• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Vintage Omega Seamaster Circa Mid 1970s, great gen under a grand !

richyzfr1

Getting To Know The Place
31/7/23
Wakefield
Hi Guys

Decided I wanted a vintage gen after making serveral rep purchases recently.

Unfortunately I don't quite have the budget for a decent vintage Rolex, decided to look at Omega and picked this one up from ebay under a grand !

I have read that there are quote a lot of vintage Omega cheap reps about so made sure the seller looked legit with all feedback at 100% from over 150 watches sold.

Having no experience with these older watches , when it arrived I was surprised by how lightweight, rattly and flimsy it felt, but have been reassured that they all felt like this at this age and not like the modern heavy ships anchers we wear today.

I've since had it checked at my local watchmaker and confrimed to be all original.

eBoy

⚜️ RWI NMA Chief Bracelet Link Remover ⛓️‍💥🔗🪛🔧
Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
A place of darkness and light a.k.a. EU
Pre-1990 Vintage Omegas are nothing like modern Omegas, at least the majority of them (except SM 300 and Speedmasters).

I say this as an outspoken Omega fan. But unfortunately, it's the truth. If it's flimsy, rattly and feels cheap, it's a safe sign that it's gen. 😂

richyzfr1

Getting To Know The Place
31/7/23
Wakefield
Pre-1990 Vintage Omegas are nothing like modern Omegas, at least the majority of them (except SM 300 and Speedmasters).

I say this as an outspoken Omega fan. But unfortunately, it's the truth. If it's flimsy, rattly and feels cheap, it's a safe sign that it's gen. 😂
Having now read several articles about this, most owners seem to love the fact that they feel like that, and to be fair I really love the watch too !

eBoy

Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Having now read several articles about this, most owners seem to love the fact that they feel like that, and to be fair I really love the watch too !

Don’t get me wrong. I love vintage Omegas and own them too. Also, very nice piece you got there.

I was just pointing out that some people have distorted expectations. I think the price gives a good indication of what to expect, but some people think they're getting a robust vintage Submariner for $800 and are deeply disappointed when the watch is delivered.

Reactions: richyzfr1

eBoy

Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Also, I think many buyers are unaware that Omega decided to water down the "Seamaster" brand (no pun intended) in the 70s and 80s and produced 3bar dress watches in the Seamaster line, but they expect a "Seamaster" to be a robust watch when in reality the majority of Seamasters in this era were very fragile watches meant to be worn in the office and at cocktail parties.

dpd3672

Putting the "whore" in "horology" since 2023
Supporter
Certified
29/5/23
USA
IMO, Omegas are a great bargain in vintage watches, up to around 2010 vintage or so. There are lots of bargains to be found in Constellations and Seamasters, many well under $1000. Lots of variations on the Seamaster, even professional, make buying a rep less appealing.

Other than the specific Bond SMPs, the other colors and sizes can be found for about what a decent rep costs.

Take it from me, as unappealing as some of the designs might be, any one of them might "take off" with collectors. When I got into watches, about 25 years ago, Ploprof, Speedmaster Mark II-Mark IV, Flightmasters, and other, clunky watches from the '70s were sitting unsold for $300-500...now they're selling for 10-20x that.

I suspect the Seamaster 120m, 200m, and 300m from the 80s to 2010 or so are going to eventually have a huge following.

Reactions: richyzfr1

eBoy

Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
I suspect the Seamaster 120m, 200m, and 300m from the 80s to 2010 or so are going to eventually have a huge following.

In part they already do. 1960s SM 300 with proof of actual history of British military use will set you back more than a Royal Oak at retail. 😉

Reactions: dpd3672

dpd3672

Supporter
Certified
29/5/23
USA
In part they already do. 1960s SM 300 with proof of actual history of British military use will set you back more than a Royal Oak at retail. 😉
Yes, they're basically Omega's 5517.

But I was referring more to the consumer models. I suspect they'll find their stride in the not so distant future. The Bond model goes for a premium, but the 36mm, quartz models, and ones in "other than Bond" color combinations are still a bargain.

Last edited:

eBoy

Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Yup, bunch of Omega neo-vintage pieces that are constantly gaining value at the moment. The "sword hands" Seamaster too.

Got20Mate

Hunting for the perfect Speedy rep!
Patron
Certified
20/7/22
UK
I've always liked the bond mid size blue Seamaster and had one for a while, now sold unfortunately. Shouldn't have sold it, always liked it.

dpd3672

Supporter
Certified
29/5/23
USA
I've always liked the bond mid size blue Seamaster and had one for a while, now sold unfortunately. Shouldn't have sold it, always liked it.
Mid size is still reasonably priced, as is quartz. It's the full size auto that's getting a bit pricey.