• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Vintage Seamaster 300 Franken

LHOOQ

I'm Pretty Popular
4/4/09
986216492_SKb78-X3.jpg

It's funny how quickly you can get drawn into these projects. At the start of this month, I had just finished my Space-Dweller, but was busy sorting out my other 1016 build (still incomplete). So it's not like I needed something else to take my time and money! But I was feeling insomniac that night, so I was off to browse the auctions for items on my long-term wish list. The second-generation Seamaster 300 has been on that list for some time.

The Buy
I found the auction for this SM300: With 20 hours to go, the price was still hovering around the $200 mark with just a handful of bidders. For a vintage SM300, that was unusual, but I could see why: It was obviously a fake. They used to call these cases Vietnamese, but I'm not so sure if that's still true. It looked to be the same kind that Yuki sells.

The seller was local, so I asked if he could remove the US-only restriction on the auction. He said sure, but cautioned that there was some question about the watch's authenticity. So I responded: "I do not believe you have an original SM300. I am pretty sure that you have an aftermarket case, bezel, and dial, and I am willing to pay fairly on that basis." It turns out that this auction had caught the attention of the eager beavers at WUS-Omega, so maybe I should thank them for scaring the bidders away!

I do believe that the seller honestly thought he had a genuine Omega. Based on his transaction history, he was more of a Rolex guy and when I spoke to him, he seemed mortified at the thought that he may be selling a fake. He sounded very relieved when I took the SM300 off his hands. I met up with his messenger at the shop of my watchsmith, who looked over the Cal.552 and pronounced it to be in good working condition. I paid in cash and took my prize. Here's how it looked when I first received it:

986218441_thG33-X3.jpg

986218291_nJpNM-X3.jpg

Let's run down what's immediately wrong with it:

• Dial had "stubbies" (read: minute lines that extend past the hour markers), which are all too familiar to anyone who has researched an SM300 purchase.
  • Sweep hand was too short and unpainted.
  • Case was polished all around, not alternatingly brushed/polished.
  • Bezel markings were colored like pickled radishes. (Koreans call them danmuji!)
  • Also, the crown was absent because the stem had broken (disclosed).

Post-Purchase Planning

Considering how many buyers this sort of watch has fooled, I had assumed that this was a 1:1 case. My early plan, then, was to replace key bits with genuine parts. A white sweep hand was a must, and that day-glo bezel had to go! However, I soon discovered this wasn't going to be as straightforward as I'd thought.

This "replacement case" is definitely NOT a 1:1 replication. The case may look like a spitting image, but the dimensions are significantly different in crucial areas like the crystal and bezel diameters. And by "significantly" I mean that you can't just trim a bit of plastic--the crystal's OD is off by 0.9mm. There was also no way to get a genuine bezel to fit without somehow adding metal to the outside of the rehaut.

Bezel Headaches
The bezel deserves special mention as it is dimensionally and functionally different from the gen. The rep turns counter-clockwise only, with 120 clicks. The gen is bidirectional with 60 clicks, ratcheted by three, sprung, ball bearings that are recessed into the case. The rep has two drilled holes, but only one of them contains a sprung roller bearing. They're really serious about cutting costs, aren't they? Gen without bezel is on the left, and the outline of the bezel teeth is clearly outlined on the case.

986216762_2WQbt-X3.jpg
986216832_aDxQ3-X3.jpg

And here's a mash-up of the back and front of gen and rep bezels, showing the difference in construction. Gen is on the upper half:

986217027_XYgv7-X3.jpg

Different dimensions, and different construction, so the bezel would have to stay. That depressed me, since I really, really hated the way it looked. It was an ugly color, and an instant tell, while replacing the insert was not a realistic option. I almost shelved this project, until I got the idea to artificially age the insert. I bought a few things from the hobby shop and started experimenting. In the end, the winning formula was unevenly applied Tamiya "Smoke" (to suggest tritium decay) buried under several layers of clearcoat. Some sanding to flatten the surface, some polishing so it wouldn't look as if it had just been sanded... done! My first-ever vintagizing job, and I'm happy with how it turned out.

Sourcing a Dial
The original dial wasn't bad, but those notorious stubbies were giving me fits. I remembered the cartel rep had a pretty good dial, and contacted a member at RWG whom I knew had a spare. Unfortunately, it was almost 3mm too big:

986232185_G5tjc-X3.jpg

Not even close, but I had an alternative -a much more expensive Plan B- lined up.

The Build
Here are the genuine parts I used: Crown, stem, hands, gasket, 1171/1 bracelet with 633 endlinks, and... a NOS no-date dial:

986248940_tLEC3-X3.jpg

The case was refinished for the brushed/polished/satin look:

986245455_QLFnS-X3.jpg

986245691_x4Zkf-X3.jpg

The bracelet, as mentioned previously, is an 1171/1. It's not rare, and used examples aren't expensive. It is, however, a great-looking bracelet that's very comfortable to wear. The only negative is the clasp, which is incredibly tight and punishes my fingertips whenever I open it. Lately I've become used to wearing vintage Rolex Oysters, and I forget just how much better contemporary Omega bracelets were!

986216666_wEBnt-X3.jpg

The dimensions may be off, but the tall bezel and spindly lugs define the Seamaster 300:

986217446_3ZjLx-X3.jpg

The legendary Cal.552, which I consider one of the most beautiful, mass-produced automatics ever made. On the caseback, note the pointed 'A' on 'WATERPROOF'--this is a tell! Also note the ill-fitting, too-thick rubber gasket. This is the fault of the case, which has too shallow a groove for the O-ring. If the caseback looks like it's protruding in the other pictures, that's because it is.

986217348_fjPwX-X3.jpg

On the pillow, and on the wrist. 633 endlinks are assigned to the SM300, but are not a perfect fit. I understand that this is also true for the gen. I do know that I had to sand the edges down to get it between the lugs of both this SM300 and my gen Speedmaster. I scratched up the insides of the Speedy's lugs pretty badly.

986254567_92H5o-X3.jpg
986254453_bapdN-X3.jpg

Future Upgrades?
A 20mm mesh bracelet would be a nice option, but I'm good ith the 1171 for now. Really, all that separates my PUSM300 ("Penultimate Seamaster 300"!) from "NOS" status is a replacement case set from Omega. It's pricey, but it comes with a caseback, crystal, and the all-important bezel with lumed markers. If you haven't seen a NOS SM300 at night, believe me, it's a thing of beauty. But I can wait.

I'm happy with how this watch turned out, and it seems to have scratched my SM300 itch. Now I just have to stay off eBay tonight...

986217584_AMUPB-X3.jpg

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Wow! Nice write up and story.
Great job with her.

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
Thank you for the detailed post. You are very resourceful and this project's result is amazing.

The bezel problem was resolved nicely, IMO. Now, to find a suitable mesh!

I am getting more comfortable with the modding/franken part of this hobby after seeing your fantastic results. Thanks again!

JC7

Put Some Respect On My Name
15/6/10
Lhooq, you are the man.. your photos are amazing and you are an awesome resource for us all. Thanks for spending time here and sharing with us man.

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
Thanks for taking the time to share this with us. Great photos to go with the narrative made for a great read... :)

LHOOQ

I'm Pretty Popular
4/4/09
Thanks for the kind words, guys! I've had it on my wrist all weekend, and it's enormously satisfying to see it there. I've been spending a lot of time with Rolex reps and frankens lately, but deep down, I'm really an Omega Man!

Now, to find a suitable mesh!

You know that Omega mesh I use on my DSN Blancpain? That WAS supposed to be for my eventual SM300. Unfortunately, I was so excited about seeing a genuine mesh "in the wild" that I failed to notice it was a 22mm! These types of mistake could end up costing me a lot more down the road, because I might just use it to justify getting a Flightmaster!

LHOOQ

I'm Pretty Popular
4/4/09
Some of you might have noticed that the bracelet was worn smooth, to the point of being polished. (Alternatively, it might have been polished by the previous owner!) For example, check out the reflection of the movement on the clasp.

Initially, I found this to be a nice bit of patina that suggested an older piece. After second and third glances, I think it looks a bit tatty and a mismatch with the rest of the watch, most notably the brand-new endlinks. So I asked my watchsmith for a correction:

990686302_QVhMJ-X3.jpg

990686467_wY8dR-X3.jpg

Getting better!

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Nice! I always enjoy your stories. Keep them going please. :)

OldeCrow

I'm Pretty Popular
13/4/06
That is a real stunner of a franken! I've been camping on a small stash of omega 55x movements for just such a rainy day project, might have to scratch that itch myself! :thumbsup:

woof*

Renowned Member
25/12/10
Amazing watch and pictures...now I have to get one!
There's a 1966 NOS/mint gen on ebay right now from aus..If only I had the $

LHOOQ

I'm Pretty Popular
4/4/09
I'm always happy to see an old thread get resurrected, especially if it's for one of my favorites! The SM300 is a very versatile and comfortable watch with a bomb-proof movement. I've got a bit more work planned for it in the next couple of months, so stay tuned.

Lars X.

Looking Around
16/11/10
Just saw this post for the first time--nicely done! I'd be interested in your thoughts about that case--as you say it's not gen, but it does have the tall bezel, which differentiates it from the reps being sold that have a flatter profile. So where do you think that case was sourced? I'd love a vintage 300 with a truer case and the tall bezel is a big part of that.

LHOOQ

I'm Pretty Popular
4/4/09
My case is the same one that Yuki sells. Or used to sell, to be precise. According to a few members, it's currently out of stock at Yukiwatch.

As far as I know, the Vietnamese fake SM300s first started showing up about 10-15 years ago. Look up "fake seamaster 300" and you should find a lot of materials about them. My case and dial shared several features with those old fakes (stubbies on the dials, coloration, &c.) but is different in many other respects (caseback does not say "CERTIFED", for one thing). So I really don't know where this case comes from. The safe betting is Vietnam or China!

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Just beautiful!
986217348_fjPwX-X3.jpg

You have a great watch!