• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Vintage Sub - Insert Mods

Edge

I'm Pretty Popular
15/3/06
I recently decided to undertake mods myself, I have been successfull so far with IMHO a Beautifull 1680. Now it is the turn of the Bond Sub, which I recently received from silix. Nice watch for the price and a good starting point for mods.

This is a very quick peak into ageing the bezel insert to be more weather beaten and vintage.

REALLY SIMPLE!!!

Take 1 Muller Yoghurt.....eat said yoghurt.......wash pot........fill pot with detergent.......put insert into pot.......leave for 2 mins........rub with tissue/cloth...let dry

VERY VERY SIMPLE.

HOWEVER!!!!!!!!

Do not do what I did at first and leave the insert in for 30 mins....forgot about it lol.

Here you can see the finished product on the watch, and also my first attempt lol:

Bond1.jpg

Here she is with the beautiful 1680 I mentioned:

Subs1.jpg

And finally Rep Rollie + Gen Dolce....perfect:

BondDolce.jpg

See how easy it is.

Enjoy!

More threads to come once I actually get the finger out and start working on the case and dial.

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Have you gotten the dremel tool? Insert is slightly to the right... can be the photo angle.

halley

Horology Curious
30/3/06
I'm also awaiting this one, did you aged the dial and hands?

Edge

I'm Pretty Popular
15/3/06
No this is ROL 186 and came with the tellowed hand and dial....personally not a fan...so am gonna dye it myself

Edge

I'm Pretty Popular
15/3/06
I have actually seen a couple of gens with the greyed bezel insert. It is only ususally when owned by a collector who doen't want the integrity of the original parts compromised. The couple that I have seen both had the original bezel inserts on them, with NO replacement parts whatsoever, one of the watches had been to rolex 3 times in 35 years, this one belonged to a family friend. He was very clear that he wanted the movement serviced, but under no circumstances were they to change any of the parts. The crystal on it is pretty beat up lol, but it still has all original parts, which is pretty impressive.

Chris

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
Excellent work Edge. That Silix Bond Sub looks really convincing.

That particular rep model has been recommended by Dr. Nanuq I presume? :D

Edge

I'm Pretty Popular
15/3/06
Why of course, the doctor made a recommendation and I jumped on it lol. For the price you can't really complain much, bracelet is crap but that can be replaced lol. Looking forward to getting inside it and giving it a good going over.

Chris

sevomd

Renowned Member
31/3/06
How would you compare the silix bond to the one Luckyy has??

Eddy

Edge

I'm Pretty Popular
15/3/06
According to Nanuq, the silix version is actually a better start point if you intend to make it as close to gen as possible.

I have to say tho, the bracelet that comes on the silix version is GASH....REALLY BAD.......easily fixed tho.

Chris

sevomd

Renowned Member
31/3/06
Thanx Edge

Would I be ablle to get an aftermarket bracelet for the Silix one. How much would a gen bracelet cost? i don't know much about Rollies, and I think I want to start getting into the Vintage.

Eddy

Edge

I'm Pretty Popular
15/3/06
Aftermarket high quality bracelet from WM $39.

Genuine $250 + and in most cases $300+...they are rare and VERY VERY saught after.

6536 is a good choice and for $60 or whatever it is can't really complain. It is ROL186, but you may also want to consider ROL187 on the site, but think that is out of stock lol....the red insert is what I prefer but actually most 6536 came with WHITE insert very few came with red.

Chris