gens

freddy333

Former RWG Mod
Supporter
10/10/24
Has anyone successfully replaced the balance and balance bridge on a VR3186 with gen parts (i.e., gen 3135 balance & bridge)?
I've done this a number of times on 1167xx Daytona clones without any issues. However, I'm unable to get a gen balance to run properly in the clone.

Specifically, the balance runs fast with very little power when the balance is facing up. However, it stops if the movement is tilted in any direction. Also, oddly, the hacking fails to stop the movement when engaged. However, replacing the clone balance/bridge everything runs perfectly.

I've searched the forums, but didn't find anything about this.
Anyone done this before?

p.s. Thank you Mods!

Reactions: wildrabbit

themaxx25

If you fall, I will catch you, I'll be waiting...
Supporter
Patron
Certified
5/4/24
CONUS
I’m glad you asked this, I was curious if it was a simple swap in…

freddy333

Former RWG Mod
Supporter
10/10/24
Assuming the clone actually is a clone, it should be a simple parts swap, which is why I am confused as to why it did not work.

However -- & this is a BIG however -- I do not have a Rolex tech manual for recent movements like the 3186, so I am a bit handicapped when it comes to selecting the correct parts. In the case of the balance, I have asked a few fellow watchmakers if they know what the correct balance for this movement is? Unfortunately, like me, none of them have the latest Rolex technical guides to cover this movement. So it is possible that I simply have the wrong balance. However, I am awaiting a more definite answer from someone with the correct manual. Hopefully, his input will allow me to get this project completed to the same level of success as all of my previous Daytonas.

I will keep this thread updated as I gain new info & the project progresses.

Reactions: themaxx25