• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

VR3135 & SH3135v2 Comparison.

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
ATL
I was hoping I had another SHv1 in my stash but it's a bad SA one so, this is a VR/SHv2 comparison.

There has been speculation and confusion thrown at this new SHv2. Some dealers are saying SH and VR are the same now, others are saying flat out it is a VR. Only reason being the VR-style balance complete.

My suspicion began when I started seeing timegrapher behavior that trended closer to the SH's I've had than the VR's I've had. I'm no expert, but I feel I've had plenty.

VR's tend to have more conservative numbers when it comes to amplitude, around 260-ish max after a service, they tend to settle at 240-250 for me. These SHv2's are running quite above that, some getting close to 300 degrees. In movements, there is such thing as "too healthy".

So I ventured on and got a new VR movement to swap out as I trust VR. They have proven their worth for years now.

Let's dig in and see what we find.

Disclaimers: I am not an expert photographer or a watchmaker. These differences I will point out are not all and I welcome you eagle-eyed members to add more differences you see.

Hys7EP.jpeg

First that stuck me was the finishing on the dial side. The VR has a quite plain finish, sort of beadblasted. The SH has the perlage or circle-finishing.

HysvrJ.jpeg

HysNHW.jpeg

HyuHoi.jpeg

HyuzgX.jpeg

Hyuj4c.jpeg

HyuZ1I.jpeg

Next, the automatic winding bridge branding.

On the VR, we see some fine finishing on the lettering, I would even say it is etched.

HyuDH4.jpeg

HyscNj.jpeg

HysVt1.jpeg

HysJev.jpeg

Hysb0K.jpeg

On the V2, we see they're painted on and already faded or in the process off. The font looks quite thin as well.

HyuaMn.jpeg

HyuW1E.jpeg

HyuUK2.jpeg

HyueNt.jpeg

HyuLtF.jpeg

HyuA55.jpeg

Hyuh0p.jpeg

HyuKPb.jpeg

To my naked eyed, all this SHv2 dribble seems like a vaguely prettied-up VR3135. I say vaguely because of the printing vs etching of the brandings.

The balance complete looks entirely the same, sans the position variance of the cap jewel pivot hole. VR is looking north east, on the V2 it is straight north.

Dial side, it all looks the same with the exception of the perlage. The date font is very much the same. We see more blued screws on the V2.

I'm certain that the SHv2 would perform greatly with a service.

Full Album: https://clickpix.org/album/VRSHV2.Znbt5

Last edited: