• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Volunteers needed for an experiment

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
Tink131 said:
Thanks for the encouragment Willster, we'll see what the teacher has to say! :roll:
I feel that if I just left you on your own, you'd eventually get it perfect. You can visibly see your learning process in action. Look at the first pic you posted and the last. You appear to be getting more and more to grips with your camera, and more comfortable with the results. If I were you, I'd just keep at it, posting pics here, asking for comments, etc.

Admit it, you yourself are impressed by your improvements. Didn't know you had it in you, etc. Well, do carry on, because it gets easier for a while, then it suddenly gets much harder. I'll be here waiting.

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
f4juk said:
Second, with a plane background...(sorry, couldn't resist!)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ok, if you want a pic of a watch in front of a background like that, you need to focus on the watch. The easy way of doing this is using manual focus, but let's not go there as your camera may not even give you that option. What you want to do is put the watch dead on centre and half-press the shutter. See how that focusses it?

At this point, there are three paths: One is to learn how to get your camera to focus at an object off-centre, another is to focus the camera with the half-press and then move the watch to the side, keeping it the same distance from the camera as before, and the last is to take a picture and crop it so the watch is off-centre. The last one is by far the easiest.

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
f4juk said:
pug06040401.jpg
Black is hard. Really, really hard. It shouldn't be, but it is. You need to have total control over your lighting. I'd not call it a basic technique, to be honest, and assuming it can be fixed in Photoshop afterwards is not a good move. :D

Let me show you what can be done in the lens with adequate lighting (my lighting sucks, I work around it a lot) and a lot of patience. I'm not expecting anyone to be able to do this after a few weeks of practice, and what I'm doing here is nowhere near pro-quality. If you want to see what the pros do, look at TTK's pics (way better than mine) ... and add a bit.

sub-2.jpg

Nebakanezzar

Known Member
16/3/06
This is a Awsome idea! I just got my 1st digi cam, canon A540, now I gotta learn how to use it.....