• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Vintage SM300

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
This is the vintage 300M that has gotten some discussion here and elsewhere. I picked it up from Hont. He says it has the 4813 inside. I haven't opened it up yet. The price was fair and Hont's service was characteristically superb.

I got a mesh bracelet for this (Thanks to LHOOQ) off e-bay for $25 shipped. Here are some photos and some observations. But let's not call this a review because I know nothing about watches. But the saying that applies to art applies to watches: "I know what I like." And I really like this watch.

40mm case, 20mm lugs. Nice weight and very comfortable. Acrylic crystal, which is very appealing to me.

It winds up nicely and seems to be well behaved. Screw down crown, of course.

The fonts on the dial are off a bit from the gen. The "e" in Seamaster, for example. The lume is, well, rep lume. I chose the no date version, as you can see. There may be some variance in where the case is or isn't polished, relative to the gen. Whatever.

The bezel insert is well marked and close to the gen. Looking at the case's lines, the PO seems to be descended from this design:

Vintage300M007.jpg

The gen case features a nicer curvature than this. It's 12.5mm thick overall. The spacing of the Omega "feet" on the crown is closer than on the gen:

Vintage300M005.jpg

The NATO strap that Hont provided is a throw-away. This or any mesh is suitable:

Vintage300M008.jpg

The caseback markings seem consistent with the gen:

Vintage300M003.jpg

This photo is obviously from Hont's site. The PO case is heavily suggested here. Heck, it may be cut with the same tooling! The gen crown is more prominent than this. This may be an aesthetic improvement:

Hont.jpg

There are problems with the markings on this bezel. They are longer at the 25 and 35 position than at 5/15/etc. I don't have a good shot that shows it:

Vintage300M004.jpg

Those of you who have seen other of my ramblings know that I am no purist. There may be newer versions of this watch in the future that addresses the things I cited. My only advice is ask your dealer for a detailed picture of the bezel insert in the area of 30 (6:00).

If you have any questions, you can PM me or post them here.

Thanks for looking at my new, fave watch. I just love this darn thing.

avenger007

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
21/2/09
Looks great, TB! I really like it on the mesh. I'm torn between this and the SO Heritage on the mesh bracelet. Accurate or not, it is a real beauty!

LHOOQ

I'm Pretty Popular
4/4/09
Terrific-looking combination, and I'm glad you're enjoying the SM300!

A good NATO strap is nearly timeless, but mesh evokes a specific era of shark hunts and deep sea dives in the 70s. While you may not be wearing an actual piece of history, the mental associations can be very satisfying.

takeo

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/9/09
It really is a nice rep. I can probably live with it's flaws just as you do but I really love the gen's profile and this rep fails to "rep" it. Also the crown seems to be hidden by the case. I will say this, if this was an "homage" I would buy it instantly. It's just that nice!

phillycheez

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/6/09
nice pick up friend! very unique. its 40mm too! i might have to pick one up myself.

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
It really is a nice rep. I can probably live with it's flaws just as you do but I really love the gen's profile and this rep fails to "rep" it. Also the crown seems to be hidden by the case. I will say this, if this was an "homage" I would buy it instantly. It's just that nice!

The gen crown is far more prominent. I am not sure yet whether that is better overall than this rep, and I share your perspective. We'll see.