• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Vintage Omega reps?

rooster133

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/7/08
Hello, new member here. Loving the forum! I have been collecting old Omega gens for a while (e.g., Connies from the 50s, Seamasters from the 60s, military models from the 40s, bumpers from the 30s, etc.). My question is: Are there any vintage reps out there? I mean reps that were designed and manufactured to look like old classics. I would suspect that the market for these is fairly small, particularly given that many old Omegas are quite affordable already. Yet I wonder whether anyone has come across any vintage Omega reps...
Thanks - Rooster [smilie=tongue3.gif]

seanf

Mythical Poster
Advisor
29/11/06
rooster133 said:
Hello, new member here. Loving the forum! I have been collecting old Omega gens for a while (e.g., Connies from the 50s, Seamasters from the 60s, military models from the 40s, bumpers from the 30s, etc.). My question is: Are there any vintage reps out there? I mean reps that were designed and manufactured to look like old classics. I would suspect that the market for these is fairly small, particularly given that many old Omegas are quite affordable already. Yet I wonder whether anyone has come across any vintage Omega reps...

Funny you should mention this, as I was researching this myself not long ago. Short answer is "not really." You may be able to find a couple of reps of a few older pieces here and here (I seem to recall a rep of the Ploplof a few years back), but in general, there really hasn't been much of a concerted effort on the part of the rep industry to focus on Omega vintage reps. Unlike vintage Rolex and PAMs, you can still get really good prices for the majority of gen Omega vintage stuff. In fact, if you look on ebay, it's unusual to find a vintage Omega for more than a couple of hundred dollars. So if you're interested in vintage Omega, the best way to go is to just pick one up used. They all have a lifetime warranty, so regardless of the condition of the watch, they'll fix it. But, as I recently learned, the cost to recondition them is probably going to be more than the watch. Average price of a top to bottom reconditioning is about $700, and it takes about 3 to 4 months.

Klink

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
15/3/06
Member Goofy is expert on vintage watches, has quite a collection.

rooster133

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/7/08
seanf said:
rooster133 said:

Funny you should mention this, as I was researching this myself not long ago. Short answer is "not really." You may be able to find a couple of reps of a few older pieces here and here (I seem to recall a rep of the Ploplof a few years back), but in general, there really hasn't been much of a concerted effort on the part of the rep industry to focus on Omega vintage reps. Unlike vintage Rolex and PAMs, you can still get really good prices for the majority of gen Omega vintage stuff. In fact, if you look on ebay, it's unusual to find a vintage Omega for more than a couple of hundred dollars. So if you're interested in vintage Omega, the best way to go is to just pick one up used. They all have a lifetime warranty, so regardless of the condition of the watch, they'll fix it. But, as I recently learned, the cost to recondition them is probably going to be more than the watch. Average price of a top to bottom reconditioning is about $700, and it takes about 3 to 4 months.

Hey thanks, makes sense. Though I have had a few bad experiences buying vintage Omegas on eBay. In my experience you need to spend at least $500 for a reasonably good one, and even then, you may still end up with a dud, a redial, or a frankenwatch. There are so many bad deals dressed as good deals on eBay it's ridiculous! Also, sending it back to Bienne would be justified only with a really precious piece. So I still prefer to inspect them myself before buying, and take them to my own watchmaker for servicing. In any case, with some vintage Omegas running in the thousands of dollars I thought there might have been some good reps out there. I have seen numerous fake WWW's on eBay, thrown together using pieces from a range of old watches. But never anything on a large scale. Hey, I would be interested in seeing one of those Ploprof reps you mentioned... That would be quite interesting to see! :lol:

b16a2

13/1/07
I have never come across any, but as has already been mentioned, they can be picked up for reasonable prices (gens) Some of the older Seamasters and Devilles are stunning, you get a lot of watch for your money!

WackoBirdKeeper

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
23/3/06
New Jersey, USA
rooster133 said:

How about this one?

VOMEGA001.jpg

VOMEGA002.jpg

VOMEGA003.jpg

VOMEGA004.jpg